Chisholm sums up reality of any Rudy Gay deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    On a lighter note, how many of you guys would rock Gay's jersey in public? ;D

You know some puckhead will snipe a comment your way. Kind of like naming your kid Sue, you know you are going to have to be tough.

(up in the farmlands, just wearing a raptor jersey makes you gay, so having GAY on it to boot would be quite the thrill for a hillbilly)
    I remember reading a stat a few years ago that the two worst selling jerseys at the NBA store were Rudy Gay and Chris Quinn, lol.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      I remember reading a stat a few years ago that the two worst selling jerseys at the NBA store were Rudy Gay and Chris Quinn, lol.
      lol

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        I'm really not an Ilyasova fan.. I think he played hard in a contract year, and is now showing his true colours. I'm a big Millsap fan though and would love for him to be a Raptor.
        You may be right.

I don't think playing in MIL's front court and with Skiles this year has been an easy task though. Hardly the model for consistency or role awareness.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          So playing with the ESPN trade machine, I can make the above concept work but it would take 5 teams and 13 players (in other words it would tie for the largest trade in NBA history with the Miami deal that brought Shaq to Miami).

On the link you need to use your imagination because Ilyasova can't be included for another 5 days hence all those Bucks heading to Toronto but their salary equals just a few thousand over $7.9M. Also Trade Machine does not allow 5 teams. Also Minnesota can take on Gasol and a player who makes less than $854k sending out Pek/Williams/Ridnour/Lee. Finally, Gasol plus player making less than $854k going to MIN and Calderon/Bargnani going to Lakers .... so with that said:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=asgwczv (and throw some picks around: Memphis 1st back to them from MIN? Raps 2nd rd to Lakers?)

Minnesota: Gasol, Jamison
          Bucks: DeRozan, Wroten, Lee
          Grizz: Dunleavy, Williams, Ridnour
          Lakers: Calderon, Bargnani
          Raptors: Gay, Pekovic, Ilyasova

DeRozan, Calderon, Davis, 2nd rd

for

Gay, Ilyasova, Pekovic

Would you?
          No. I like Ilyasova, but obviously I'm not a huge fan of Gay. I like Pekovic ok, but he wouldn't be in long term plans and might be gettable on his own. If we could keep Ed and Demar, lose Bargs and get Ilyasova, I would be happy with that. Ilyasova could play backup 4 as a stretch 4 behind Ed, and spot minutes at SF. This would leave wing minutes for Demar, Ross and Fields.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            I'm really not an Ilyasova fan.. I think he played hard in a contract year, and is now showing his true colours. I'm a big Millsap fan though and would love for him to be a Raptor.
            If BC could somehow turn Bargnani($10)/Calderon($10.6)/DeRozan($6.4 in trade, due to poison pill provision)/Kleiza($4.6)/Davis($2.2) into Gay($16.5) & Millsap ($8.6), at the deadline and/or the offseason (ie: signing Millsap as free agent), I'd be quite impressed. He could even take on bad contract(s) up to $8.7M and still come out even (or up to $4.1M if Kleiza is excluded and amnestied in the offseason).

C: Valanciunas
            PF: Millsap, Johnson
            SF: Gay
            SG: Fields, Ross
            PG: Lowry

They'd still have Gray, Acy, Anderson, Pietrus and Lucas on the roster this season as well, plus whoever else comes back in trade.
            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

You may be right.

