Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors making a STRONG push for Rudy Gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I suppose this statement might be true if we look past this season, and project yearly improvement in Ross's game.

If Ross turns into a legit shooting guard, and Gay is acquired via trade, then I would certainly conclude that DeRozan is expendable.
    I agree. Long-term, I see Gay/Ross being a better fit than Gay/DeRozan.

As much as DeRozan has improved, I still think he's a little overrated by Raptors fans and not worth his new contract. I fear him ultimately suffering the same fate as Bargnani, in that he's not a true #1 guy who's been forced to become the face/cornerstone/#1 guy of the franchise by management. He's still very inconsistent, inefficient, subpar defensively and at the 3pt line, despite his improvements this season.

I would be happy with the folllowing:
    1. Trade DeRozan & Calderon for Gay (and likely Selby, since they already have 4 PGs before adding Calderon)
    2. Trade Bargnani (as much as I have defended him, he and Toronto need a divorce)
    3. Trade Anderson (he's 30, at peak value and not in the team's long-term plans)
    4. Trade Pietrus (some playoff team might like his veteran defense & 3pt shooting)
    5. Trade Kleiza or amnesty him next offseason (ESPN had an Insider rumor today about Kleiza being a top amnesty candidate)

They'd have a solid young core group for the long-term:
    C: Valanciunas
    PF: Davis, Johnson
    SF: Gay
    SG: Ross, Fields
    PG: Lowry

I think the Raps would be in pretty decent shape heading into next offseason, where they could potentially target a free agent PF, if they aren't satisfied with Davis as the starter (especially if Bargnani amounts to a salary dump and Kleiza is amnestied).
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:46 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      My point being that Demar has already turned into a legit Shooting Guard. In my opinion.
      And could very easily translate these skills to the 3-spot.

If anything, Demars play of late has made Rudy Gay expendable...
      (I say this half in jest..)
      DeMar might succeed at the 3, but you have to admit he's less skilled than Gay. If contracts were ignored, there's no question who the better player is.

Comment

DeMar might succeed at the 3, but you have to admit he's less skilled than Gay. If contracts were ignored, there's no question who the better player is.
        Rudy Gay is 26. Demar Derozan is 23.
        Projecting Demars growth going forward, I'll take Demar over Rudy.

And with the way Rudy has regressed this year, its makes it even easier for me to take Demar going forward. Ignoring contracts.
        However, keeping contracts in mind, Demar is now a no-brainer over Rudy. In my crazy opinion.
        The only thing Rudy will have over Demar when Demar is 26, is an inch in height, and alot more money from his crazy Max-contract.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Rudy Gay is 26. Demar Derozan is 23.
          Projecting Demars growth going forward, I'll take Demar over Rudy.

And with the way Rudy has regressed this year, its makes it even easier for me to take Demar going forward. Ignoring contracts.
          However, keeping contracts in mind, Demar is now a no-brainer over Rudy. In my crazy opinion.
          The only thing Rudy will have over Demar when Demar is 26, is an inch in height, and alot more money from his crazy Max-contract.
          I don't have any statistical evidence to support this, but I feel DeMar's numbers are inflated (due to high usage with the Raptors), and Gay's numbers lowered (due to sharing touches with ZBo/Gasol...two legit allstars).

But at the end of the day, the most important distinction between DeMar and Gay is Gay's ability to create something out of nothing. He's a closer. You can clear out the floor and give him the ball in an ISO situation, with the clock winding down, and say "create a shot....win us the game". We haven't had such a weapon since Vince quit (approaching 8 years).

I think Gay's skillset is far too valuable to pass up.

Comment

I don't have any statistical evidence to support this, but I feel DeMar's numbers are inflated (due to high usage with the Raptors), and Gay's numbers lowered (due to sharing touches with ZBo/Gasol...two legit allstars).

But at the end of the day, the most important distinction between DeMar and Gay is Gay's ability to create something out of nothing. He's a closer. You can clear out the floor and give him the ball in an ISO situation, with the clock winding down, and say "create a shot....win us the game". We haven't had such a weapon since Vince quit (approaching 8 years).

I think Gay's skillset is far too valuable to pass up.
            Exactly. the 23-10 Grizzlies are way different than the 13-22 Raptors

Comment

Rudy Gay leads Memphis in usage rate with a career-high of 25.84, his TS% is a career-low 48.7, 44% of his shots are assisted. Inside 9 ft he shoots 53.8% on 6.5 attempts per game. Between 10-23ft Rudy shoots 39.2% on 5.6 attempts. 32.3 3P% on 3.3 attempts. 0.25 FT rate, second lowest in his career. Career high is 0.31

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Rudy%20Gay

Demar's usage rate is 23.99, TS% of 52.5, 52% of his shots are assisted, down from 63.8% last year. Inside 9ft he shoots 61.6% on 6 attempts per game. Between 10-23ft Demar shoots 37.8% on 6.6 attempts. 30.9 3P%, 1.7 attempts. Career low 0.32 FT rate, 0.37 last year.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?...eMar%20DeRozan
              Last edited by bobbybutler; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Nilanka wrote:
                and Gay's numbers lowered (due to sharing touches with ZBo/Gasol...two legit allstars).
                Would his FG% not be reflective of this though? Feels like it should. But at 41% on the season, Rudy is shooting at lower clip than any FG% Demar has ever averaged as a Pro.

bobbybutler wrote: View Post
                Rudy Gay leads Memphis in usage rate with a career-high of 25.84, his TS% is a career-low 48.7, 44% of his shots are assisted. Inside 9 ft he shoots 53.8% on 6.5 attempts per game. Between 10-23ft Rudy shoots 39.2% on 5.6 attempts. 32.3 3P% on 3.3 attempts. 0.25 FT rate, second lowest in his career. Career high is 0.31

Demar's usage rate is 23.99, TS% of 52.5, 52% of his shots are assisted, down from 63.8% last year. Inside 9ft he shoots 61.6% on 6 attempts per game. Between 10-23ft Demar shoots 37.8% on 6.6 attempts. 30.9 3P%, 1.7 attempts. Career low 0.32 FT rate, 0.37 last year.

This is exactly the break down I was hoping to do .. but you did it better. Thanks bobby!!
                Last edited by Joey; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

How is Rudy on defense?...I know what he can do on offense.

Comment

this is a great post. this shows exactly the offensive effect both have.

Demar is 3 years younger, millions of dollars cheaper, used less and more efficient.

trading him for one inch, less efficient scoring and millions of dollars doesn't make sense.

chewbacca is a wookie. wookies do not live on endor. it does not make sense.
                    Last edited by Joey; Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:12 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      this is a great post. this shows exactly the offensive effect both have.

sense is 3 years younger, millions of dollars cheaper, used less and more efficient.

trading him for one inch, less efficient scoring and millions of dollars doesn't make sense.

chewbacca is a wookie. wookies do not live on endor. it does not make sense.
                      demar not sense. stupid auto correct

Comment

And how does DeMar compare to Gay on the other side of the ball?

Comment

Working...
                        X