Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Post Thanks / Like

If/when the Gay trade goes down, I really think it could be just the first domino to fall.

As much as I have supported Bargnani in the past, I can't fathom him remaining with this team long-term, as part of a PF rotation with Amir.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raps push a Bargnani trade even harder; perhaps rekindling trade talks with LA for Gasol. Or maybe DeRozan gets shopped, perhaps in a deal with Utah for Millsap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    If/when the Gay trade goes down, I really think it could be just the first domino to fall.

As much as I have supported Bargnani in the past, I can't fathom him remaining with this team long-term, as part of a PF rotation with Amir.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raps push a Bargnani trade even harder; perhaps rekindling trade talks with LA for Gasol. Or maybe DeRozan gets shopped, perhaps in a deal with Utah for Millsap.
    Just remember that AB isnt going to be traded so that idea is out the window.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont get why everyone wants deRozan gone so bad he isnt part of the teams problem. He has brought a lot to the team this year.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ross > Demar if this trade requires one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    I dont get why everyone wants deRozan gone so bad he isnt part of the teams problem. He has brought a lot to the team this year.
    Yes, but first of all, it only sweetens an already bargain deal for Memphis if they really want a good, solid returning piece.
    Second, Terrence Ross potential and skill set better for the future and this team's system if acquiring Rudy Gay.
    Third, Ross is automatically given playing time to develop and nurture his skills for the team. He has star potential vs. Derozan's all-star potential.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on the report, the Raptors would be sending Calderon, a young Raptor prospect & a future pick. I'm speculating that the young prospect is DeRozan. The article suggests that Memphis wants a less expensive small forward to plug into Gay's position. Add in Alan Anderson -- who fits the description perfectly.

From a Memphis stand-point, unloading Gay for DeRozan, a player who has similar production this season + Anderson (who seems like a Memphis type of player) + a future pick is enough.

If this is the case, then I wouldn't mind having Rudy Gay in the line-up. It makes the most sense to me, at least.

Keep in mind that we are not allowed to trade consecutive firsts. Assuming the Raptors continue winning at their pace (which is right around .500), we will miss the playoffs --> OKC gets the first rounder for 2013 --> we keep our 2014 pick --> Memphis receives 2015 pick.

The idea is developing a core of Lowry, Ross, Gay, Davis and Valanciunas, with Fields and Amir as primary role players. This still leaves us with the option of using the amnesty on Kleiza or Bargnani (should we not be able to find a suitor for Primo).
    Last edited by torch19; Wed Jan 30th, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
    ďI donít create controversies. Theyíre there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.Ē

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    Based on the report, the Raptors would be sending Calderon, a young Raptor prospect & a future pick. I'm speculating that the young prospect is DeRozan. The article suggests that Memphis wants a less expensive small forward to plug into Gay's position. Add in Alan Anderson -- who fits the description perfectly.

From a Memphis stand-point, unloading Gay for DeRozan, a player who has similar production this season + Anderson (who seems like a Memphis type of player) + a future pick is enough.

If this is the case, then I wouldn't mind having Rudy Gay in the line-up. It makes the most sense to me, at least.

Keep in mind that we are not allowed to trade consecutive firsts. Assuming the Raptors continue winning at their pace (which is right around .500), we will miss the playoffs --> OKC gets the first rounder for 2013 --> we keep our 2014 pick --> Memphis receives 2015 pick.

The idea is developing a core of Lowry, Ross, Gay, Davis and Valanciunas, with Fields and Amir as primary role players. This still leaves us with the option of using the amnesty on Kleiza or Bargnani (should we not be able to find a suitor for Primo).
    Apparently, core pieces being moved are Davis, Calderon, 2nd Round Picks.
    The expectation is that Memphis acquires a cheaper wing/small-forward from a third team, the very same team that Calderon possibly goes too.

Legion Sports posted a possible deal of Pierce to Memphis, Gay to Toronto, Davis + Calderon to Boston.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Apparently, core pieces being moved are Davis, Calderon, 2nd Round Picks.
    The expectation is that Memphis acquires a cheaper wing/small-forward from a third team, the very same team that Calderon possibly goes too.

