Chisholm sums up reality of any Rudy Gay deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    As I mentioned on the main page yesterday, a Rudy Gay deal involving Calderon/Davis/parts would be highway robbery in our favour. Not sure why Memphis would consider it.

But I still don't understand why Raps fan would decline it....

The reason you pause on this deal, is becuase I dont think SF is a problem any more with AA. Not sure if Gay is the ideal upgrade for this team anymore.

If we are just acuiring a player, yes Gay is the best talent in this deal. At the same time, dropping Jose and Davis kills our team. From a team stand point, I don't think we get better with this swap.

I honestly dont care about PLAYERS anymore, I care about the team. I don't see this working out well for us. I think taking out Davis, Jose and AA is going to kill the lockeroom.

We get a great player, but we had Marion who was supposed to make us playoff bound as well. Sometimes I think team chemistry is mopre important than ONE player. I don't want to send AA packing, or relegate him to the bench. When I see a player playing this well, I pause, sure it may cost me an opportunity to get Gay, but we have been playing better than Memphis without Gay.

I really think we should value this squad more.

(I would be ellated if Memphis says no to this deal, they can fuck themselves, AA will make Gay gay, next meeting, BOOK IT)
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      How come? Seriously, is there a new restriction on trading picks in the new CBA?
      Yes - new CBA and old CBA.

Cannot trade first round picks in consecutive years. Cannot trade picks farther than 7 years out.

Raps have their 1st round pick tied up until either obligation to OKC is fulfilled or on draft night assuming Raps have a pick.

Now if they go out and get another 1st round pick, then that changes things, but as of now, no they cannot trade a 1st.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
        The reason you pause on this deal, is becuase I dont think SF is a problem any more with AA. Not sure if Gay is the ideal upgrade for this team anymore.

If we are just acuiring a player, yes Gay is the best talent in this deal. At the same time, dropping Jose and Davis kills our team. From a team stand point, I don't think we get better with that swap.

We get a great player, but we Marion was supposed to make us playoff bound as well. Sometimes I think team chemistry is mopre important than ONE player. I don't want to send AA packing, or relegate him to the bench.
        AA shouldn't be anyone's solution at small forward. He's a nice success story, and a decent bench player, but not a reason to look past Gay. He's a clear upgrade.

Dropping Jose and Davis may "kill us" this year, but that's assuming no further transactions are made. There's no reason to think Colangelo wouldn't make subsequent moves that helps us down the road. In the meantime, give Lowry the bulk of the minutes at PG, and have Amir and Jonas start in the front court, with Bargnani/Gray/Acy filling in as needed.

As for Marion, he's a glorified role player. His game is completely different than Gay's. Yes, they're both small forwards, but apples and oranges. Marion NEEDS his teammates to get him the ball in places/situations to score....Gay doesn't.

EDIT: If the Raps were a legit playoff team, then I would agree that messing with chemistry would be risky. But when a team's absolute ceiling is 40 games (in a best-case scenario), chemistry is not something we should be valuing more than an upgrade in talent.
        Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          How come? Seriously, is there a new restriction on trading picks in the new CBA?
          The Raptors can't trade any 1st round picks, due to the conditions placed on the 1st round pick owed to OKC (via Houston trade for Lowry). Until that conditional pick is resolved, no future 1st round picks can be traded.

Toronto's future 1st round pick will go to OKC if...
          2013: #4-14
          2014: #3-14
          2015: #3-14
          2016: #2-14
          2017: #2-14
          2018: no conditions

The Raptors still have 4 2nd round picks in play over the next 3 drafts...
          2013: Toronto
          2014: Toronto
          2014: Sacramento
          2015: Toronto
          2016: none (Toronto's 2nd round pick is owed to Memphis)
          2017: Toronto
          2018: Toronto

Comment

If we are just acuiring a player, yes Gay is the best talent in this deal. At the same time, dropping Jose and Davis kills our team. From a team stand point, I don't think we get better with this swap.

I honestly dont care about PLAYERS anymore, I care about the team. I don't see this working out well for us. I think taking out Davis, Jose and AA is going to kill the lockeroom.

We get a great player, but we had Marion who was supposed to make us playoff bound as well. Sometimes I think team chemistry is mopre important than ONE player. I don't want to send AA packing, or relegate him to the bench. When I see a player playing this well, I pause, sure it may cost me an opportunity to get Gay, but we have been playing better than Memphis without Gay.

I really think we should value this squad more.

(I would be ellated if Memphis says no to this deal, they can fuck themselves, AA will make Gay gay, next meeting, BOOK IT)
            AA is a 30 year old journeyman who is at peak value, playing on a <$1M contract... I seriously hope that BC looks to trade him at the deadline to a playoff team that wants upgraded 3pt shooting. Same goes for Pietrus.

AA & Pietrus are not in the future plans of this franchise, especially with DeRozan, Ross, Fields and Kleiza already on the roster, so they should be considered as nothing more than assets or trade-chips to cash in.

If BC could flip AA and Pietrus for draft picks or prospects, it would be a good use of assets.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Calderon + Davis + 2nd round pick for Gay

All day everyday.

Flexibility is not killed, merely altered.

People need to take off the homer blinders.
              *** --- i'm sorry..... I live in the here and now. Okay, Rudy was a border-line all-star a few years ago (I got that). He's currently being shopped by his current team (who i assume knows a bit more about his character than we do). Why on earth are we looking to give up our assets when he's having an off year to begin with????

