Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think any trade with Memphis needs to take in to consideration:

1) ability to improve moving forward i.e. cap space and luxury tax thresholds
    2) Hollinger's numbers in the trade machine and PER - seriously.

Comment

• Crisis averted:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

As for finding a spot for Calderon, yes, teams have interest in him. Yet how much are they willing to contribute to MEM-TOR in 3-way deal?
      When Woj is reporting, shit is real in my opinion.

Comment

• I would just let the other teams make the deal.... Gay should stay with Memphis. He gets along well with medical staff there.

I don't want to trade for a player that has not played 82 games in 3 seasons.

Comment

• BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
          I would just let the other teams make the deal.... Gay should stay with Memphis. He gets along well with medical staff there.

I don't want to trade for a player that has not played 82 games in 3 seasons.
          You would be hard pressed to find a player who has played in 82 games in 3 seasons considering there were only 66 games last year.... of which Gay played 65.

Comment

• Gay has long history of injury, pair him with Lowry, and we are on the treadmill. We need someone who can handle the workload.

I also think you guys are crazy for taking what "Memphis" wants seriously, NO reputable team will give it to them for Gay.
            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Gay has long history of injury, pair him with Lowry, and we are on the treadmill. We need someone who can handle the workload.
              He had one shoulder injury in his entire career!

C'mon.

He missed 10 games in 374 prior to his shoulder injury.

He has missed 3 games since (2 of which were for his grandmother's funeral and the other was one game last year).

Hey, if you are worried about the future fair enough but there is nothing in his past to make him an injury concern. 1 injury in 7 seasons is pretty impressive for an NBA player.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Crisis averted:

When Woj is reporting, shit is real in my opinion.
                This whole thing is ridiculous. It made sense when you were talking about bringing Nash in and maybe another 2-guard. As it is, it makes no sense. Plus, consider Rudy Gay in all this: he would be leaving a team that could, if things fall right, challenge for the Western Conference playoff crown, to go to a team that won't even make the playoffs. I'm sure we'll get his best basketball....

Comment

• I remember hearing about concussions... his current FG% is of concern, as is Memphis's interest to shed him off their team. They know him best.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    This whole thing is ridiculous. It made sense when you were talking about bringing Nash in and maybe another 2-guard. As it is, it makes no sense. Plus, consider Rudy Gay in all this: he would be leaving a team that could, if things fall right, challenge for the Western Conference playoff crown, to go to a team that won't even make the playoffs. I'm sure we'll get his best basketball....
                    Gonna play devil's advocate here. There's 2 more years left in his contract plus this season. He'll be 29 when it's all said and done. He can get one more good contract. Instincts tell me he'll play his a$$ off for the Rap$$$.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I'm down with Gay on 2 conditions:

1) Lowry/TR/JV remains
                      2) DeRozan and Bargnani are moved - I'd rather pay Gay $18M for 2 years than Bargnani/DeRozan for 2/4 years.

To be honest I am not overly enthused by this deal or the rumours. Just talking about what the Twitterverse gives us.

Comment

• I think his efficiency this year should be a concern. I know that concussions can have long term lasting damage on coordination, it actually gets worse as you get older. This sort of damage could easily show up in the FG% of the player and I am seeing warning signs when I look at the sudden drop this year, and Memphis shopping him.

The drop in his efficiency worries me. His PER is at 14.4 this year. That would rank him, 9th on our team (behind Alan Anderson).

I am not prepared to take this chance. Unless the asking price is seriously reduced.
                        Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:43 PM.

Comment

1) Lowry/TR/JV remains
                          2) DeRozan and Bargnani are moved - I'd rather pay Gay $18M for 2 years than Bargnani/DeRozan for 2/4 years.

To be honest I am not overly enthused by this deal or the rumours. Just talking about what the Twitterverse gives us.
                          Fair enough. I would rather not pay any of them but I guess I would rather pay Rudy Gay than Derozan/Bargs, too.

I advocated considering a blockbuster this summer, along with trying to sign Nash, as an alternative to a full-on rebuild but I just can't get behind any half-ass plans like this one. To me, if you really want to win now, you have to do something similar to what Boston, Miami, the Knicks, Brooklyn have done recently. You can't just add Rudy Gay and hope for the best, which is what this feels like to me.

Comment

1) Lowry/TR/JV remains

Let's just say that what you're thinking is Twilight Zone-ish similar to my thinking. Scary actually.
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I think his efficiency this year should be a concern. I know that concussions can have long term lasting damage on coordination, it actually gets worse as you get older. This sort of damage could easily show up in the FG% of the player and I am seeing warning signs when I look at the sudden drop this year, and Memphis shopping him.

The drop in his efficiency worries me. His PER is at 14.4 this year. That would rank him, 9th on our team (behind Alan Anderson).

I am not prepared to take this chance. Unless the asking price is seriously reduced.
                              You mean the concussion he missed one game for?

And then came back to light up Toronto for 26/11?

Comment

Fair enough. I would rather not pay any of them but I guess I would rather pay Rudy Gay than Derozan/Bargs, too.

I advocated considering a blockbuster this summer, along with trying to sign Nash, as an alternative to a full-on rebuild but I just can't get behind any half-ass plans like this one. To me, if you really want to win now, you have to do something similar to what Boston, Miami, the Knicks, Brooklyn have done recently. You can't just add Rudy Gay and hope for the best, which is what this feels like to me.
                                There will be another shoe to drop in the form of an Italian loafer.

It seems like Colangelo is doing all he can to deliver a final 1-2 punch.

Comment

Working...
                                X