My problem with Raptors broadcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    Swirsk was a fake. Devlin is much more outgoing with fans. Once the camera was off, Swirsk would not give you the time of day.

I don't want to see shtick. That is all Chuck was. He also ruined Roys unianimous nomination by throwing Andrea's name in there, it was embarrassing.

Then he bolts to the USA because the medical system is so much better, then after his wife leaves him comes grovelling for his job to BC. I don't like slicksters and Chuck was one.

(I did like his radio show though, thought that worked very very well)
    How do you know this??
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
      You cant have two play-by-play commentators on the same broadcast..
      i mean jack lol

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        There were very few people loving Swirsky while he was here. He was embarrassingly over-the-top with his calls, came up with lame nicknames for the most inconsequential players (since when does Lonny Baxter deserve a nickname?).
        I loved Swirsky and still do. He was over the top, and a total dork. But he came across as a genuinely huge fan of the raptors, and since he wasn't relied upon to do to analysis I was totally okay with. "Get out the Salami & Cheese" will always a have a small place in my heart.

Swirsk was a fake. Devlin is much more outgoing with fans. Once the camera was off, Swirsk would not give you the time of day.

I don't want to see shtick. That is all Chuck was. He also ruined Roys unianimous nomination by throwing Andrea's name in there, it was embarrassing.

Then he bolts to the USA because the medical system is so much better, then after his wife leaves him comes grovelling for his job to BC. I don't like slicksters and Chuck was one.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I emailed swirsky personally a year or so ago to say that I missed him and I appreciated his time here in Toronto and he took the time to email me back. I'm not in the media (unless posting here counts) and I certainly don't have any tv cameras, but he had the "time of day" to respond to me my email, which I wasn't expecting and appreciated.

Here's a quote for you:

Q: During your time in Toronto calling Raptors games, you became a Canadian citizen. This obviously shows how much you love the place, but what do you miss most about the city?

A: The mosaic atmosphere and the multicultural dimension of the city. The people are great. It’s an unbelievable place, and I spent 10 years there and loved it. As you say, I became a Canadian citizen, and I thought I’d spend the rest of my life there, but things come up that you don’t foresee, and so, we moved on.

The Raptors organization is first class, but we’re in Chicago now and making the most of it. The Bulls are very similar to the Raptors from the standpoint of great ownership. The men and women who work behind the scenes are all top class, and so I’m very thrilled to have been involved with two organisations that do it the right way.

Swirsky loved the team, loved toronto, and loved Canada, and anyone who sends out that much love earns my respect. Yes he was over the top to the point of annoyance or embarrassment, yes he was dork and yes he had googly-eyes . BUT he was OUR embarrassing googly-eyed dork. And I miss him, and I'd love to have him back.

Also just found out where the salami and cheese came from which I also think is cool story

Q: Our time’s nearly up so just one last question. You’re well known for your catch phrase, "bring out the salami and cheese." What was the inspiration behind it?

A: That’s the one that ended ball games when the Raptors won. About five or six years ago now, I got a handwritten letter from a guy who watches the Raptors games with his wife.

He said, 'You know Chuck, I get so excited, I can’t move away from the TV set. I’m starving, and I want to go in the refrigerator to make a sandwich, but I can’t because I don’t want to miss a play. So when you think the Raptors have won a game and it’s sealed, can you just let me know so I can go on my merry way and make a sandwich. Oh, by the way, I like salami and cheese.'

So the next game, the Raptors are up by 8-10 points with 30 seconds to go. I feel pretty confident they’re going to win the game, so I say, 'Get out the salami and cheese, mama, because this game is over!' The fans kind of bought into, and one thing led to the next.
        Swirsky=Beauty

PS - take my love for Swirsky, multiply it by the biggest number not yet named because it so ridiculously big and that is how much I dislike Leo Rautins.

Let me demonstrate with this hypothetical.

If I had to choose between this season + 2 more seasons of Bargnani, or this season + 10 more seasons of Leo Rautins as a broadcaster and I wasn't allowed to mute the sound on the broadcast if I wanted to watch a game, I'd pick BARGNANI. Luckily, in the real world I am allowed to use the mute button, so in the real world it's Bargnani who should be worried about being fired by me, but Leo, would it kill you to stop being such a giant douche?
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I'd love to see backboard cameras at the ACC!

