Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time for the Raptors to stop being so nice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time for the Raptors to stop being so nice?

Good or bad I just want to credit the Glove for this thread idea. This thought popped up after reading his thread about J-Smoove's suspension.

I remember reading an article somewhere and the writer said that the Raptors have a history of bringing in only good character guys, and that a team as short on talent as the Raptors are sometimes need to take a chance on a talented player that may have a bit of a checkered past.

Melo and Z-Bo are examples of players whom might not be considered the best character guys in the league, but their talent is undeniable and they are the best players on their respective teams. And frankly their fans seem to cheer just as loudly for them as they would for Steve Novak or Rudy Gay...perhaps even louder since they carry and heir of superiority about them.

To a lesser extent when Houston was shopping Lowry around and Toronto started coming up as a possible suiter many people including myself were quick to hesitate over bringing in a guy whom had problems with his coach. But when healthy Lowry is dynamite and has been nothing but supportive of this team. I'm a bigger fan of his than I was prior to the trade and he's right up there as one of my currentl favorite Raptors.

My opinion is that I'm cheering for my team to win and not cheering about how great their character is. Thoughts?

Woohoo! Special mention!

Tough question. IMO, id stay away from these guys. I dont want to be put in a situation where I'll have to choose between a player and coach, a player and another player, or a player and management. Id probably take a kind of player like that as a role player, but as a core or franchise player, definitely not.

Melo and Z-Bo are quite opinionated, but i dont think they were as bad as Cousins, Sprewell or S-Jax. Name a problem player who eventually finished his career either as a respected player or as a HOFer. I cant think of one.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
      Woohoo! Special mention!

Name a problem player who eventually finished his career either as a respected player or as a HOFer. I cant think of one.
      Isn't Rodman in the hall.

Comment

robert parrish 00 wrote: View Post
        Isn't Rodman in the hall.
        I think Rodman would fit more in to the roll player type though. By roll player, I mean not a franchise changing type guy like Melo, cousins etc.

Comment

A starting lineup of

Derrick Cousins
          Michael Beasley
          Delonte West
          Royce White
          Stephon Marbury or Allen Iverson

would be worth its weight in (fool's) gold! We could always coax Spreewell out of retirement if we need a choker to keep these fine gentlemen in check!

Comment

Whether we like it or not, I don't think our GM does. So I don't see the Raptors getting a challenging type of player until he is gone. But if I was the GM I would take the gamble but only if the talent is worth it.

I would gamble on Cousins because he can be so dominant. I would not however gamble on a roll player since they are a dime a dozen. So no thanks to MWP or S-Jax.

If you have a franchise type of player that's a head case and isn't working out, you could still get your money's worth in a trade going the other way. Talent is worth a lot in this league.

Comment

Maybe Rasheed Wallace. I always thought he was a franchise guy during his detroit days.

Comment

Would not hesitate on J. Smith. Maybe a bit on Cousins but talent like that can change a teams fortunes around pretty quickly.

Comment

J Smoove should be number uno on raptors trade targets. Move bargs, jose and possibly amir and try to land him

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    J Smoove should be number uno on raptors trade targets. Move bargs, jose and possibly amir and try to land him
                    +1 and if he doesn't resign, we just shed a shot load of salary. Won't happen though. No chance.

Comment

Working...
                    X