Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Calderon/Fields end of clock play.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Calderon/Fields end of clock play.

I only saw the highlights on Sportsnet, because I didn't get to finish the game, and I had no idea this happened.

So. What exactly happened with that last play? I know Philly got a little pissed, but was the shot-clock still on? Or what?

Just want to know what happened, doesn't seem like a Calderon thing to do quite frankly.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah who cares.

20 seconds left on the clock, gave Fields his double double.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RNsteve wrote: View Post
    Ah who cares.

20 seconds left on the clock, gave Fields his double double.
    I kind of do, that's why I'm asking. I watched the post-game reaction, and he felt pretty bad about it, but apparently the entire Philly team was sour.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the shot clock was still on. I was surprised to see it. But all of the Philly players were moving up around centre court, and I guess Calderon was just like, "ah, f*** it, we gotta put up a shot anyways."

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched the game, Casey was calling for Calderon to run the clock down. Philly wasn't really playing defense and Fields decided to cut hard to the basket and call for the ball, so Calderon fed it to him. Philly had obviously given up so it's not the best thing to do. At the same time though, I don't fault Calderon for rewarding a guy whose making a strong cut to the basket.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star FoxMachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

was def an awkward moment afterwards.. arguments could be made for either side and id accept either one.. neither team deserves the right to care.. look forward to the next game and hopefully we can even up the series

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Shot clock was still running - what did Casey want them to do, dribble it out until they turn it over?

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah when the shot clock is still running, a shot is going to be put up either way. It's Philly's fault for letting themselves get embarrassed.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Twas a great pass.

I dont know what philly was expecting, they had to know there was still a possession to be had. Its really no different than if Jose had waited till the last second of the shot clock and hit a half court 3. Everyone just views the alley-oop as the holy grail of basketball.

"Hand Down, Man Down." - Mark Jackson

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote coastal wrote: View Post
    Shot clock was still running - what did Casey want them to do, dribble it out until they turn it over?
    Yes, that is what the coach was asking him to do. It was a momentary lapse for Jose whom is usually a very classy guy. But none the less it would be considered unsportsmanlike.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont understand the beef 76ers were sour they expected to win this game Fields and Amir played huge im glad they made that play to give Fields his double double, good for his confidnece bounce back having him in the starting line up and playing as long as he did 42 minutes was it? dam was a huge difference maker.

Hes in good shape too playing out of his positiong grabbing 11 boards playing that long he didn't look gassed. Bravo Fields.

Post Thanks / Like

who cares

like honestly

i saw jose and landry run to the philly changeroom to apologize, what more does philly want?
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Yes, that is what the coach was asking him to do. It was a momentary lapse for Jose whom is usually a very classy guy. But none the less it would be considered unsportsmanlike.
    Yup, it comes down to the unwritten rule of basketball etiquette. You shouldn't go out of your way to embarrass your opponent when the outcome is already decided.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuck you 6er crybabies

Pay attention to the game clock. You had to defend one more play.

All this don't rub salt in our woulds crap is little boy bullshit.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Yup, it comes down to the unwritten rule of basketball etiquette. You shouldn't go out of your way to embarrass your opponent when the outcome is already decided.
    I'm on the fence on this one. I dont think anything more can embarrass a team when its pretty much given that they will lose the game. I dont think its written anywhere that you can grab somebody else's nads when going for a rebound or kick another player in the groin when taking a shot, but when caught, players get suspend. Up until the league starts handing out suspensions for "putting points on the board when the game is out of reach" then i say do alley-oops and 360 dunks even when your team is ahead by 30 with 10 seconds to go in the game.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I'm on the fence on this one. I dont think anything more can embarrass a team when its pretty much given that they will lose the game. I dont think its written anywhere that you can grab somebody else's nads when going for a rebound or kick another player in the groin when taking a shot, but when caught, players get suspend. Up until the league starts handing out suspensions for "putting points on the board when the game is out of reach" then i say do alley-oops and 360 dunks even when your team is ahead by 30 with 10 seconds to go in the game.
    This is where the polarity exists. We're not talking about a violation. We're talking about etiquette. There's nothing illegal about belching out loud in a fine dining restaurant. It's just in poor taste, and annoys the hell out of your fellow patrons.

All I'm saying is that there's a reason Calderon and Fields went to the Philly locker room to apologize. They wouldn't have done so if they didn't feel they crossed a line. There's a difference between taking a 3 point heave to avoid a shot-clock violation, versus throwing a lob against no defenders.

I'm not saying I agree with the unwritten rule. I'm just saying that it exists. The NBA is a brotherhood. Philly will remember this play when we play them next.

Should Philly have thicker skin and suck it up? Absolutely. But that's not how the current NBA is played.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Wot TheGloveinRapsUniform said.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote coastal wrote: View Post
    I was asking the same thing. More time left in game than shot clock.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OTFP wrote: View Post
    Fuck you 6er crybabies

Pay attention to the game clock. You had to defend one more play.

All this don't rub salt in our woulds crap is little boy bullshit.
    Not so many years ago it was every Raptor crybaby whining about Gerald Green showboating at the end of a Celtic beating. The game was out of reach, Philly had conceded and the raps showed them up a bit. Not the end of the world but bad form. You can bet that'll make the pregame film session when we go down to Philly next week.
    "Analytics has a place. It can’t be the be all end all. I’m still trying to figure out when the Oakland Athletics won a championship with all the analytics they have."
    —Coach Hollins, who is a better basketball mind than you are.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    who cares

like honestly

i saw jose and landry run to the philly changeroom to apologize, what more does philly want?
    Thank you. Found it strange to see them go to visitors room. It bought it was carmelo Anthony, garnet all over again. Lol

Thread Information