Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery...

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery...

They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, and I say if our GM isn't smart enough to put a winning team together himself then he should imitate what other teams have done to find success. I'm currently on the band wagon with what Houston has done in putting Harden and Lin together. Houston has done (imo) and excellent job of recognizing that you have to have elite level player(s) to build around in order for success in the NBA. They did their best to try and attract Bosh, Melo and Dwight, and when that didn't work they put together a nice package for Harden and put a young and upcoming PG in Lin next to him.

It's time for BC to recognize that we have a roster full of capable parts, but not a single elite level player among them. He needs to take a look at the NBA landscape and find his Harden/Lin combination to build around and make a strong move towards acquiring those players. I'll go ahead and say that I would be happy with an Eric Bledsoe/Rudy Gay combination in our starting line up next season. If we can keep JV in the process then great, but I'm fine with giving up some of our young talent as well as future draft picks for those two.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I don't think the Lin/Harden pairing is a great one, I agree in theory. There isn't a single "all-NBA" calibre player on our roster. That needs to change before the Raptors ever become relevant.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

WHile I understand what you are saying, jeremy Lin is not aplyer you build around, the guy is not that good. He had a Bargnani like stretch of good games, but now that the legue has scouted him he has been average at best.
    12 ppg, 6.3 apg, 3 topg and shoots less tahn 28% from 3. Now Harden gets the ball in his hadns quite a bit so teh assist number could relfect that, but thses are not the number of a future NBA champion starting point guard that is a focal point of your offense.

I also think Harden is a way better talent than Gay, so we better get a guy who is better than Lin to pair with him....and Bledsoe is not that guy... we already have better talent than him (Bledsoe) on the roster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    WHile I understand what you are saying, jeremy Lin is not aplyer you build around, the guy is not that good. He had a Bargnani like stretch of good games, but now that the legue has scouted him he has been average at best.
    12 ppg, 6.3 apg, 3 topg and shoots less tahn 28% from 3. Now Harden gets the ball in his hadns quite a bit so teh assist number could relfect that, but thses are not the number of a future NBA champion starting point guard that is a focal point of your offense.

I also think Harden is a way better talent than Gay, so we better get a guy who is better than Lin to pair with him....and Bledsoe is not that guy... we already have better talent than him (Bledsoe) on the roster.
    You're right about Lin, and I should have said Harden with Lin and Ashik around him, but you get where I'm going. If you can't blow it up and build through the draft OKC style, then blow it up and build through trades like Houston.
    In my Gay and Bledsoe pairing it's Bledsoe that I think will be the star. I'm really excited about his game and I think he will break out in a starting role as Harden did this season. There is no comaring him with Bargnani because it took Bargs 6 or 7 years to show All Star talent, but Bledsoe is showing it in his 3rd season...as a back up...and he was injured for much of his second year I beleive. Needless to say I love Bledsoe's game and just have a really good feeling about him in starting role and given the reigns to his own team.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have zero confidence that b.c. can fix this debacle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    You're right about Lin, and I should have said Harden with Lin and Ashik around him, but you get where I'm going. If you can't blow it up and build through the draft OKC style, then blow it up and build through trades like Houston.
    In my Gay and Bledsoe pairing it's Bledsoe that I think will be the star. I'm really excited about his game and I think he will break out in a starting role as Harden did this season. There is no comaring him with Bargnani because it took Bargs 6 or 7 years to show All Star talent, but Bledsoe is showing it in his 3rd season...as a back up...and he was injured for much of his second year I beleive. Needless to say I love Bledsoe's game and just have a really good feeling about him in starting role and given the reigns to his own team.
    I am not so sold on Eric Bledsoe, he is showing that he can be a qualty resserve and fill a role, but stepping up to be a fulltime playmaker is a big jump.

I think we are one legit young allstar away from being a pretty good team. We have some very solid pieces moving forward in Val Ed and Ross, add in Demar, Amir, Calderon and Bargnani as assest that could net us the guy we need and things are not so dreary.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really just a gamble isn't it? There isn't a full proof plan to being successful in the NBA.