Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Kleiza the odd man out?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Kleiza the odd man out?

    I don't know much how to elaborate my opinion, but am I the only one who think that Linas Kleiza is not fitting the team anymore?

    I'm all in for trading Bargnani, but maybe it would be better for now to keep him, maybe as a backup. And I also would not be against trading Calderon, although he's playing really good for us right now, resulting in wins. But the point of this thread is not debating on Jose and Bargs, it is debating on Linas Kleiza.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kleiza will be the beneficiary of the Raptors amnesty, I believe. This assumes he picks up his $4.6M option next year, which I also believe is a given.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie Blasterfi9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vaughn
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yah i would rather keep that amnesty for bargs depending on how this year goes. If he works out as 6th man or we trade him, if either those happen than sure amnesty kleiza next year. 4.6M is too much for a streaky shooter on the end of the bench, too bad i rly had a lot of hope in kleiza thought he could rly help out. Still im sure he will easily find another home in the NBA or overseas. That being said i wonder what Jonas's opinion is in all this, kleiza is after all his mentor and a national hero in Lithuania.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blasterfi9 wrote: View Post
    Yah i would rather keep that amnesty for bargs depending on how this year goes. If he works out as 6th man or we trade him, if either those happen than sure amnesty kleiza next year. 4.6M is too much for a streaky shooter on the end of the bench, too bad i rly had a lot of hope in kleiza thought he could rly help out. Still im sure he will easily find another home in the NBA or overseas. That being said i wonder what Jonas's opinion is in all this, kleiza is after all his mentor and a national hero in Lithuania.
    Bargnani will return assets. I think too many people - myself included - are over the top on the Bargnani.

    I'm not sure where Kleiza is JV's mentor is coming from. If anyone is his mentor, I would guess it to be Sabonis.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kleiza is the number one amnesty candidate on the raptors. His play is too inconsistent, he has health issues, and his contract is fairly substantial.
    "Defense wins championships."

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blasterfi9 wrote: View Post
    Yah i would rather keep that amnesty for bargs depending on how this year goes. If he works out as 6th man or we trade him, if either those happen than sure amnesty kleiza next year. 4.6M is too much for a streaky shooter on the end of the bench, too bad i rly had a lot of hope in kleiza thought he could rly help out. Still im sure he will easily find another home in the NBA or overseas. That being said i wonder what Jonas's opinion is in all this, kleiza is after all his mentor and a national hero in Lithuania.

    As much as amnesty gives teams an opportunity to create cap space, keep in mind that teams are concerned about the amount payed to the amnestied player. In this case amnestying Bargnani would mean an expense of 20 mil. while amnestying Klieza(assuming he'll pick up his option) would mean 4.6 mil. I'm not saying that one of the two would be amnestied but I'm quite sure that the team is concerned about the cost.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kleiza's been the odd man out since he got here. Did he ever really fit? He's ok in a small role, but never able to translate his skills into success, and not good enough on D at either forward spot. He always seems to succeed in the international game. I almost hope he's amnestied, and hope he goes to Europe where he'd start and be a really good player.

    Bargs should really not be amnestied. He should be able to return something on the market.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Klieza is without a doubt the guy that shouldnt be here next season, injured like crazy has an attitude problem and extremely streaky, Anderson is our guy at the end of the bench if we let go of Pietrus and amnesty Klieza Raps have to pick up Kris Jospeh kid can ball.

    Klieza is only good when he plays for his country for some reason, regardless though he will be on a team when we drop him.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How about trying to trade him for a center like Johan Petro or Cole Aldrich.

    Valanciunas/Johnson/Gray/Petro
    Davis/Bargnani/Acy
    Fields/Anderson/Pietrus
    DeRozan/Ross
    Calderon/Lowry/Lucas

    Then play with this team (and this rotation) until the deadline and see.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Although I didn't have an issue with the signing at the time, with hindsight I'd say that Kleiza's contract had the lowest value return out of Amir, Jose, and possibly even bargnani, based on injuries and performance. So I definitely agree that he's the odd man out and a possible amnesty candidate.

    I could be wrong but I thought that if you amnesty a player and they get picked up by another team it reduces the amount you have to pay them. Am I right on this? If this is the case amnesty-ing bargnani wouldn't be quite as bad as it sounds since he will probably get picked up for around 6-8 mill a year.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    If this is the case amnesty-ing bargnani wouldn't be quite as bad as it sounds since he will probably get picked up for around 6-8 mill a year.
    No one would pay him 6-8 mill a year, because Bargnani wouldn't have any intention to ask that price. He has guaranteed 20 M per 2 years and he doesn't care who pays him that money... He could sign a 2 year contract with any team he wants with as low as possible salary to increase his new team's chances to be more competitive by spending extra money on other players. So, I think amnestying Bargnani would be really bad decision unless Raptors really knows how exactly they gonna use that money to improve the team.
    (Sorry for poor English )

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a confession to make: I LOVED Kleiza - especially during the summer when he was signed. He was an assassin in Denver off the bench. As of last season however, I just got frustrated. His inability to pass and more importantly, his ball-hogism is unbearable. He needs to simply be traded away or let go at some point. The identity of this team will determine his and Barg's future. I don't care what people say about the schedule, the players seems to be gelling at this point. It's not Casey's job to find room for them in the lineup. It's Colangelo's job to give them a one-way ticket out of town.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie knowledgep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    Kleiza is the number one amnesty candidate on the raptors. His play is too inconsistent, he has health issues, and his contract is fairly substantial.
    +1

    He's a waste of dollars...

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Kleiza's been the odd man out since he got here. Did he ever really fit? He's ok in a small role, but never able to translate his skills into success, and not good enough on D at either forward spot. He always seems to succeed in the international game. I almost hope he's amnestied, and hope he goes to Europe where he'd start and be a really good player.
    Agreed. Kleiza has never fit in here. This is a Colangelo blunder that doesn't receive as much vitriol as it deserves. A horrible miscalculation.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    Kleiza is the number one amnesty candidate on the raptors. His play is too inconsistent, he has health issues, and his contract is fairly substantial.
    I don't think there is a point to amnestying Kleiza unless there is a deal or free agent signing available for this team in the offseason. He'll almost definetely pick up his option, but his deal will be expiring. Which means it has some added value to a team trying to get under the cap or free up future space, and at worst is short term cap usage.

    The only real amnesty options that i think make sense for this team are Bargnani and Amir, and Amir is one of the rarities on this team who is earning their pay. Which leaves one option.......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •