Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I intentionally ignored your reference to Memphis' team results because drawing conclusions on a single player based on his team's performance seems pretty illogical, doesn't it? "The Cavaliers are 9-31, therefore Kyrie Irving sucks". Sorry, that doesn't work for me.

As for the lack of all-star appearances, are you suggesting that Gay, as a primary option in the weak Eastern Conference isn't capable of earning an all-star nod?

Did I say Gay is an "elite" player? I simply said he'd be a big upgrade over any wing currently on our roster. "Elite" is reserved for LeBron, Durant, etc. Regardless, Gay has very few limitations in his game. He can beat his man off the dribble, he can back down defenders, he can run his man off screens, he can pass, he's got mid-range game, he's got outside game (although nobody's confusing him for a sniper), and he can defend.

Also, I never said I expect Gay to lead anyone to the "promise land" (you love the straw man, don't you?). I'm just looking to upgrade the talent on our roster, and Gay clearly does that.

And lastly, if we're talking about a Ross-for-Gay deal straight up, I wouldn't hesitate (ignoring the fact that such a trade would never work under the CBA). But if we're talking Jose, Ross, Valanciunas plus picks, yes, that's too rich for my blood because, as I clarified above, Gay isn't an "elite" player.

But he's a very good player who could help the Raptors immensely.
    Hey big brother, you forgot to mention that Gay is one of the best closers in the NBA, has the ability to take over late in games with crucial shots, something that the Raptors, sorely, sorely need.

Comment

what a condescending faggot p00ka is, the douchiness discredits whatever point he is trying to make. Or maybe he's doing it on purpose b/c he is a troll.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
        Hey big brother, you forgot to mention that Gay is one of the best closers in the NBA, has the ability to take over late in games with crucial shots, something that the Raptors, sorely, sorely need.
        Although Lowry looked decent taking over that role last night

Comment

Although Lowry looked decent taking over that role last night
          Beast!!!!

Problem was, the players around him had no clue how to react.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
            what a condescending faggot p00ka is, the douchiness discredits whatever point he is trying to make. Or maybe he's doing it on purpose b/c he is a troll.
            Isn't that too much?He clearly has an opinion and he is trying to back it up. I also don't think that Gay can single handedly lead the Raptors to playoff success but I do think that he would be an upgrade over any wing we have and definitely an upgrade over Derozan - mostly because of his ability to actually take over a game late in the fourth. I actually like Derozan and I wouldn't give up Jose,Derozan and Jonas/Ed/Amir for Gay. This price is too high.

Comment

footarez wrote: View Post
              Isn't that too much?He clearly has an opinion and he is trying to back it up. I also don't think that Gay can single handedly lead the Raptors to playoff success but I do think that he would be an upgrade over any wing we have and definitely an upgrade over Derozan - mostly because of his ability to actually take over a game late in the fourth. I actually like Derozan and I wouldn't give up Jose,Derozan and Jonas/Ed/Amir for Gay. This price is too high.
              If it was Jose, DeRozan and one of Amir or Ed would you do it? We have quality back ups for each of those guys with Lowry, Ross and the whichever one of Amir or Ed Mephis doesn't want and Gay would be filling the SF position which has been a position needing an upgrade for a while now. Plus to make salaries match I think Memphis would have to send someone else or a pick back if I'm not mistaken.

It would be a lot to give up, but considering we'd be holding onto our young players in Ross and JV and frankly there aren't any better players that I'm hearing rumors about being possibly traded to the Raptors I would make this deal.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                If it was Jose, DeRozan and one of Amir or Ed would you do it? We have quality back ups for each of those guys with Lowry, Ross and the whichever one of Amir or Ed Mephis doesn't want and Gay would be filling the SF position which has been a position needing an upgrade for a while now. Plus to make salaries match I think Memphis would have to send someone else or a pick back if I'm not mistaken.