I don't think playing in MIL's front court and with Skiles this year has been an easy task though. Hardly the model for consistency or role awareness.
              I agree, especially with 2 guards in MIL who can tend to look for their own shot a lot in Jennings and Ellis. I think Ilyasova could flourish in the role people want for Bargs now. Could be a stretch 4 actually capable of rebounding, defending, and sliding over to SF or even C (in foul trouble or really strange matchups). His contract is long, but not necessarily bad value. I also don't know if he's not playing hard this year, but if that's the case I'd be surprised. Last year he shot 45% from 3, and that's just crazy, and I wouldn't expect that to even necessarily happen again. But other than that, he has always played with high energy and effort levels, not just last year.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                If BC could somehow turn Bargnani($10)/Calderon($10.6)/DeRozan($6.4 in trade, due to poison pill provision)/Kleiza($4.6)/Davis($2.2) into Gay($16.5) & Millsap ($8.6), at the deadline and/or the offseason (ie: signing Millsap as free agent), I'd be quite impressed. He could even take on bad contract(s) up to $8.7M and still come out even (or up to $4.1M if Kleiza is excluded and amnestied in the offseason).

C: Valanciunas
                PF: Millsap, Johnson
                SF: Gay
                SG: Fields, Ross
                PG: Lowry

They'd still have Gray, Acy, Anderson, Pietrus and Lucas on the roster this season as well, plus whoever else comes back in trade.
                I might be wrong but my understanding is DeRozan counts as $3.3M going out this year for Toronto but $8.26M for the receiving team. The $8.26M is an average of this season salary plus the extension so $3.3M + $38M divided by 5 years is $8.26M.

Comment

• I would be more inclined to be a facilitator for Gay instead. Obviously this would not happen, but something like this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b6qv63x

Love is injured again, not happy in Minnesota, and they are interested in Gay. Bargnani will give them the stretch capability that Love gave them and they have Pekovich to rebound. I'd prefer if DWilliams came back instead of Kirilenko but can't really complain if you are getting Love.

I'd be happy if the Raptors got Love instead of Millsap

Comment

I might be wrong but my understanding is DeRozan counts as $3.3M going out this year for Toronto but $8.26M for the receiving team. The $8.26M is an average of this season salary plus the extension so $3.3M + $38M divided by 5 years is $8.26M.
                    I think you're right about it only counting as an increased amount for the receiving team. I had just done ($3.3 + $9.5)/2 = $6.4, forgetting that I had to account for the corrected average over the entire length of the combined contracts (as you have done), to come up with the $8.26M amount.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I think you're right about it only counting as an increased amount for the receiving team. I had just done ($3.3 + $9.5)/2 = $6.4, forgetting that I had to account for the corrected average over the entire length of the combined contracts (as you have done), to come up with the $8.26M amount.
                      That is cool but just don't let that sh!t happen again.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        +1

i said in the other thread that unless memphis just wants finacial relief we shouldn't be trading the kids away. not worth ed. amir/bargs/klieza/anderson/fields/jose should all be in play but aside form that it's not the best deal for us.
                        Ive been hearing that phx is highly interested in Bargs... and also hearing things about memphis wanting dudley ... i smell 3 way trade in some sorts the thing thats missing for me is that we have too many 3men and not enough 4's ... there would have to be either another big involved coming back to us or a seperate deal that would need to be in the works before this deal could go through.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          +1

This statement cannot be stressed enough.
                          I think what "other" Raps fans fail to realize is that Gay continually gets "superstar" branding despite playing alongside other top tier players in Marc and Paul Gasol, Randolph and Mayo.

Throughout his career his production has been steady, why no visible improvement? Because Memphis has always had more than 1 top tier player on their team who Gay is sharing shots with. Clearly when he comes to Toronto, he will be the first and foremost option on offense, and if he can share the ball with top tier talents, im dying to see what he can do when he's "the man" on a team.

Comment

• Burnit482 wrote: View Post
                            Ive been hearing that phx is highly interested in Bargs... and also hearing things about memphis wanting dudley ... i smell 3 way trade in some sorts the thing thats missing for me is that we have too many 3men and not enough 4's ... there would have to be either another big involved coming back to us or a seperate deal that would need to be in the works before this deal could go through.
                            Do you have a source for this?

I can't see PHX interested in Bargnani.

Comment

• Phoenix: where shitty raptors go to die
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Maybe we can send them Kleiza as well

Comment

Working...
                                X