No announcement yet.

Chisholm sums up reality of any Rudy Gay deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Minnesota Timberwolves turned down a trade with the Memphis Grizzlies for Rudy Gay, according to a report.

Speculation suggests the Grizzlies offered a deal that would have sent Gay to the Timberwolves in return for Kevin Love and/or Nikola Pekovic.

REALGM
    I'm in favour of acquiring Gay but we shouldn't necessarily be the aggressors in the trade. If Memphis really wants to unload that contract we would have the upper hand. Especially if other teams are rejecting the Grizz offers.

Despite the contract size and Gay's mediocre defense we need him. He would be a piece that helps us win a unit a la Bulls, nuggets, jazz or Grizz. Someone who can handle the ball in the last 10 seconds. Hopefully we move Bargs (and his contract) if Gay came north.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
      I think Gay is definitely a BIG upgrade over Fields, AA, Ross (at the moment) and Kleiza. Skill and statistics wise. Stats-wise he is currently at par with Demar, but considering Demar is currently the #1 option on his team and Gay's rank with Memphis fluctuates on a nightly basis, i dont see a comparison there, also, Gay and Demar have different positions so i dont see their game overlapping each other's.

The guy has taken 393 jumpshots this season. 393!! Because the memphis bigs are playing in the paint. You cant possibly expect the guy to increase his percentage if he keeps shooting far from the basket.
      Plus, shot-selection is entirely coachable.

I'm not sure if the doubters have watched Gay enough. He's a clear upgrade.

Comment

• I'm not sure if anyone has even considered it yet but doesn't Gay kind of remind you of Jermaine O'Neal?

JO was 30 at the time where as Gay is 26 so there is a difference but both had big salaries. JO was a perennial all-star but then got injured and was never the same. Gay has a track record of being on the shelf and has been considered a perennial all-star (it's much tougher to make it on the all-star team in the West). He has also regressed from previous years. JO was brought in to please Bosh. You could say Gay could be doing the same for Lowry. The guy that was just drafted (Bargnani) plays the same position as JO. Gay plays a similar position to DeMar who just came off his rookie contract.

To get JO, the Raptors had to give away a first rounder (who ended up becoming Hibbert). To get Gay the Raptors may need to give up a previously drafted first rounder (Davis/Ross, who may end up becoming all-stars).

If Bryan wasn't our GM I would be all over a Gay trade - but because he is I am scared sh!tless.

Comment

• Gay is having a rough year if you watch him play hes bread and butter most nights guy can ball and put Memphis on his back. All year hes been struggling with his mother on her death bed and she just recently passed, she was at all of his games at home. Gay is a momma's boy its pretty sweet.

I want the deal to happen but just dont move DeRozan, JV or Ross and i'll be happy with it.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            I'm not sure if anyone has even considered it yet but doesn't Gay kind of remind you of Jermaine O'Neal?

JO was 30 at the time where as Gay is 26 so there is a difference but both had big salaries. JO was a perennial all-star but then got injured and was never the same. Gay has a track record of being on the shelf and has been considered a perennial all-star (it's much tougher to make it on the all-star team in the West). He has also regressed from previous years. JO was brought in to please Bosh. You could say Gay could be doing the same for Lowry. The guy that was just drafted (Bargnani) plays the same position as JO. Gay plays a similar position to DeMar who just came off his rookie contract.

To get JO, the Raptors had to give away a first rounder (who ended up becoming Hibbert). To get Gay the Raptors may need to give up a previously drafted first rounder (Davis/Ross, who may end up becoming all-stars).

If Bryan wasn't our GM I would be all over a Gay trade - but because he is I am scared sh!tless.
            hahaha sorry man but i think you're stretching this quite a bit. Its like your wife asking you to buy beans and you come home with broccoli, and youre trying to justify it...um, theyre both green, both vegetables, both start with a B. hehehe

JO already had 12 years under his belt and major, major surgery when he came to the Raps. He was acquired as a piece, not THE piece. He was thought to be a good compliment to Bosh, which i think he was, but injury just took its toll again. Gay is not injury prone. His only injury year was 2010-11 and he came back last year averaging virtually the exact same numbers as he did before he got injured.

I think one notion that we have to get rid of is that Gay and Demar will overlap. Given the non-positional theme of the current NBA, players are still categorized most of the time. In short, Demar is a guard and Gay is a forward. Loud and clear.

Comment

I think Gay is definitely a BIG upgrade over Fields, AA, Ross (at the moment) and Kleiza. Skill and statistics wise. Stats-wise he is currently at par with Demar, but considering Demar is currently the #1 option on his team and Gay's rank with Memphis fluctuates on a nightly basis, i dont see a comparison there, also, Gay and Demar have different positions so i dont see their game overlapping each other's.

The guy has taken 393 jumpshots this season. 393!! Because the memphis bigs are playing in the paint. You cant possibly expect the guy to increase his percentage if he keeps shooting far from the basket.
              If we can keep Demar and get rid of Fields, AA, Kleiza, Andrea I would to take Rudy. I just dont want to give up Demar or Ross for him. I think he's overated and overpaid to a certain degree. YES - he would likely be our best player talent wise (I admit that).