Legion Sports posted a possible deal of Pierce to Memphis, Gay to Toronto, Davis + Calderon to Boston.
    Memphis wants to shed Gay's contract. Pierce's contract is just as expensive as Gay's, so this doesn't make sense for Memphis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Memphis wants to shed Gay's contract. Pierce's contract is just as expensive as Gay's, so this doesn't make sense for Memphis.
    Pierce's contract is only guaranteed for $4-5M next season.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

By far the best news I'm heard:

In a proposed deal, Memphis would likely receive another young Raptors player and a future draft pick, sources said. The Grizzlies have unsuccessfully tried to pry Raptors rookie Terrence Ross as part of the deal, sources said. Toronto has deemed Ross untouchable in these talks.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--gr...033758281.html

The Grizzlies seem to be the team driving the discussions is a good sign as well especially when Ross is untouchable:

The Grizzlies have inquired with multiple teams over the past several days, searching for a willing partner to facilitate a three-team deal, sources said.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, the front article scared the crap out of me when I learned that a draft pick is involved. Colangelo always overpays. I'm still for this trade but if that future pick is a first round pick, I...
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ross=Untouchable. thank you BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I have to say, the front article scared the crap out of me when I learned that a draft pick is involved. Colangelo always overpays. I'm still for this trade but if that future pick is a first round pick, I...
    It could be a 2nd round pick.... right? right? Right? Ugh, probably not.

There will have to be some serious explanation on the parameters of the pick.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I don't know how a first rounder can be included. The Lowry pick pretty much makes it impossible for Toronto to include a pick.

Here is how that pick works for OKC (via Houston):

2013 first round draft pick to Oklahoma City
    Toronto's own 2013 1st round pick to Oklahoma City via Houston (Top-3 Protected and 15-30 Protected in the 2013 Draft, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2014, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2015, top-1 Protected and 15-30 protected in 2016, top-1 protected and 15-30 Protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft. [Houston-Toronto, 7/11/2012 and then Houston-Oklahoma City, 10/27/2012]

So the pick cannot be used until after 2018 unless the Raptors fail to make the playoffs one time and don't win the lottery. The Raptors do not have another teams first rounder either, so if Memphis wants a 1st round pick it would have to be from a 3rd team.

*EDIT: I guess it could technically work if Memphis is okay with a guaranteed non-lottery pick. So that if the Raptors make the playoffs between 2013-2018 then the pick is there's. Not sure if Memphis would want a non-lottery pick though.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    By far the best news I'm heard:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--gr...033758281.html

The Grizzlies seem to be the team driving the discussions is a good sign as well especially when Ross is untouchable:
    I read that quote about Ross being untouchable this morning and just had a sigh of releif. I was starting to get the feeling BC was after Gay like Captain Ahab was after Moby Dick. Glad he's maintaining some common sense. Having a hard time beleiving nobody could use Calderon's services or his expiring contract.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's get this done BC!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I don't know how a first rounder can be included. The Lowry pick pretty much makes it impossible for Toronto to include a pick.

Here is how that pick works for OKC (via Houston):

2013 first round draft pick to Oklahoma City
    Toronto's own 2013 1st round pick to Oklahoma City via Houston (Top-3 Protected and 15-30 Protected in the 2013 Draft, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2014, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2015, top-1 Protected and 15-30 protected in 2016, top-1 protected and 15-30 Protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft. [Houston-Toronto, 7/11/2012 and then Houston-Oklahoma City, 10/27/2012]

So the pick cannot be used until after 2018 unless the Raptors fail to make the playoffs one time and don't win the lottery. The Raptors do not have another teams first rounder either, so if Memphis wants a 1st round pick it would have to be from a 3rd team.

*EDIT: I guess it could technically work if Memphis is okay with a guaranteed non-lottery pick. So that if the Raptors make the playoffs between 2013-2018 then the pick is there's. Not sure if Memphis would want a non-lottery pick though.
    I believe the Raptors could send them a "first allowable pick".

I am not 100% certain though.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not down with the Gay/DD comparisons.

Sure, right now, there are some statistical similarities - actually a lot - but their games are different. Gay would provide a much different look on defense and is much more polished/skilled offensively and can create his own.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm not down with the Gay/DD comparisons.

Sure, right now, there are some statistical similarities - actually a lot - but their games are different. Gay would provide a much different look on defense and is much more polished/skilled offensively and can create his own.

Would you be down with both of them playing for the Raptors? I feel like their games wouldn't compliment eachother very well but I could be wrong

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Im pretty sure the deal will go down as losing Calderon +Davis +Anderson and maybe 2nd round pick a lot of this deal is seeming more and more likely, before Memphis wanted too much but Raps really want Gay, glad Ross is off the table.

heard the report about the 3rd team wouldnt be surprised if its Dallas and in return we get Gay and Arthur for our trouble well worth it imo.

Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information