The Raptors 2nd Unit & The Case For Bargnani As A 6th Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    I think that the notion that bargnani makes our team worse simply by being on the floor is far from being sound, I don't buy into the "addition by subtraction" argument as I stated in my initial post. Look at the game against the bucks yesterday, having a healthy andrea bargnani coming off the bench in this last game could've meant we win the game.

It is always much easier to make one person a scape goat, but I do not think the raptors problems are as simple as: "trade bargnani and we will become a good team".

I believe we will be a better team once he gets healthy and is playing 24+ min. a game. That being said, I would be open to trading him if a trade presents itself in which the team gets better, because we are receiving some talent in return.

Trade Bargnani and we can have closure to a forgettable era of Raptor basketball? Yes.

Trade Bargnani and we can never hear Casey say "he is our guy" or "come hell or high water" again? Yes.

Trade Bargnani and we can never watch other players held to a higher standard on the glass and defensive side of the ball? Yes.

Trade Bargnani and we can continue building towards the goal of a hard nosed, grind it out, defense first team? Yes.

Trade Bargnani and we no longer have to worry about if the next game is when he decides to utilize his talent and abilities? Yes.

But trade Bargnani and we will become a good team? No.

Comment

SuperRaptor has a good point. As much as I'd like to see Bargs gone, he could prove to be useful as a bench player with limited minutes. He just needs a coach that understands his game and knows when and how to use him

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
        SuperRaptor has a good point. As much as I'd like to see Bargs gone, he could prove to be useful as a bench player with limited minutes. He just needs a coach that understands his game and knows when and how to use him
        You mean like Alan Anderson?

What you described for Bargnani is what you would pay someone $2m or less... not $11M next season.

Bargnani is on his 3rd coach, all have had different styles, and all have had the same results. At some point, it isn't the coach.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          You mean like Alan Anderson?

What you described for Bargnani is what you would pay someone $2m or less... not $11M next season.

Bargnani is on his 3rd coach, all have had different styles, and all have had the same results. At some point, it isn't the coach.
          Trust me, I'm aware of the contract. What I meant by my comment was that he could be useful on a team (doesn't have to be Toronto). And Barg hasn't had a legitimate bench role since his rookie year. It's hard to determine how he would play with limited minutes off the bench. If he plays horrible, bench him. If he's playing with energy and effort, play him a bit more. But obviously he's overpaid for that kind of role. Blame BC for how he managed that situation

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
            Trust me, I'm aware of the contract. What I meant by my comment was that he could be useful on a team (doesn't have to be Toronto). And Barg hasn't had a legitimate bench role since his rookie year. It's hard to determine how he would play with limited minutes off the bench. If he plays horrible, bench him. If he's playing with energy and effort, play him a bit more. But obviously he's overpaid for that kind of role. Blame BC for how he managed the situation
            Bold 1: Hopefully not Toronto, but yes, I agree.

Bold 2: At $11M per season, I don't think this should be Toronto's goal to find out.

Bold 3: #tradeBargnani

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
              I think that the notion that bargnani makes our team worse simply by being on the floor is far from being sound, I don't buy into the "addition by subtraction" argument as I stated in my initial post. Look at the game against the bucks yesterday, having a healthy andrea bargnani coming off the bench in this last game could've meant we win the game.

It is always much easier to make one person a scape goat, but I do not think the raptors problems are as simple as: "trade bargnani and we will become a good team".

I believe we will be a better team once he gets healthy and is playing 24+ min. a game. That being said, I would be open to trading him if a trade presents itself in which the team gets better, because we are receiving some talent in return.
              Sorry, I wholeheartedly disagree. The Raptors will never be a "good" team with Bargnani as part of the rotation. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever. His weaknesses outweigh his strengths, which has been the case his entire career. Not sure why anyone would expect a change now.

As for blaming a single player, that's not what's happening here. The Raptors have a plethora of problems. But that doesn't mean we can't address the most obvious one.

Comment

Working...
              X