Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bargnani to Celtics deal in the works?

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    That's fine. Just don't complain about how crappy Jeff Green is when he gets here. Also, please make sure you take pictures of this shitpacolypse for all to enjoy.
    Seriously? Maybe you should listen to yourself. Jeff Green is probably better than any other scrubs we're gonna get outside of maybe Granger. We play better without Bargnani already so why not get someone that is even remotely decent in return? Green is already an improvement on Green on defense compared to Bargs. If he can get 13PPG, 4-5RPG, and 1-2 APG, I would already consider this a win trade. If he can get more that would be even better...

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't even think the Celtics would trade Jeff Green for Andrea. Sorry guys.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Its trading a bad contract for an equally bad but longer contract. All while giving up the ability to free up that cap space.
    +1

... and on the earlier post too.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Come on guys you know Jeff Green came off a surgery and hasn't played for a year he's rusty the only thing I worry about is how it affects rotation.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes.. I want Bargnani off this team but for Jeff Green? Ugh, no thank-you. I'd rather just amnesty Bargnani and then look for a SF in free agency. Jeff Green will be a very hard salary to move. He has 4 years left after this one and has a loooong way to go before he even becomes as close to the player he was in OKC, and even then he was slightly average. I liked Jeff Green for his potential but he's now 26. Even though he lost a year, most athletes plateau at around 26, and Green has always relied on his athleticism.

I do hope he bounces back, but I wouldn't want to take that gamble that he will.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It might be a case of buying low with Green. OKC traded him because they needed interior toughness in the playoffs, and Perkins had a relatively high asking price at the time. Green was the unfortunate odd man out when compared to Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. But I don't think that's a knock on Green at all. He's versatile/multi-skilled, and could simply need a larger role to take his game to the next level.

If we are certain that Green's medical issues are no longer a concern, I would seriously consider this trade. The only reason I hesitate is the length of his contract.

The other thing to consider is that if we acquire Green, you better believe more moves are coming. Green would be our 6th small forward (with Anderson, Pietrus, Ross, Fields and Kleiza)....i.e. an incredible waste of resources.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote:
    It might be a case of buying low with Green. OKC traded him because they needed interior toughness in the playoffs, and Perkins had a relatively high asking price at the time. Green was the unfortunate odd man out when compared to Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. But I don't think that's a knock on Green at all. He's versatile/multi-skilled, and could simply need a larger role to take his game to the next level.

If we are certain that Green's medical issues are no longer a concern, I would seriously consider this trade. The only reason I hesitate is the length of his contract.

The other thing to consider is that if we acquire Green, you better believe more moves are coming. Green would be our 6th small forward (with Anderson, Pietrus, Ross, Fields and Kleiza)....i.e. an incredible waste of resources.
    This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. While the contract does make me think twice, I think he's got a much better chance of flourishing in our situation, than what he's trying to fit himself into in Boston.
    Playing behind Paul Peirce and KG, while trying to have any sort of impact, is not an easy thing to do.

And though I'd rather see Thad Young deal, I wouldn't be against trying this out.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"One interesting possibility might be Toronto’s Andrea Bargnani"

That's all he said ... then speculated about what a package might be.

Why I think it's a crap suggestion?

It's rare that you see players traded within the division that were once dubbed 'franchise' pieces. Happened with Vince, but that was a pretty 'special' situation. Not a deciding factor for me personally, but GM's like to send talent far away.

Jeff Green is a mild improvement over a SF group of Anderson, Fields, et al - and paid too much, having never proven a return to OKC form after serous injury.

... I dunno, Alex Kennedy is a smart dude - but he's not saying it's source info, just an idea.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

a player like Jeff Green is exactly what we need

young
    athletic
    can score
    can play stretch 4
    not too full of himself that he needs to be the man every night
    can defend multiple positions

thats better than AB's redeeming qualities:

.......little help?

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post

+1 but easy to clean up. waive pietrus, bench klieza and wait for his option to amnesty him. ross plays the 2 and your left with 3
    For The Win

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    a player like Jeff Green is exactly what we need

young
    athletic
    can score
    can play stretch 4
    not too full of himself that he needs to be the man every night
    can defend multiple positions

thats better than AB's redeeming qualities:

.......little help?
    Jeff Green is ONE YEAR YOUNGER than Bargnani.
    Bargnani can score; he's a player who can actually create his own shot.
    Bargnani IS a stretch 4.

I don't mind Bargnani getting traded but I hope what the Raptors get in return is something better than a longer, even worse contract.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me this story is missing a whole bunch of "yada-yada". To go from not being able to land DeMarcus Cousins, then to fail at getting Rudy Gay and then oh, let's try getting Bargnani? LOL!