It would be a lot to give up, but considering we'd be holding onto our young players in Ross and JV and frankly there aren't any better players that I'm hearing rumors about being possibly traded to the Raptors I would make this deal.
                Actually yes - I mean if the return is Gay + pick I would give up Jose,Derozan and Ed (I wouldn't give up Val or Amir). I have read too many trade proposals and scenarios that I don't remember if that actually works salary wise - but if it does I would be willing do make that trade because as mentioned above Gay is superior talent than what we have in all wings and we have Lowry and Amir.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                  I also read dougie's blog this morning. So I'll add my thought's minus the douchiness.

He was suggesting the trade involved: jose, ross, and one of davis and valanciunas. for gay.

I would do it.
                  I too would strongly consider Jose Calderon, Terrence Ross, and Ed Davis to be a fair price for Rudy Gay.

I would be very sad to see Jose go but frankly I don't see enough minutes at the point guard position for both him and Lowry. I am not sold on Lowry being the better of the two players right now but Kyle is younger and is less of a risk as to declining production in a 2 year projection.

Terrence Ross looks like he has a chance of becoming a good player but nothing indicates he will be something really special. I think there will be sufficient opportunities to pick up someone at near the same talent level.

I am not that big a fan of Ed Davis and I really don't see the defensive stud many see, far from it. On the other hand, he improved last season (finding open space in the offense) and this year (knocking shots from that open space) and that tells me something about his work ethics. But he's still very thin two seasons after lack of strength was identified as a problem... I like him as a 20-24 mpg player but more than that and I am beyond my comfort level.

Rudy Gay is a better player than any of the three players listed above. His Value Over Replacement is also higher than the 3 players listed above.

I hate his contract and while I am not a fan of Rudy Gay, I think it's a fair trade.

Comment

JV, Ross and Lowry are the only ones i wouldnt trade for Gay.

If they want Ross, Id make them take Bargnani too. Send a pick back or a young talent. Of course salaries should match.

Actually, edit that. Id trade Jose and Demar for Gay, then package Ross with Bargnani for an SG or PF. Id rather package Ed with Bargs but if no takers then Ross.
                    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                      I would be very sad to see Jose go but frankly I don't see enough minutes at the point guard position for both him and Lowry. I am not sold on Lowry being the better of the two players right now but Kyle is younger and is less of a risk as to declining production in a 2 year projection.
                      And let's not forget that Calderon happens to be playing the best ball of his career in a contract year. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                        JV, Ross and Lowry are the only ones i wouldnt trade for Gay.

If they want Ross, Id make them take Bargnani too. Send a pick back or a young talent. Of course salaries should match.

Actually, edit that. Id trade Jose and Demar for Gay, then package Ross with Bargnani for an SG or PF. Id rather package Ed with Bargs but if no takers then Ross.
                        Each team values their own talent differently but I would assume that Memphis is taking a page from OKC and is going to ask for the moon for Gay (deservedly or not).

Harden was traded for Martin (expiring contract), Lamb (rookie), two first rounders (from Toronto and Dallas) and a 2nd rounder (from Charlotte). Houston also got Aldrich, Hayward and Cook to make salaries match but that's a lot of assets going the other way.

If Memphis is looking for a similar value for Gay then you would have to consider Jose (expiring) for sure. Then either Ross or JV since they are the rooks (to mirror Lamb). Since the Raptors have no first rounder to offer they would have to give up then another rookie/young player (like Ed) and even then that might not be enough considering OKC got 2 first rounders and a rookie.

I don't think Gay is any where near as good as Harden but Memphis is going to be asking for a lot. If Bargnani was added to the table Memphis would get a pretty good laugh before they slam the phone.

Comment

And let's not forget that Calderon happens to be playing the best ball of his career in a contract year. I don't think that's a coincidence.
                          Jose is playing the best ball of his career? You could have fooled me as I thought he was playing better than this in 2006-07 through 2008-09.

The guy is actually pretty good.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                            Jose is playing the best ball of his career? You could have fooled me as I thought he was playing better than this in 2006-07 through 2008-09.

The guy is actually pretty good.
                            Not to mention, the LEAST likely guy to be proverbially "playing for a contract". That would be totally out of character.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Working...
                            X