• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umm can we get back to basketball?
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
      As this isn't really the thread for such a discussion I'll just mention a final few things. First just because Hitler was a fascist doesn't make fascists like Hitler or fascist ideals like Nazism. Most are much more subtle and much less extreme.

Secondly, 'traditional' facism is defined by small government but big military. Its corporations or industry tied to government that serve a large function of what governemnt otherwise would. If you only view facism as the 'nazism' we see in movies and on TV, then its easy to think 'oh the government was huge as it ran the entire nation and almost a continent', but that really wasn't and isn't the case. (alot of what is seen as government's doing was actually industry. Now industry was often acting on behalf and/or with the benifit of government. But it was more often than not at best indirect control by government, and only by a few in government)

Third I completely agree that just because some ideals or philosophies overlap or stem from comparable orgins doesn't mean they are all the same. (Communism and Fascism are typically seen as the far right and the far left of the political spectrum yet they overlap so amazingly if one didn't put a name on them they'd be seen as almost identical) It just goes to show how non-linear politics actually is. But that ofcourse doesn't mean that beliefs and philosophies need to overlap perfectly to be the same or similar or lead to the same end.

Finally, and to go full circle, this all just goes to show how 'non simplistic' the idea of my avatar is doesn't it?

(Less important note, ofcourse the photo is fake)
      About the bold: hey, I didn't bring your avatar to this thread.

Of course it's important that the photo is fake.

Facism is a term that ca be used to describe many things (and in a sense, as Orwell already said, this makes it meaningless). What you do here is use some of the things ascribed to fascism which have similarities with right wing ideas and boom, here we are, we can weaselword them.

"'traditional' facism is defined by small government but big military." I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong. First of all, traditional fascism wasn't 'defined' at all (and I probably shouldn't have used the term) and except for the big ones you mention (as 'non-traditional?') some of the other ones at that time weren't at all about a big military, see Portugal for example. But that's just a minor detail.

Non of it shows how, somehow, your avatar is non-simplistic. It's more simplistic and unintelligent than anything Palin herself has ever said and that ain't good. Considering all the deaths that have been brought upon my part of the world, in my country, in my town and in my family thanks to Fascism I find such a blantantly ignorant careless choice of avator, spread to attack an ordinary right wing politician, pretty appalling. But whatever, you don't exactly strike me as someone who is able to reflect on that.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        About the bold: hey, I didn't bring your avatar to this thread.

Of course it's important that the photo is fake.

Facism is a term that ca be used to describe many things (and in a sense, as Orwell already said, this makes it meaningless). What you do here is use some of the things ascribed to fascism which have similarities with right wing ideas and boom, here we are, we can weaselword them.

"'traditional' facism is defined by small government but big military." I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong. First of all, traditional fascism wasn't 'defined' at all (and I probably shouldn't have used the term) and except for the big ones you mention (as 'non-traditional?') some of the other ones at that time weren't at all about a big military, see Portugal for example. But that's just a minor detail.

Non of it shows how, somehow, your avatar is non-simplistic. It's more simplistic and unintelligent than anything Palin herself has ever said and that ain't good. Considering all the deaths that have been brought upon my part of the world, in my country, in my town and in my family thanks to Fascism I find such a blantantly ignorant careless choice of avator, spread to attack an ordinary right wing politician, pretty appalling. But whatever, you don't exactly strike me as someone who is able to reflect on that.
        No you just happened to bring it up, decided to insult myself and my opinion of it and then proceed to use complete inaccuracy and logical fallacies to support an erroneous and irrelevant claim (And exactly how does your belief that my avatar is 'simplistic' have anything to do with my original post about refs, losses and missed calls? And where did I claim 'ordinary right wing' politicians support it? Traditional fascism is indeed defined aswell as debated, and defined by the people who help institute it,)

On top of that, Europe isn't only your part of the world, and it didn't only happen in your country or your town and it didn't only happen to your family. I lost grand parents and relatives to it, my parents lived through it, my family was forced out because of it and relatives in Canada helped and died fighting it. My numerous papers and time researching and studying fascism through university and beyond I believe helped me not only reflect on it but understand it.

But I'm glad you feel you can somehow judge me based on what you think you know about me, brought about by a single photo I use as my avatar and your own narcissistic view that you know better because you say you do.

I'm pretty sure you just won the internet. Good work

Comment

So, how bout those Lakers and Raptors, eh?

Gray starts for Raps.

Gasol starts for Lakers.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            So, how bout those Lakers and Raptors, eh?

Gray starts for Raps.

Gasol starts for Lakers.
            Haha ya, this thread got a little out of hand. Should be a fun game today! I'd like to see Demar break out a little. He needs a good game.

I'd also like to see Lowry get the start.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Haha ya, this thread got a little out of hand. Should be a fun game today! I'd like to see Demar break out a little. He needs a good game.

I'd also like to see Lowry get the start.
              No worries I'm done. But nothing wrong with starting a Lakers game with a little fire. Plus Bargnani's coming back soon we all gotta get back into game shape don't we?

Comment

Got a bad feeling about this game, I'm already riled up even before we lose a twenty point lead.

Comment

The Lakers bigs SHOULD be able to destroy the Raps today. If they don't, they're doing something wrong ( which is actually likely considering their record)

Comment

I hope the raptors win but they probably wont for reasons out of my control so I wont care if they lose.

Comment

Comment

Pill wrote: View Post
                        I hope the raptors win but they probably wont for reasons out of my control so I wont care if they lose.
                        lol

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                          Ben Stiller in the house!

Comment

Rockin the turtleneck

Comment

lol
                              is that a starbucks coffee? That is just not fitting for a Canadian boy (but he is from the west coast so a little slack there)
                              Last edited by BasketballCrush; Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

My brother's a Lakers' fan so I really hope the Raptors can pull out a victory here!

Comment

Working...
                                X