"I tried to buy a Ferrari, but I didn't have enough credit rating. So then I went the Lambourghini dealership, but they wouldn't even speak to me. Yadda, yadda, yadda, I bought a Segway."
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

1. If Boston trades Green and doesn't get a SF back, they're essentially throwing in the towel on their championship window. Jeff Green was acquired specifically to guard LeBron James in the playoffs, and without him they'll be relying on Paul Pierce (who's shouldering more of the offensive load than ever) and Sasha Pavlovic. OR, if KG plays the 5 and Bargs the 4, then Bargs would have to guard LeBron a lot of the time. Sound like a good idea to you?

2. Jeff Green has never cracked 15 (average) PER in his 4 seasons.

3. Aside from his second year in OKC, he shoots about 30-33% from 3. He would not fit at all at the SF spot with DeRozan, Davis and Val on the floor, and is basically a more athletic Kleiza at the 4. And we've already got a Kleiza on a much cheaper contract.

I just don't see the point, from either side. I'd rather get an expiring deal and a non-lottery pick or a couple of second rounders.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Jeff Green is ONE YEAR YOUNGER than Bargnani.
    Bargnani can score; he's a player who can actually create his own shot.
    Bargnani IS a stretch 4.

I don't mind Bargnani getting traded but I hope what the Raptors get in return is something better than a longer, even worse contract.
    I was kind of being sarcastic i.e. they are the same type of player, but Bargs doesn't actually do the things he is supposed to be able to do. but I have to say that if by "creating his own shot" you mean an embarrassing dribbling display where he looks down the whole time like a 5 year old who just learned how and then pump fakes - his defender stays on the ground- then he crashes into him and whips the ball off the backboard..we will have to disagree on what we think that this means.

I think you make a great point about the contract, though. I was a huge fan of Jeff Green, but I think that he went through a bad time in his life when he was basically dropped because management thought he was the worst of OKC's young core and then the health problems. I think he will bounce back, but that might only happen later in his career when he matures some more

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    1. If Boston trades Green and doesn't get a SF back, they're essentially throwing in the towel on their championship window. Jeff Green was acquired specifically to guard LeBron James in the playoffs, and without him they'll be relying on Paul Pierce (who's shouldering more of the offensive load than ever) and Sasha Pavlovic. OR, if KG plays the 5 and Bargs the 4, then Bargs would have to guard LeBron a lot of the time. Sound like a good idea to you?

2. Jeff Green has never cracked 15 (average) PER in his 4 seasons.

3. Aside from his second year in OKC, he shoots about 30-33% from 3. He would not fit at all at the SF spot with DeRozan, Davis and Val on the floor, and is basically a more athletic Kleiza at the 4. And we've already got a Kleiza on a much cheaper contract.

I just don't see the point, from either side
    . I'd rather get an expiring deal and a non-lottery pick or a couple of second rounders.
    If Bargs never plays again for our team...there is a point. Right now, he is a problem that we need to get rid of, IMHO we should be looking at anything seriously....even 2nd round picks

Raptors Republic Rookie Jkwasia's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was kind of being sarcastic i.e. they are the same type of player, but Bargs doesn't actually do the things he is supposed to be able to do. but I have to say that if by "creating his own shot" you mean an embarrassing dribbling display where he looks down the whole time like a 5 year old who just learned how and then pump fakes - his defender stays on the ground- then he crashes into him and whips the ball off the backboard..we will have to disagree on what we think that this means.
    +1 LMAO that was brilliant.....description was bang on! Primo at his best I might say .....still laughing

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems pretty evident that Green's numbers as a starter are much better than off the bench. I think it is also safe to say that he would be the starter in Toronto. Not to mention the Raptors love to start newly acquired players, I have never understood why we do that.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bargs never plays again for our team...there is a point. Right now, he is a problem that we need to get rid of, IMHO we should be looking at anything seriously....even 2nd round picks
    Thing is, you can accomplish that by amnestying him if you're that desperate. I'd much rather the flexibility to choose a player in free agency this summer than take on Green's contract. I get that if you think you're buying low on Green then you might come out ahead in the long run, but that's yet another gamble for BC to be taking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote:
    Thing is, you can accomplish that by amnestying him if you're that desperate. I'd much rather the flexibility to choose a player in free agency this summer than take on Green's contract.
    ... because the Raptors are often in a position where the player of their choosing will be dying to join the squad ...Lol And you don't think we'll need to give out a contract around $36M over 4-year to sign this mystery player (which just so happens to be Greens contract)?

Quote Lark Benson wrote:
    I get that if you think you're buying low on Green then you might come out ahead in the long run, but that's yet another gamble for BC to be taking.
    Annd it wouldn't be a gamble to essentially pay the guy to leave while receiving no assets in return, and HOPE we can sign a Starting Small Forward?
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Further more, Go here and have a look at the possible Small Forwards hitting Free Agency this year.

Out of ALL of them, Dorrell Wright is the only one that is a legit option in my opinion. All the others are either on Team Options which are sure to be picked up, or Player Options which are also sure to be picked up, or I'm just not interested.
    In Masai we Trust.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information