No announcement yet.

Bargnani to Celtics deal in the works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bargnani to Celtics deal in the works?

Not So Fast, Celtics!
    This morning HOOPSWORLD’s Alex Kennedy reported that the Boston Celtics are preparing for a blockbuster trade, citing league sources. Many immediately assumed that the Celtics were on the verge of acquiring Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins, which made sence given the issues he’s had fitting in with Sacramento. Since that story broke, however, it has become clear that the Kings are not open to the Celtics’ overtures, as both USA Today’s Sam Amick and the Sacramento Bee’s Jason Jones have tweeted that the Kings are not the least bit inclined to send Cousins to Boston.
    Rudy Gay’s name also came up in trade speculation, but that seems just as unlikely as a Cousins deal with Boston. Both the Kings and the Grizzlies would be looking for marquee talent in any deal, and the Celtics are talking about moving the scraps around Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Paul Pierce. It’s unlikely they’re going to pull an All-Star caliber player with an offer of Jeff Green, Courtney Lee, Jason Terry and Brandon Bass, for example.
    To be considered a blockbuster, however, there usually has to be a big name involved, so if the Celtics aren’t sending one out the assumption is that they must be bringing one in.
    One interesting possibility might be Toronto’s Andrea Bargnani, who is clearly not in the team’s plan moving forward. Unlike the Kings and Grizzlies, the Raptors might see a Bargnani move as addition by subtraction, an improvement unto itself, and Toronto might see a package involving Jeff Green as more of a help to the group that has played so well with Bargnani on the bench.
    Does Bargnani make the Celtics radically better? Perhaps. Not the way Rudy Gay or DeMarcus Cousins would. Still, if the offer from Boston doesn’t involve any of their core players, Andrea Bargnani might be the most they could hope to land.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-why...e-is-unlikely/

What do you guys think of a deal to move bargnani for jeff green? He was on the verge of becoming an elite 3 man when he was forced to miss a year of basketball because of a heart issue, he has had surgery and the doctors say he has made a full recovery.

He has been underperforming lately averaging just 9.4 pts and 3.1 reb a game while shooting 41% from the field and 33 % from 3 pt land in 23 min. But his career numbers are quite decent 13.4 pts/5.3 reb while shooting 45% from the field and 33% from 3 pt land. Also being a former OKC player and a current Celtics player you know he has been well coached on the defensive side of the ball.

His contract is not pretty either, he is owed about 9 million a year until 2015/2016 (which is a player option year). Could be the answer for us at the SF position. One thing I like about Jeff Green is that he has SIZE he is 6'9 235lbs at the 3 position, we are talking Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Rudy Gay size.
    "Defense wins championships."

Jeff Green has been absolutely abysmal this year, and I don't think I'd say he was ever close to being elite at any point.

The only players on that roster I'd want (outside of pics) is Sullinger or Bradley
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      Jeff Green has been absolutely abysmal this year, and I don't think I'd say he was ever close to being elite at any point.

The only players on that roster I'd want (outside of pics) is Sullinger or Bradley
      I'd say yes. Hands down
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

He did average 16.5 pts 6.6 reb and 1 steal a game in 2009, not elite numbers, but worth the 9 million a year he started making shortly after.
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
          He did average 16.5 pts 6.6 reb and 1 steal a game in 2009, not elite numbers, but worth the 9 million a year he started making shortly after.
          Not to mention I'd trade Bargnani for a used condom at this point
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Yeah I'd probably still go ahead with the trade
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

What do you guys think of a deal to move bargnani for jeff green?
              I probably want Bargnani dealt as much as anyone around, but I don't want to see him moved in a deal where benching him and waiting to amnesty him makes more sense. This is one of those deals.

I also don't agree he was ever anywhere near 'elite', he was a pretty good player but nothing special. There is a reason Sam Presti moved him. Add that he hasn't performed remotely close to his old self since his return, I see no reason for this deal.

Now if the deal comes with additional assets, namely picks or perhaps Sullinger, I'd be more interested. But that amnesty still being available to this team is more valuable than taking a risk on Jeff Green being anywhere near worth his contract for the next 3 years.

Comment

hell yes!

Comment

I wanted us to sign him this off season. We cant really do any worse than the 3 position right now. His a good one on one defender. I remember back in OKC he was their best wing defender and covered Kobe in that one playoff series. He also capable of making a open shot. He would be perfect when DC likes going small. You throw in thier first round pick and I'm in!
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I'd say that the trade is a bit of a wash. The Raps do have a need for a 3 in Green. Not sure where Bargs fits in Boston. And with Garnett barking at him, I'd actually follow the Celtics just for that gong show. I'd go for the trade. Talent-wise its lateral. For team needs, it's a B- deal for the Raps.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

i get what people are saying about it being a wash talent wise, but Green's contract is a year longer.

i'd rather trade him for a REALLY shitty player with a HUGE contract that's close to expiring. at least you'd have financial freedom.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Craiger wrote:
                        I probably want Bargnani dealt as much as anyone around, but I don't want to see him moved in a deal where benching him and waiting to amnesty him makes more sense. This is one of those deals.
                        Would you mind elaborating on this a little more? I'm curious as to how paying him $20M to leave and join another team is better than getting a possible starting SF in the deal.

Comment

I don't believe this is true cause Bargnani doesn't fit any need for the C's. if it I would love it!

27 mins 16Pts 6(1off) 3Ast 5-10 FG 1-1 3FG Jeff Green vs NYK
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

In terms of why Boston would do it, the article makes sense. They don't have the assets to pull off a deal for the likes of Gay or Cousins. Maybe they get lucky and manage it, but if not, they will have to settle for someone like Bargs. He can obviously help them, and having not only KG, but Doc pushing him might be good for him.
                            I'm not quite sure how this works out for Toronto. If they really believe Green is not only an upgrade, but worth the length of his contract, then that's quite a commitment. I like Green as a player, but having him and Fields on for about 15 million or more for at least 3 years is a bit crazy.
                            I think it's definitely worth it though if we can get more out of them. Say, Green, Sullinger, and a 1st rd pick. It might also cost us a guy like Anderson, but really, as much as I love him, he's on a tiny, one-year deal. If we're not making the playoffs, what's the point of keeping a guy like him when you can trade him, get something, and possibly re-sign him in the offseason? And obviously in the short term, it lets them see how things work out with Fields and Green getting most of the SF minutes, and if it's not so great, trade one of them. As for Sullinger, it would be nice to get a big back, and he only fell in the draft for physical concerns, but I'd settle for just the 1st rd pick, though then I might not care to part with AA.

Comment

Oh Gad. It's come to this? Try not to talk yourselves into getting excited about this trade. This is not a trade to acquire Jeff Green. This is a trade to remove Andrea Bargnani. Green is not a good player. You will only be setting yourself up for disappointment if you think otherwise.

To all of you who have been bitching and complaining about getting rid of Bargs for a sack of rocks, your wish will come true if this goes through. Just make sure you see it for what it is.
                              Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Working...
                              X