Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Chisholm sums up reality of any Rudy Gay deal

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    I think you answered your own post right there. Gay is not worth the money. We all agree on that. And since when did overpaying-for-mediocre-talent become the M.O. of every GM in the league? lol.
    Mediocre?

Interesting.

I can see why consensus will never be reached on this topic.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Dude im right there with you. But what i think you and golden are a bit unclear with is that i am not advocating for acquiring Rudy Gay because i want the Raptors to target Rudy Gay, but right now, with what we are getting from the media, Rudy Gay is by far the most attainable prospect there is for the Raptors. If i had a choice, i wouldnt get Gay, id get Gasol, Lebron, Kobe, Durant. Answer me this, is there any other top level talent, that is better than any Raptor player, that is currently in the market, that their home team is willing to trade, other than Gay??

I guess the only other argument is to not acquire anybody, wait for calderon's contract to expire, keep Bargnani etc etc. But if a good deal comes to nab Gay, then why not, right? The only other prospect is Josh Smith, next year, and i dont see the Raps getting him unless they overpay.
    I would rather over pay for Josh Smith than to Overpay for Rudy Gay and give up half our talent (which we would likely need to do)!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Mediocre?

Interesting.

I can see why consensus will never be reached on this topic.
    Mediocre - THIS YEAR......he's not getting younger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    (Facepalm)

STATS 101, guys....

You need to look at the individual DRTG vs. the team DRTG. Lakers (107.0) vs Howard (101). Dwight is a full 6 pts/possession better than the team average. Steve Nash is at 111. That's pretty much what you expect.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2013.html
    (Facepalm)

So Gay who has an individual defensive rating of 99 (which is like awesome) is a horrible defender because the team is 98.8 (which is like 2nd best in the league) when he is off the floor.

Gotcha.

That mediocre bitch.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    Right...... i'm pretty sure if we give Lowry the keys and a nice contract Lowry (whom is very close with Alvin Williams) MAY choose to stay. This is a risk (we knew that coming in). But who did we give up for Lowry?? Your boy Gary Forbes and a draft pick..... Who do you want to give up for Rudy??? Be honest - i wont check the thread but i recall Jose, DD, ED + 2nd rounder if we had to...... thats too much for not even an all-star. YES - YOU DONT GET IT AT ALL!!
    lol, you really are "special" (remedial class special).

Jose is gone in a few months. Losing him means nothing.

Davis is a redundant player because we already have Amir. Not a big deal.

DeMar might be asking too much (if combined with Jose/Davis/picks), but he's nowhere near an untouchable player. Not even close.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Except for Gay's shoulder injury, he has missed 10 games in his career. 10 games total. He has missed 1 game in the last 1.5 seasons.

JO? C'mon. The only similarity is big contracts.... and JO's was actually $5M more per season.

LOL... yes I know there is really no comparison but as long as BC is our GM I have a fear that something bad will happen and the franchise will be screwed for another 4/5 years. I'm a Gay fan boy. I'd love if he was on this team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    lol, you really are "special" (remedial class special).

Jose is gone in a few months. Losing him means nothing.

Davis is a redundant player because we already have Amir. Not a big deal.

DeMar might be asking too much (if combined with Jose/Davis/picks), but he's nowhere near an untouchable player. Not even close.
    LOL - good one. Well i'm glad you admitted that including Demar would be asking too much (or might be asking too much)......Everyone knows you hate on Demar, but it was starting to get ridiculous!!

You only see talent when its on the other team. Maybe your just impatient or scorned from Bargnani..... regardless i was fine with giving up JOSE (your right he may be gone in a few months) and actually wouldnt it make sense for us to give up Amir instead of ED?? Amir's salary would match up better anyways. The most i give up for Mr. Gay + some BIG back is Amir + JOse + AA + 2nd Rounder. Take it or Leave it Memphis - IF not, pay the luxury tax for all i care.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    Memphis also knows Rudy best medically, they may be trying to sell high. Bird did that with JO'Neal to us.

Again, I think not a single playoff team will touch that contract or take the chance on a player like Gay (20 missed games each year from a key contributor is not something you can plan for). Not for 16 Million, the package that Memphis is requesting feels steep to me, I don't want to bail them out. They should just keep Gay if he is so good.

(also aren't they the ones instigating this trade, feels like someone wants to jump ship and clean their hands)

EDIT: If he misses 20 games this year, next year, and plays just like he has toady. This would be a disaster. The up side is that some of you feel that he will be BETTER on our team, and I think that is wishful thinking, he should be better on Memphis who has the better cast, and record to prove it.
    Logically yes, no playoff team will take on Gay's contract, one, because if your team is a legit playoff team then what would be the reason behind messing up a team doing well? two, if you are a playoff team, chances are, you already have a player of Gay's caliber. But if they thought that Gay is a fit and taking on his salary would be a high risk high reward outcome, then i wouldnt doubt they would do it. When the lakers took on a supposed aging Gasol with a 19mil a year contract, what happened?

Gay missed close to half the season in 2010-11, but came back and missed only one game last year, and missed one game so far this year. what makes you think he's going to miss 20 games every year?