Let's look at the numbers shall we?

Rudy Gay - 26 years old

17.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.6 apg

shooting 41% fg, 31 %3pfg - effiency at +15.34

His Career average is 17.9 ppg

Demar Derozan - 23 years old

18.1 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.9 apg

shooting 44% fg, 29% 3pfg - effiency at 15.20

his career ppg is 14.6 and rising

Why on earth would we give up DD, Calderon, ED + picks for a Rudy Gay????....personally i wouldnt give up DD for Rudy Gay

I like DD's work ethic and i think i'd rather keep my fingers crossed that he keeps improving..... Why do you think Rudy will even stay here after his two years is up??? We know DD wants to be here.... I hope that AB + Calderon + Kleiza + a shit pick can do the trick (especially with other teams involved). I wouldnt give up anything of significance for RUDY **SORRY*

Then i hope we can get Calderon back next year

Comment

Also what the hell does Gay have to complain about in Memphis? They are 23-10.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                  The Raptors should not be making this trade under any circumstance unless they are sending Andrea Bargnani back instead of Ed Davis.
                  Agreed.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    AA is a 30 year old journeyman who is at peak value, playing on a <$1M contract... I seriously hope that BC looks to trade him at the deadline to a playoff team that wants upgraded 3pt shooting. Same goes for Pietrus.

AA & Pietrus are not in the future plans of this franchise, especially with DeRozan, Ross, Fields and Kleiza already on the roster, so they should be considered as nothing more than assets or trade-chips to cash in.

If BC could flip AA and Pietrus for draft picks or prospects, it would be a good use of assets.
                    The way the CBA is structured, you do not let go of players that are producing and getting paid so little. At least not if you want to be competitive.

I don't think he is a long term option, but Considering Gay wants out of a 23-10 team, I don't think Gay is a long term option for us either.

I take the lower contract and the better defence.

Comment

Also what the hell does Gay have to complain about in Memphis? They are 23-10.
                      From what I've read the past couple seasons, his biggest beef is how he is a #3 option behind Randolph/Gasol. However, the fanbase attacks him as a scapegoat, since he was a high draft pick who signed a max contract, despite the fact that it's the coaching staff that relegate him to the #3 option (similar to situation to how Raps fans use Bargnani as a scapegoat).

I think Gay could thrive as a #1 option in a lineup with Lowry, DeRozan/Ross, Valaciunas and a legit starting PF (whether it's Davis or TBD)

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                        *** --- i'm sorry..... I live in the here and now. Okay, Rudy was a border-line all-star a few years ago (I got that). He's currently being shopped by his current team (who i assume knows a bit more about his character than we do). Why on earth are we looking to give up our assets when he's having an off year to begin with????

Let's look at the numbers shall we?

Rudy Gay - 26 years old

17.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.6 apg

shooting 41% fg, 31 %3pfg - effiency at +15.34

His Career average is 17.9 ppg

Demar Derozan - 23 years old

18.1 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.9 apg

shooting 44% fg, 29% 3pfg - effiency at 15.20

his career ppg is 14.6 and rising

Why on earth would we give up DD, Calderon, ED + picks for a Rudy Gay????....personally i wouldnt give up DD for Rudy Gay

I like DD's work ethic and i think i'd rather keep my fingers crossed that he keeps improving..... Why do you think Rudy will even stay here after his two years is up??? We know DD wants to be here.... I hope that AB + Calderon + Kleiza + a shit pick can do the trick (especially with other teams involved). I wouldnt give up anything of significance for RUDY **SORRY*

Then i hope we can get Calderon back next year
                        In your reply you have quoted me saying I would trade Calderon, ED, and a 2nd round pick for Gay yet you go on about DeRozan.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          I think Gay could thrive as a #1 option in a lineup with Lowry, DeRozan/Ross, Valaciunas and a legit starting PF (whether it's Davis or TBD)
                          +1

This statement cannot be stressed enough.

Comment

The way the CBA is structured, you do not let go of players that are producing and getting paid so little. At least not if you want to be competitive.

I don't think he is a long term option, but Considering Gay wants out of a 23-10 team, I don't think Gay is a long term option for us either.

I take the lower contract and the better defence.
                            If I could flip AA for a couple 2nd round picks, or flip AA with one of Toronto's 2nd round picks for a mid-late 1st round pick, I'd do it in a heartbeat. AA is NOT in the long-term plans for the Raptors, so it would be in the team's long-term interests to turn him into either a draft pick or a young prospect.

My thoughts on AA are mutually exclusive to my thoughts about Gay.

Comment

Wow, I knew the condition mattered, but I just figured with all the loopholes that you could trade a pick that is later than the conditions on the one currently being sent out to OKC, or with conditions for when that is traded away, like trading away their next available pick, which even with a year gap could've been 2015. I also didn't realize/remember the pick was protected until 2018!!!! Talk about not having confidence in your rebuild...Damn it Colangelo...

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                                Okay, Rudy was a border-line all-star a few years ago (I got that). He's currently being shopped by his current team (who i assume knows a bit more about his character than we do).
                                False logic to assume that players being "shopped" are somehow damaged goods. Great players get traded all the time in any sport.

The idea that Gay is a malcontent, lazy, no-defense, cancer is grossly overblown.

Comment

Working...
                                X