Comment

robert parrish 00 wrote: View Post
            The only one I can't stand I Coach Leo. He is condescending and insults the viewer's knowledge. The raps are not a new franchise anymore and the viewers have been watching basketball for a while and don't need him telling us/coaching us the basic rules of basketball.

He also uses hindsight to always be right.
            * shot missed * "Oh he shouldn't have taken that shot."
            * shot hit from same spot, same player * "Perfect use of the offence"

Amazing how no one likes him and he still has a colour job. Can't we test drive someone else, or even better just let Jack handle all broadcasts?

As far as Chuck, "Salami and Cheese" was always the ultimate jinx. "NBA facial"-did he not know the other use of the word facial??!?! I may be the only one, but I prefer Devlin.
            Couldn't agree more with this post. Rautins motivates me to turn the sound off when watching Raptor's games.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I hate Rod Black much more than Matt/Jack/Leo combined.

He once referred to a reverse dunk as a "back-handed jam" :|
              Agreed, Rod BLack has to be the worst sports broadcaster in history. HOw he managed to get involved in the industry is beyond comprehension. HE must have friends in high places or something. He doesn't add a single bit of insight into any sport he covers.

And Leo, not much better. I really don't like his analysis, totally boring. Love Jack, and Matt is pretty good. Do miss Chuck tho!

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                Agreed, Rod BLack has to be the worst sports broadcaster in history. HOw he managed to get involved in the industry is beyond comprehension. HE must have friends in high places or something. He doesn't add a single bit of insight into any sport he covers.

And Leo, not much better. I really don't like his analysis, totally boring. Love Jack, and Matt is pretty good. Do miss Chuck tho!
                Indeed...Rod Black makes my skin crawl at this point...

Comment

Just to throw some input about this, because people don't seem to buy it....

Has anyone ever met Swirsky and thought he was friendly? I ran into him once waiting for the TTC. I was alone, and on my way to the gym. The train wasn't there and he wasn't doing anything. I went up to him, just to say "hey, I'm a big Raps fan and love the way you call games"...he was extremely dismissive and didn't shake my hand when I held it out. He was just like "thanks, preciate it" and walked away down the platform a bit until the train came. I know he could just not want to be bothered in public...but again, he was EXTREMELY dismissive and unfriendly, like I was a leper or something.

Now, I don't care either way if the broadcast dude is friendly or not to fans. And I did like Swirsky as a broadcaster, but it was pretty disappointing anyway, and I lost some respect for him. I just thought I'd throw that out there to see what others' experiences were like.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Apr 4, 2013, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Maybe he was having a bad day? you never know

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Just to throw some input about this, because people don't seem to buy it....

Has anyone ever met Swirsky and thought he was friendly? I ran into him once waiting for the TTC. I was alone, and on my way to the gym. The train wasn't there and he wasn't doing anything. I went up to him, just to say "hey, I'm a big Raps fan and love the way you call games"...he was extremely dismissive and didn't shake my hand when I held it out. He was just like "thanks, preciate it" and walked away down the platform a bit until the train came. I know he could just not want to be bothered in public...but again, he was EXTREMELY dismissive and unfriendly, like I was a leper or something.

Now, I don't care either way if the broadcast dude is friendly or not to fans. And I did like Swirsky as a broadcaster, but it was pretty disappointing anyway, and I lost some respect for him. I just thought I'd throw that out there to see what others' experiences were like.
                      I Lol'd

Its true I dont get why everyone is so obsessed with Swirski... he was goddam annoying say what you want about Matt and Leo you can at least talk to them if you ever see them, especially Matt pretty down to Earth dude ran into him and Leo after a game and we spoke no problem they know they are just commentators not Hollywood movie stars too important to speak with the common folk... The current iteration of Raps commentators are at least for the most part regular guys.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        Maybe he was having a bad day? you never know
                        Maybe. I mean, like I said, it seemed kind of randomly unfriendly, so it is definitely possible he was having a shit day. So I was wondering if others have similer, or better, stories.

*Like, when I started to lift my hand to shake his, he looked at it, turned and walked away.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          I Lol'd

Its true I dont get why everyone is so obsessed with Swirski... he was goddam annoying say what you want about Matt and Leo you can at least talk to them if you ever see them, especially Matt pretty down to Earth dude ran into him and Leo after a game and we spoke no problem they know they are just commentators not Hollywood movie stars too important to speak with the common folk... The current iteration of Raps commentators are at least for the most part regular guys.
                          I'm jealous some of you guys even the opportunity to run into commentators or players. Lucky!

Comment

Working...
                          X