No announcement yet.

Bargnani to Celtics deal in the works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff Green's career hasn't turned out the way you would have projected early on, and more often than not he's resigned to being an idle perimeter threat on the Celtics. Having said that, he's better than Pietrus and Kleiza, and could add more consistent three-point shooting (like he did in year 2), and given how at this point trading Bargnani is addition by subtraction, this looks attractive.

From a salary POV, his contract is slightly below Bargnani per year but is one year longer, so this trade definitely has long-term impact which the Raptors have to seriously consider. The alternative is to trade Bargnani for a near-term expiring deal so you can truly shed yourself of him. In short, get Green if you see him as a nucleus to what you're doing in Toronto and not for the sake of getting rid of Bargnani.

Comment

Ya we can't already be defaulting for a lateral move talent-wise. Better to keep him if he can help bring a bigger piece (or picks) in the summer. I like the Gortat rumours though. Nice stop gap until JV develops his body, lets Amir shift back to PF eventually.

Comment

we need to stop the bleeding at centre extremely BAD. That should be our priority, not some underwhelming, untradeable, health issue player like jeff green.

Comment

we should hold out for something better, see if bargs improves (0.0009), or just amnesty his ass and be done with it.

Comment

I'm for any plan that subtracts Bargnani from the equation and doesn't net us Kwame Brown
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

If bc does this deal he has to go.
              Greens a worse player with a longer contract. Makes no sense.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                Is that including derozans extension money? That seems like a lot of space.
                Yes.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-raptors-team-salary

But it was $4M on a backup, not $6M.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                  They almost definetely will be adverse to it, but that doesn't mean it isn't a better option for this team.

Using the amnesty option isn't just to free up the cap space then go and use it back up. Its also using it so you know that cap space is there in case something becomes available.

Also, the price paid to the player is his contract signed with the team minus his new deal (in an auction). So that also takes a bit of the sting out of the cost (not much though)

From a simle $ perspective (after this year) Green = 30 mil. Bargnani = 23 mil - contract payed by the team who picks him up. The Raptors will still be saving dollars if the don't go out and use that space immediately.

Last bold - Bargnani not playing is becoming the biggest use to this team so far
                  Further to your (Bargnani Salary - salary from new team) I wonder how much he would get paid on the open market after andy "bidding war." :-) Might be embarrassingly low.

As for the last bold, addition by subtraction would seem to be the order of the day, but I wonder how well Bargs would fare coming off the bench? I would actually like to see that. Could the bench play good enough defence to cover Bargs inadequacies, while his offensive abilities helps their scoring?

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Further to your (Bargnani Salary - salary from new team) I wonder how much he would get paid on the open market after andy "bidding war." :-) Might be embarrassingly low.

As for the last bold, addition by subtraction would seem to be the order of the day, but I wonder how well Bargs would fare coming off the bench? I would actually like to see that. Could the bench play good enough defence to cover Bargs inadequacies, while his offensive abilities helps their scoring?
                    Scola got $4M, but Brand got $2M. I would say Bargnani's range would be in between those two. I would be concerned over Bargnani's injury history. In the last two seasons he's been injured quite a bit and if you add to that his anemic play, then I could see some very low ball offers.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post

As just a guess I'm thinking about 2 mil a year. That offers a very good risk vs return scenario. (plus amnestied players don't go for much. Its a blind auction if I'm not mistaken) A team would still have to give up an existing player if their roster is maxed out + fit inside cap rules.

As for Bargnani off the bench. I really don't see anything covering his defensive and rebounding inadequacies. This team has used numerous different people beside him with the same result over and over. Then we'd have to consider the cost of a 10+ mil a year for a bench player. In theory its a much better way of using Bargnani (and if there is no alternative it makes sense), but I don't think alot will change.

My thinking is Bargnani off the team > Bargnani off the bench > Bargnani 'come hell or high water'.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                        My thinking is Bargnani off the team > Bargnani off the bench > Bargnani 'come hell or high water'.
                        Bingo.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Agreed. If Boston wants more from us, I think Anderson is the most likely target. I would like to at least pluck a 1st rd pick from them as well, especially if they want more than Bargs. I would also throw in Gray if they'll throw Sullinger back our way.
                          I dunno if the Celtics are dumb enough to do that haha

Comment

Scouting report
                            + Combo forward who can handle the ball and post up against smaller players.
                            + Subpar outside shooter. Good finisher in transition. Not an elite athlete.
                            + Was destroyed by post-up 4s. Solid wing defender against 3s.

Analysis
                            Green didn't play at all last season after having heart surgery. In the four seasons prior, he had done nothing to prove he was more than a passable combo forward off the bench. As a result, the Celtics gave him more money than Kevin Garnett.

While the four-year, $36 million contract he signed this offseason boggles the mind, Green does have some uses. Just not the ways Oklahoma City used him. Green was a train wreck as a face-up 4, shooting under 30 percent on 3s in consecutive seasons, getting torn apart by post players and rebounding like a wing.

As a wing, however, there's the hope that his size will become an advantage, and that he can take some smaller 3s on the block with his jump hook. Meanwhile, his defensive stats as a 3 in his few games as a Celtic in 2010-11 were vastly superior to his results as a 4 in Oklahoma City. The hope is he can provide another big wing to guard the likes of LeBron James in the playoffs, but it's not clear whom the Celtics thought they were bidding against with this deal.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Green to me seem like he would such a great system guy in Casey's system. I see him as player that could just relish in the system we run here. He can play D and get out and run. He has a decent post up game. We post up are wings more than are bigs. He would also be able to play small like Casey likes.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Scola got $4M, but Brand got $2M. I would say Bargnani's range would be in between those two. I would be concerned over Bargnani's injury history. In the last two seasons he's been injured quite a bit and if you add to that his anemic play, then I could see some very low ball offers.
                                "Anaemic play" - I could never put it down in words before. But now I have the right description for bargnani's one-on-ones

Comment

Working...
                                X