Youre riding on speculation. One can easily say that if the Raptors acquire LBJ, who knows he can miss 20 games every year. You cant speculate to justify your argument.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    LOL... yes I know there is really no comparison but as long as BC is our GM I have a fear that something bad will happen and the franchise will be screwed for another 4/5 years. I'm a Gay fan boy. I'd love if he was on this team.
    My bad. Playing catch up on the day.

Normally I would "pfft" a comment like the bold but, honestly and sadly, I feel the same.

But we should be aware those thoughts are not at all rational - lol.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

(Facepalm)

So Gay who has an individual defensive rating of 99 (which is like awesome) is a horrible defender because the team is 98.8 (which is like 2nd best in the league) when he is off the floor.

Gotcha.

That mediocre bitch.
    hahahhaa FACEPALM!

For a minute there, i was actually doing the facepalm and thinking to myself, did i just post a dumb comment?? hahaha.

Post Thanks / Like

Zach Lowe Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

Oh boy. RT @geoff_calkins: Lionel on analytics: "I'm trying to still figure out when the Oakland Athletics have won a world championship."
    Zach Lowe Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

Lionel Hollins going on anti-stats/analytics ramage weeks after Hollinger/Levien/Lash front office takeover is...interesting.
    Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

To be clear: I think Hollins is a good NBA coach. These comments might suggest a personal unease with what is going on around him. Who knows
    Interesting.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

A deal with Toronto that would include Andrea Bargnani and Jose Calderon might be attractive, considering that Bargnani makes $7.1 million and $7.8 million less than Gay over each of the next two seasons and Calderon's $10.5 million contract expires after this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/2...-winning-taxes
    No chance in hell it ever happens, but could you imagine Gay coming to TO for AB/JC? Raps could use MLE to resign Jose in the off-season - lol.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If that trade went down BC should get an extension right after it official.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    If that trade went down BC should get an extension right after it official.
    +1
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rudy Gay is having a clutch performance tonight against the Spurs wow incredible.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Im watching SA vs MEM and Gay looks real good! One huge block and clutch shot in overtime. They get the W. When he elevates for his jumper it's impossible to block. I still would hate to give up ED with the way his playing. I would the AB/JC in a heartbeat though. Too bad we don't have any picks to offer.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say that this has been a great thread, and most likely will continue to be that. Some really good thought by all, regardless which side you fall on in this debate.

I know that sometimes playing devil's advocate is frowned on, on message boards, but it does help to get a clearer focus when it comes to disecting the subject.

I have been really impressed guys, bravo.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe i saw this on The score actually, it is also on bleacher report but we all know how reliable that actually is...

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/01/w...-rudy-gay.html

"The Raptors are reportedly making the hardest push for Gay of any team. The Warriors, Suns, and Kings have also shown a great deal of interest in making a trade for the seven-year veteran.
    "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/01/w...-rudy-gay.html

"The Raptors are reportedly making the hardest push for Gay of any team. The Warriors, Suns, and Kings have also shown a great deal of interest in making a trade for the seven-year veteran.
    "
    That link is still basing everything off of Stein's post a few days ago.

If we do a scorecard of what has come out in recent days:

Warriors: not interested unless Biedrins or Jefferson included - nope.
    Wolves: rejected offer.
    Suns: Dudley and picks.
    Kings: interested.... no wait, they are not. Who knows? SI says no, ESPN says yes.
    Wizards: Proposed a 'good package'.... supposedly.
    Raptors: no doubt interested.
    Nuggets: no
    Rockets: no
    Clippers: Butler, Bledsoe, picks.

Then you have this:

Yes, everyone gets it. The financial situation is untenable. Something will ultimately have to be done. But ultimately does not mean this season. Ultimately does not mean this team should not get one final chance to see how far it can go.

If management makes a deal before the trade deadline, it had better be darn certain the swap makes the team better this year. Because messing with the Grizzlies now means messing with something that has taken a decade to build. It means messing with nights like Friday night.

It was a spectacular night, and not just the ending, though that certainly helped. The Grizzlies defeated the San Antonio Spurs in overtime, 101-98, evening the season series at one win apiece.

But this wasn't just a single win. It was a demonstration of everything this team has been about. And it was a cautionary tale for anyone who would try to remake a team that the city has come to love.

So it was that Lionel Hollins went on the radio Friday morning and said that he'd like to keep the team together at least this year. He then reiterated his position before the game.

"I like my team, we're 23-10; why would I want to break up a 23-10 team?" he said.

OK, but did he tell management his thoughts on the matter?

"I talk to them about a lot of things, but that's their call," he said. "If they didn't hear about it this morning, they'll hear about it tomorrow when you write a big, glorious column and I'll get the notes (Saturday) when I'm in Dallas and I should have kept my mouth shut."

Hollins wasn't being testy about any of this, just matter-of-fact. But this was the backdrop to a game that felt less like a game than a referendum on what the Grizzlies should do next.
    With all the kicking of tires, I would expect the Grizzlies to do nothing before the trade deadline. Draft night? Another story.
    Tim Leiweke

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information