Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why Shake things up now?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Depends on who you are offering the money to, if they will take it, if you have to overpay (history says yes), if they fill a position of need, and if you want that cap space to be the only tool for adding talent besides the $2.5M exception.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents

From the free agents, who is worth $10M? I think Millsap. But then what happens to ED/Amir? At SF, I don't see anyone worth $10M. I like Wright though. What about backup PG? If you go SG what happens to DD or Ross? C? Again, what about ED/Amir/ and now JV?
    All great points. I nothing says that we have to spend it all on one guy either. I don't know what the answer is, but don't feel that trading Jose is the only viable option as it is being presented by many. If we resign him to a reasonable contract, then we have our PG tandem intact. I don't care who starts, don't have any agendas regarding either PG, as long as we win I am happy with the tandem. With the remaining money and assests that you have outlined above we can potentially secure a player or players that fit better in to our system. I agree on the overpaying comment, but Gay is hugely overpaid, to me makes Demar's extension look pretty reasonable.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    ...I don't know what the answer is, but don't feel that trading Jose is the only viable option as it is being presented by many. If we resign him to a reasonable contract, then we have our PG tandem intact....
    I think most posters concern is that if Jose doesn't resign, then all you have is some cap space, some of which get's eaten up by escalating salaries currently on the team. Whereas, trading Jose to a playoff team in need will net a decent piece.

As has been pointed out by so many, it's all about the talent. Excellent coaching can carry you some distance, but without talented players, a team isn't going anywhere. And having financial flexibility only means something if you can either A: Attract free agent talent, or B: Be the facilitator in a multi-team trade that lands you a talented player. For the Raps, "A" hasn't been terribly effective and "B" hasn't occurred. Hence Matt's mantra, "bad contracts for picks."

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite honestly, against poorer teams, or teams with less talent than the Raptors, the team seems to be able to out-play. They have good overall players, but none are players that can take them over the hump.

That's why a guy like Gay, or even some game-impact/difference-makers are needed (Deng, J. Smith, Milsap).

Apparently, there was a deal of Derozan + (pick or player, can't remember), for James Harden. Offered by OKC.

I don't know. If it was true, I don't know how you don't accept. Unless the reason was the contract negotiations.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Quite honestly, against poorer teams, or teams with less talent than the Raptors, the team seems to be able to out-play. They have good overall players, but none are players that can take them over the hump.

That's why a guy like Gay, or even some game-impact/difference-makers are needed (Deng, J. Smith, Milsap).

Apparently, there was a deal of Derozan + (pick or player, can't remember), for James Harden. Offered by OKC.

I don't know. If it was true, I don't know how you don't accept. Unless the reason was the contract negotiations.
    I heard somewhere that Valanciunas was also part of the package OKC wanted for Harden. If true, it makes sense why Colangelo didn't bite.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information