Comment

hahaha sorry man but i think you're stretching this quite a bit. Its like your wife asking you to buy beans and you come home with broccoli, and youre trying to justify it...um, theyre both green, both vegetables, both start with a B. hehehe

JO already had 12 years under his belt and major, major surgery when he came to the Raps. He was acquired as a piece, not THE piece. He was thought to be a good compliment to Bosh, which i think he was, but injury just took its toll again. Gay is not injury prone. His only injury year was 2010-11 and he came back last year averaging virtually the exact same numbers as he did before he got injured.

I think one notion that we have to get rid of is that Gay and Demar will overlap. Given the non-positional theme of the current NBA, players are still categorized most of the time. In short, Demar is a guard and Gay is a forward. Loud and clear.
                +1 again. You're on a roll today, Glove

The only thing I might disagree with is the overlapping part. Neither DeRozan or Gay are legitimate 3-point threats. In my ideal wing rotation, one of my starters is a bomber. From this perspective, I think Ross is a better compliment to Gay than DeRozan.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                  If we can keep Demar and get rid of Fields, AA, Kleiza, Andrea I would to take Rudy. I just dont want to give up Demar or Ross for him. I think he's overated and overpaid to a certain degree. YES - he would likely be our best player talent wise (I admit that).
                  We are in partial agreement, hehe

In this situation, unfortunately, it seems like in order to get talent, you have to surrender talent. If BC can pull of a Kupchak and acquire Gay like how Kupchak acquired Gasol for scrubs, then by all means! Unfortunately, I dont think (i may be wrong, maybe Gay loves the snow) Toronto is a top-of-the-list destination for Gay like LA was for Gasol, meaning the Lakers had leverage that time and Toronto, at current, does not. So if it means giving up Demar to get Gay, i would have to say yes, only because there is still a fallback with Ross taking over Demar's spot. Ross is already showing that he can play the way Demar is playing, plus a 3 point stroke and much more hustle and effort. If the Raps did not have Ross, i would think twice about giving up Demar for Gay because of the financial implications, but because they have Ross, i wouldnt think twice.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    +1 again. You're on a roll today, Glove

The only thing I might disagree with is the overlapping part. Neither DeRozan or Gay are legitimate 3-point threats. In my ideal wing rotation, one of my starters is a bomber. From this perspective, I think Ross is a better compliment to Gay than DeRozan.
                    hahahaha RR poster of the day!!

I guess you'll +1 my post before this one then coz i just said i'd take Ross over Demar! hahaha

I just mentioned the Demar-Gay tandem because if the Raps do pull-off the Claderon+Davis+pick for Gay trade then most likely DD and Gay will be playing heavy minutes together. But pure one on one comparison, both of them are not threats, but id rather leave Demar on the 3pt line than Gay.

Comment

• If we play both DD And Gay, who is going to play defense?

Comment

• connected wrote: View Post
                        I'm in favour of acquiring Gay but we shouldn't necessarily be the aggressors in the trade. If Memphis really wants to unload that contract we would have the upper hand. Especially if other teams are rejecting the Grizz offers.

Despite the contract size and Gay's mediocre defense we need him. He would be a piece that helps us win a unit a la Bulls, nuggets, jazz or Grizz. Someone who can handle the ball in the last 10 seconds. Hopefully we move Bargs (and his contract) if Gay came north.
                        I disagree. I think BC should be aggressive in getting this trade done, but not at the expense of giving too much in return. Im not sure if giving up too much is what you meant by "aggressive", if it is, then i agree with you. I think BC should always be aggressive in pursuing trades that can benefit the team.

Im not sure where people are getting "mediocre" when describing Gay's defense. Memphis was the 8th best defensive team 2 years ago, 5th best last year and #1 this year. Gay plays 37 mins a game, surely he's a big contributor to Memphis' defense since he plays heavy minutes. And his individual DRating is 105, 102 and 99 respectively. compared to lebron who was 102,97 and 103, who plays the same position and has been considered numerous times for DPOY.

This is actually my selling point with Gay, the ability to handle the ball in the crucial seconds of the game, something that the Raptors have been lacking for quite sometime, and which i think is a skill highly underrated and undervalued. You need a guy who can do this.
                        Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• So apparently both T-wolves and warriors gave rejected deals for Rudy Gay.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                            If we play both DD And Gay, who is going to play defense?
                            It depends, do the Raptors plan to play just DD and Gay against the other team's 5 other players on the floor? Or put in 3 other guys along with DD and Gay?

Comment

• "I'm not sure where people are getting "mediocre" when describing Gay's defense."

from scouting report:
                              His length nets him a lot of blocks and steals, but the Grizzlies gave up 6.0 more points per 100 possessions when he was on the floor.

Comment

But isnt that the M.O. of every GM in the league? Find ways to improve the team and one of the ways of doing it is to get players better than the crap (according to you) that you currently have? To me, cap space is like a office spending voucher. Initially, you think, wow, i have all this money to spend for the whole year, so i better save it. You find something worthy of buying, you say to yourself, hhhmm, maybe i can get something better, or cheaper, so you wait. And wait. And wait. Till the time comes when the voucher is about to expire and youre stuck and forced to spend it on things that you dont really need. IMO, if you have the money, spend it on the first best thing that comes along. If you think the Raptors have other more surefire prospects than Gay, let me know.
                                I think you answered your own post right there. Gay is not worth the money. We all agree on that. And since when did overpaying-for-mediocre-talent become the M.O. of every GM in the league? lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X