Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Yeah, you're right. I'm just looking to screw the team over so Lowry can be happy.
    Or, you know, it really makes absolutely no difference.

Bosh and Jack: absolutely great friends who played together for us. Didn't elevate either's game and didn't help team chemistry.

Jose and Garbo: also great friends who played together for us. Likely their friendship didn't really influence each other's game or help team chemistry. BUT, the team was quite successful as a team with them. WHY? Because they're pros who would bring the same attitude if they had to play with their mortal enemy.

Friendship is nice....but really, it makes no difference. I find it hilarious when people use it a reason to acquire a player. Is it helpful to have a team where everyone is friendly? Yes, of course. Obviously you don't want your players to hate each other, and you want them to like each other enough. But there's also no guarantee that it helps really elevate any one player's game, or the team as a whole.

Comment

Are you sure you're not mistaking Rudy Gay for Rasual Butler?

Clearly, we're talking about 2 different people.
      have you ever even watched Rudy Gay play. Raps fans hate on Bargs and Demar for underachieving? If Gay had been playing here and been under the same scrutiny, he would've been lynched by now.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Or, you know, it really makes absolutely no difference.

Bosh and Jack: absolutely great friends who played together for us. Didn't elevate either's game and didn't help team chemistry.

Jose and Garbo: also great friends who played together for us. Likely their friendship didn't really influence each other's game or help team chemistry. BUT, the team was quite successful as a team with them. WHY? Because they're pros who would bring the same attitude if they had to play with their mortal enemy.

Friendship is nice....but really, it makes no difference. I find it hilarious when people use it a reason to acquire a player. Is it helpful to have a team where everyone is friendly? Yes, of course. Obviously you don't want your players to hate each other, and you want them to like each other enough. But there's also no guarantee that it helps really elevate any one player's game, or the team as a whole.
        True. But it's definitely a good thing when your best players are good friends, especially with Gay coming mid-season, having some familiarity doesn't hurt

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
          True. But it's definitely a good thing when your best players are good friends, especially with Gay coming mid-season, having some familiarity doesn't hurt
          But that's also kind of stupid....people on the team fucking LOVE Jose and Ed. You'd be trading away two guys who everyone is tight with for a guy that one player is tight with.

Again, I'm not really concerned about losing people from the locker room either. Even is Jose and Ed are their friends, it doesn't mean shit will fall apart. Basically what I'm saying is it should contribute 0% to the decision making process.

Comment

But that's also kind of stupid....people on the team fucking LOVE Jose and Ed. You'd be trading away two guys who everyone is tight with for a guy that one player is tight with.

Again, I'm not really concerned about losing people from the locker room either. Even is Jose and Ed are their friends, it doesn't mean shit will fall apart. Basically what I'm saying is it should contribute 0% to the decision making process.
            Nobody suggested that anyone should be building teams based on friendships. All I said is that I'm intrigued by their [potential] reunion. I'm hoping it's the motivation they both need to improve.

Comment

have you ever even watched Rudy Gay play. Raps fans hate on Bargs and Demar for underachieving? If Gay had been playing here and been under the same scrutiny, he would've been lynched by now.
              Gay hasn't lived up to his max contract. I get that. If he was making a few million less, there wouldn't be many complaints. But that's really the biggest complaint regarding Gay (his contract). The Raptors are littered with horrible contracts (Bargnani, DeRozan, Kleiza, Fields). Finding a way to unload these guys for a player with actual skill, makes sense to me.

Gay has post-up game, mid-range game, outside game, can create his own shot, wants the ball in crunch time, is a good defender, a solid rebounder, and can find the open man when double-teamed. When was the last time we had such a complete player? I don't understand how anyone could look at his low shooting percentages and conclude Gay isn't multi-skilled.

Comment

• The Toronto Friendship has a better sound than the Toronto Huskies in my opinion.

Not only that but they could potentially get My Little Pony as a major corporate sponsor if they agreed to have one or two of those cute ponies on the logo.

Which free agent could then resist playing for such a team?

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                  The Toronto Friendship has a better sound than the Toronto Huskies in my opinion.

Not only that but they could potentially get My Little Pony as a major corporate sponsor if they agreed to have one or two of those cute ponies on the logo.

Which free agent could then resist playing for such a team?
                  Man, I really gotta work on that Toronto Huskies Uniform for a franchise rename proposal.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Gay hasn't lived up to his max contract. I get that. If he was making a few million less, there wouldn't be many complaints. But that's really the biggest complaint regarding Gay (his contract). The Raptors are littered with horrible contracts (Bargnani, DeRozan, Kleiza, Fields). Finding a way to unload these guys for a player with actual skill, makes sense to me.

Gay has post-up game, mid-range game, outside game, can create his own shot, wants the ball in crunch time, is a good defender, a solid rebounder, and can find the open man when double-teamed. When was the last time we had such a complete player? I don't understand how anyone could look at his low shooting percentages and conclude Gay isn't multi-skilled.
                    But that isn't happening here.

Comment

• Some reasons you may want a Rudy Gay on your team I hope this deal goes through hes got a ton of confidence night in night out.

What I love about his game is he always always always goes up strong and if his shot isnt working Memphis just gives him the rock to make something going to the basket Toronto needs this guy.

Comment

• Crunch time Gay

Comment

• With Toronto/Memphis trying to find a landing spot for Calderon and an ESPN rumor today suggesting that Dallas is shopping Kaman & Beaubois, I wonder if either of these trades might work:

Option #1 - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b8rj6oc

Option #2 - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a65zbz7

Both trades offer Memphis immedite savings ($3-5M) this season and huge savings over the following two seasons. Anderson provides them with a cheap wing player who plays solid defense and provides 3pt scoring (which they're missing since trading Ellington to Cleveland).
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• We can speculate about Gay's arrival or not but in my opinion, the latest extension given to Demar will come back to haunt us. Demar would've been such a tradeable asset in his last year of his rookie scale contract. People are proclaiming that Gay has not lived up to his contract when DD himself will just be as bad. Just the thought of Gay and Demar (the prince of inefficiency) in the same starting line-up makes me shudder. The more I think about it, the more I'm praying things NOT materialize. If there are no takers for Jose, AB, then that's it. Just go with this group and hopefully they improve in a couple of years.
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

His post-up game is usually just him taking a jumper over somebody.
                              His outside game is usually his post-up game, because he loves spending time in the 18-20 foot zone.
                              He can't create his own shot that well. He never truly refined his game that much and still largely relies on his length to get his game off.
                              Everyone wants the ball in crunch time....
                              He's an ok defender. He has teh tools but doesn't always use them. When I compare him to players with similar gifts physically (LeBron, Josh Smith, Paul George), he's a far worse defender than any of them.
                              A solid rebounder? See his D. 35th in rpg for forwards at 5.9. other SFs ahead of him....MKG, Batum, Deng, Evan Turner, Kirilenko, Al-Farouq Aminu, Durant, LBJ, Paul George, some tweeners like J-Smoove, Thad Young, Ilyasova....averaging about the same as Paul Pierce, Chandler Parsons, Metta WP.....Oh yeah, a real solid rebounder.....Keeping in mind that physically he's basically a skinnier LeBron, or thicker George.
                              Find the open man? He's ok at it, but hardly special. 2.6 apg is ok, but not great or anything. Demar averages 2.2, and even AA averages 2.0 per game....

Comment

• having Gay Demar and Ross with Fields is great Wing Depth if you ask me. Injuries happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X