Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bell & Rogers fire Leafs GM - BryoCo next?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bell & Rogers fire Leafs GM - BryoCo next?

BryoCo's employers have fired their NHL GM. Personally, I didn't see that coming.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...-ago-today-cox

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Does that mean the BryoCo is next on the block? Or worse yet, will there be more pressure on him to make a really bad trade?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The trade deadline is just over a month away. Not sure if it would be wise to fire him now.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The trade deadline is just over a month away. Not sure if it would be wise to fire him now.
    I'm actually a bit scared of Bryan. He could make a really bad trade before (or at) the deadline that could set this team back a few years. I would prefer they fire him sooner than later.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm actually a bit scared of Bryan. He could make a really bad trade before (or at) the deadline that could set this team back a few years. I would prefer they fire him sooner than later.
    Quote canadafubuki wrote: View Post
    BryoCo's employers have fired their NHL GM. Personally, I didn't see that coming.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...-ago-today-cox

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Does that mean the BryoCo is next on the block? Or worse yet, will there be more pressure on him to make a really bad trade?
    I don't worry about that.... maybe I should but I don't. Any trade he makes is going to have to be approved. Maybe I am being really naive but I would think the higher ups would be able to identify a bad trade (and this is not the same ownership of past Raptor bad trades).
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't worry about that.... maybe I should but I don't. Any trade he makes is going to have to be approved. Maybe I am being really naive but I would think the higher ups would be able to identify a bad trade (and this is not the same ownership of past Raptor bad trades).
    Don't trades need to be approved by the owners of the teams involved in a conference call with the league?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Don't trades need to be approved by the owners of the teams involved in a conference call with the league?
    I'm not sure about that, to be honest. But trades of significant magnitude of dollars (like a Gay deal) would need to be approved, for sure.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A reporter just actually asked at the press conference "if Brian, why not Bryan?" (paraphrased)

Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BC is gone. I wish not because I think he is one of the better GM's out there, but listening to the Press Conference and being asked Directly about the Raptors and Brian Colangelo, you can read between the lines and body language that after TFC and now Leafs, Raptors are next. Colangelo contract is up and I'd imagine his contract will be played out

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The MLSE guy mentioned that there was "good news" regarding the Raptors to be announced at 4 PM. Any speculation about that that might be?

Big trade?
    Bargnani returns to the line-up? (tee hee).
    BC fired (doubt that he would announce that as "good news", unless he's a real badass corporate guy).

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote canadafubuki wrote: View Post

I'd be more inclined to think this means BC will be extended beyond this season.

The Burke firing will raise a lot of questions - even Sports Analysts are questioning why now. To me, I doubt MLSE rocks the boat more than it already has, by replacing Colangelo. They have enough on their plate for the next 6 - 10 months.

Raptors Republic Rookie Phat Farmer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
    I'd be more inclined to think this means BC will be extended beyond this season.

The Burke firing will raise a lot of questions - even Sports Analysts are questioning why now. To me, I doubt MLSE rocks the boat more than it already has, by replacing Colangelo. They have enough on their plate for the next 6 - 10 months.

I think what we may eventually see happen is Colangelo kept on as President and him hiring a new GM. This is not what I want to see, I rather his influence be completely irradicated from the organization. However, I do know that Tanenbaum has a fondness for him and If Bryan is cool with it I can see him keepin his role of President of Basketball Operations.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about that, to be honest. But trades of significant magnitude of dollars (like a Gay deal) would need to be approved, for sure.
    word is a big reason Burke got fired was because he was being too "stingy" with the supposed Luongo deal, not wanting to include more prospects/players/picks. this terrifies me. what if memphis says you know what we want to deal with you but we want davis AND ross, and while Bryan doesn't necessarily want to make that trade his bosses want to win now so he goes for it, knowing he might get fired if he doesn't?

terrified.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

i could be reading entirely too much into this butttttt
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Now would be the worst time to remove BC, when we see a team something coming together, more patience has been exercised with the Raptors and the best move to to let the season play out while only seeing what you can get dangling Calderon and Bargs,

Then in the offseason determine if BC's contract should be extended, I see him being moved to a President role and new GM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    The MLSE guy mentioned that there was "good news" regarding the Raptors to be announced at 4 PM. Any speculation about that that might be?

Big trade?
    Bargnani returns to the line-up? (tee hee).
    BC fired (doubt that he would announce that as "good news", unless he's a real badass corporate guy).
    no just that the CBA has been voted and ratified... news is expected

Post Thanks / Like

Quote imaginelino wrote: View Post
    Now would be the worst time to remove BC, when we see a team something coming together, more patience has been exercised with the Raptors and the best move to to let the season play out while only seeing what you can get dangling Calderon and Bargs,

Then in the offseason determine if BC's contract should be extended, I see him being moved to a President role and new GM
    I think there is too much evidence to the contrary that BC has something coming together due to his planning and diligence. Not trying to be a fanboy and not trying to be a hater. Trying to look at his body of work and be objective. The contracts he has handed out have crippled him on the court and in negotiations now and in the past.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    A reporter just actually asked at the press conference "if Brian, why not Bryan?" (paraphrased)
    What was the response?

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is too much evidence to the contrary that BC has something coming together due to his planning and diligence. Not trying to be a fanboy and not trying to be a hater. Trying to look at his body of work and be objective. The contracts he has handed out have crippled him on the court and in negotiations now and in the past.
    There is more evidence that shows his moves as bad and as good as they were, he was able to get out of them and move players and keep maneuvering. Not every move is perfect not every decision is gonna be right but he has never painted himself in a corner and kept fielding a team that looks good on paper but still hasnt put in enough 'W's in. I think one fatal flaw was trusting that Andrea could be a cornerstone. He held on that notion a bit too long.

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ya Think??

Quote imaginelino wrote: View Post
    I think one fatal flaw was trusting that Andrea could be a cornerstone. He held on that notion a bit too long.
    Ya Think?? That's probably my only big gripe with BC. He didn't need to sign AB to 5 year 50 million deal without seeing what the market was for him. He put Andrea in a situation where FAR TOO much was expected of Andrea. AB is a good 3rd or 4th option on a good team. He is definitley not the centrepiece or 2nd option as BC tried to force him to be. Anyone can see that this is simply not in AB's makeup. He's not hungry enough. He is far from being a leader.

BC would like to have us believe Andrea's a franchise player. One would think he would've learned from the Bosh situation (which I was pleading that we trade Bosh and get something for him). BC just appears to be a very stubborn person to me and i wouldnt mind if he were fired next week.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    word is a big reason Burke got fired was because he was being too "stingy" with the supposed Luongo deal, not wanting to include more prospects/players/picks. this terrifies me. what if memphis says you know what we want to deal with you but we want davis AND ross, and while Bryan doesn't necessarily want to make that trade his bosses want to win now so he goes for it, knowing he might get fired if he doesn't?

terrified.
    This isn't going to happen because Memphis is going to want to ask for the moon for Gay. What Vancouver is asking isn't as high for Luongo. It's just that Burke feels that the Canucks should just give him away (given his albatross contract). Ross was offered for Gay prior to the 2012 draft (# 8 pick that is) but they declined. Raps really have nothing to offer by way of picks. I've cooled off on Gay a bit.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information