Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    My bad. Apologies to BasketballCrush
    I also am looking at the minutes. If Gay comes on board, there is no point in benching AA, you are just loosing momentum on an asset, you better trade him or play him. He has earned it.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      I would love Gay in a Raptors uniform, but I would rather have Millsap. I just don't see them being able to get both. Gay will eat a lot of that cap space up ($17M next season), and with their roster adding up to $59M in salaries next season, the Raptors would have to reduce a lot of salary to be able to get about $11/$12M under the cap to get Millsap.

$59M + $17M (Gay) = $76M
      ---> the cap is at $58M.. and say they raise it to $63M the Raptors would still have to shed $24/$25M so that they get about $11M under the cap and that does not include Jose's salary since it would already be off the books.

Even if they included DeMar in a trade, they still wouldn't have enough if they amnestied Andrea. They would have to create a wild 3 or 4 team trade that included both Andrea and DeMar, and then look to amnesty Kleiza.

I just don't see it happening.

Of course they could trade for Millsap and then use his Bird Rights to resign him. Something like this.
      1. trade DeRozan & Calderon for Gay
      2. trade Bargnani for salary relief (ie: expiring contract, non-guaranteed contract)
      3. amnesty Kleiza (#2 & #3 could be reversed)

That would leave them with enough cap space to go after a top free agent PF, while still having both Davis/Amir on the roster. They could free up more space by trading one of them (and going after a legit C to play behind Valanciunas).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I actually did say that in an earlier post, completely unrelated to Gay. I said that I would support trading AA while his value was at its highest, considering he's not in the long-term plans for the team.

Two realistic suggestions I gave were:
        1) trade AA for 1 or 2 2nd round picks
        2) trade AA & 1 of Toronto's 2nd round picks for a mid-late 1st round pick (ie: to a playoff team)
        I agree with this wholeheartedly. I love AA, but he's making almost no money, and is playing about as well as he can. He really isn't in the long term plans, no matter how much he's bringing right now and his value might bring back something useful, be it a pick or as part of a bigger deal.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
          Also our team thrives on ball movement. We have players that are most effective when they get shots. Not so sure about getting Gay and him demanding a certain amount of touches.

Again no one has addressed the elephant in the room? Why bolt from a 23-10 team? For touches? Please tell me that is not the reason.
          I did, several posts ago. He doesn't want to 'bolt'. He is frustrated being the #3 option and being the fans' scapegoat. It's more a matter of the team realizing a change is needed (similar to Bargnani in Toronto) and owernship wanting to lower payroll.

Comment

2. trade Bargnani for salary relief (ie: expiring contract, non-guaranteed contract)

That would leave them with enough cap space to go after a top free agent PF, while still having both Davis/Amir on the roster. They could free up more space by trading one of them (and going after a legit C to play behind Valanciunas).
            I like this. I would give up DD for Gay in a heartbeat. I honestly think that AA is the more relevant player, to the teams success. My opinion is that DD is super easy to replace.

(I like Derozan as a player, as human being, but I think Gay is much more valuable and I just don't think Derozan will ever step out of the shadows)
            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
              Also our team thrives on ball movement. We have players that are most effective when they get shots. Not so sure about getting Gay and him demanding a certain amount of touches.

Again no one has addressed the elephant in the room? Why bolt from a 23-10 team? For touches? Please tell me that is not the reason.
              Firstly, we don't know if he wants out. It's just speculation, isn't it? It's not like he's publicly demanding a trade.

Secondly, why is wanting a change of scenery considered so evil? If Gay feels he's under-utilized, and blamed by the media/fanbase, then a fresh start could be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Comment

Can you pass the bong, CRF?

jk

Comment

No, I respect Memphis's decision to focus on their bigs, considering the advantage that the combination of Gasol/Randolph gives them. It's clear that Gay has been their #3 option, which is likely a big reason why his numbers aren't what they could be and why he is likely frustrated (especially when their home fanbase attacks him for not putting up bigger numbers, as if he were their #1 option).
                  #3 option??? He plays more minutes and takes more shots than anyone on the team. The advantage of Gasol/Randolph is clear, but when LA had Gasol/Bynum, it didn't stop Kobe Bryant from dominating the games as he was their best player. Gay may not be Kobe, but he also does not really dominate games, and despite his talent level, hasn't been able to distinguish himself as Memphis' top player. If he was a legit #1 option, he would be one there, is my point.

Comment

Firstly, we don't know if he wants out. It's just speculation, isn't it? It's not like he's publicly demanding a trade.

Secondly, why is wanting a change of scenery considered so evil? If Gay feels he's under-utilized, and blamed by the media/fanbase, then a fresh start could be exactly what the doctor ordered.
                    Why not, indeed. It is what is going to happen with Bargnani after all - minus the under utilization part.

Comment

I don't see #2 there working. Which team would give up an expiring contract big enough to take on Bargnani's $10M contract? I've tried but haven't been very successful.

Kleiza for an expiring contract may be more reasonable but even then he's been injured quite often so I'm not sure what his value would be like among other teams.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Can you pass the bong, CRF?

jk
                        lol was just pointing out that there are options... in theory

Comment

Lowry, Gay, AA, Amir/Davis, JV

I think that is one hell of a linup that will play solid D.

Comment

lol was just pointing out that there are options... in theory
                            I know. I was thinking along the same lines. Glad you did it before me because my explanation would have consisted of many more pixels.

Comment

He's better than any player on our roster. And what attitude issues? The fact that he ideally wants more touches? That's 90% of NBA players.

EDIT: If there's one thing this team is lacking, it's players who demand the ball in pressure situations.
                              Better than anybody on the roster, based on what? PER? Defensive abilities? And if we want volume chuckers with no conscience, then bring back Mike James at a fraction of the cost. And let's not forget that the Grizzlies made their deep playoff run a few years back when Gay was hurt. Gay is another "addition-by-subtraction" type of guy like Bargs.

Comment

I don't know about you guys but I am having a blast with the current squad we have. Even Jose. I look forward to watching games. I enjoy watching this team rise from the ashes like a phoenix and beating up on teams.

I really am entrtained as a fan, and I can't remember having the strut I have today and I have been a raptor fan for a long long time.

Mind you, reverse it to last month, and I would not have said a peep in this thread.

I am a bliever in not touching what is working, I would like Memphis to sweat it out, I don't want to rush out and trade. Also, why is that we are always the ones begging for dance partners. I want another team to be courting us.
                                Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X