Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: How does Colangelo have a job still?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    BC was given an extension not to win but to show progress in rebuilding the franchise. The first year was about changing the culture creating cap space and hopefully getting a high pick. The second(present) is about showing progress. As much as I like BC, if we finish the season with the present record, I don't mind him gone. The big question though is, after him what/who?
    Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Mon Jan 21st, 2013 at 02:29 AM.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I've ALWAYS been a BryCo supporter .. but now I'm thinking that it might just be best for the franchise to have someone else drive the car. While I'm still of the opinion that he's made more good moves than bad for this team over the last several years, his few bad moves are starting to out weigh the many good things he's done. When that balance starts to lean in the wrong direction, change is certainly required. But mid-season is NOT the time to do it.
    I will have to firmly disagree with you on this point. Reason being... because he knows he's about to get canned.

    He's going to screw us even more just to try to keep his job as he has shown in the past eg. trying to sign Nash (are we contending here?) and also signing Fields to a ridiculous contract to do so.

    Bottom line - we are not contending anytime soon and the more we think we are, the more we screw our future. How many more years do we have to suffer before the raps and leafs understand this concept?

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptorspoo2013 wrote: View Post
    He's going to screw us even more just to try to keep his job as he has shown in the past eg. trying to sign Nash (are we contending here?) and also signing Fields to a ridiculous contract to do so.
    As much as it may be right to make a change, there's absolutely no doubt that BC hasn't made any decision so he can keep his job. Drafting Jonas(not coming over until a year later) and Ross(projected to be picked at 15) is proof of that. Pursuing Nash was also in the interest of the team. While his(Nash) skill and experience would have helped the team immensely, being Canadian would have helped the marketing side. Again, BC may have failed as a GM but I don't doubt his character at all.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,738
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    As much as it may be right to make a change, there's absolutely no doubt that BC hasn't made any decision so he can keep his job. Drafting Jonas(not coming over until a year later) and Ross(projected to be picked at 15) is proof of that. Pursuing Nash was also in the interest of the team. While his(Nash) skill and experience would have helped the team immensely, being Canadian would have helped the marketing side. Again, BC may have failed as a GM but I don't doubt his character at all.
    I would correct the bolded by saying that pursuing Nash was in the interest of the team today, but not the best interest of the team's future. That could be interpreted as Colangelo putting his own interests over the team's interests.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I would correct the bolded by saying that pursuing Nash was in the interest of the team today, but not the best interest of the team's future. That could be interpreted as Colangelo putting his own interests over the team's interests.
    I'm not entirily sure if you're arguing this, it seems implicated, but I don't get the (often heard) idea that Colangelo would sacrifice the future for immediate wins because of his own interests (jobsecurity). I'd assume it would all be part of the strategy decided upon by owners and gm (+ staff) together with the owners' goals probably being leading in deciding the strategy eventually chosen. Sacrificing the future for immediate wins would only work if the owners want that as well. Colangelo's jobsecurity would be alligned with his results in executing the strategy whether it's focused on immediate wins or not.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I would correct the bolded by saying that pursuing Nash was in the interest of the team today, but not the best interest of the team's future. That could be interpreted as Colangelo putting his own interests over the team's interests.
    Hypothetically, 38 year old Nash is signed to a 3 year deal. Raptors make the play-offs every year. Nash leaves after 3 years but a 3 year playoff team becomes an attractive destination for a free agent as opposed to a non-playoff team. Looking at it this way, his acquisition would have been an investment for the future.

    Now maybe they don't make the play-offs at all in any of the 3 years. It doesn't change the fact that the above was the plan.

    No matter which GM, a decision is made based on a plan that may materialise or may not. The better GM's are the ones who's success' outweigh failures. History proves that Colangelo is one of them.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,738
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Hypothetically, 38 year old Nash is signed to a 3 year deal. Raptors make the play-offs every year. Nash leaves after 3 years but a 3 year playoff team becomes an attractive destination for a free agent as opposed to a non-playoff team. Looking at it this way, his acquisition would have been an investment for the future.

    Now maybe they don't make the play-offs at all in any of the 3 years. It doesn't change the fact that the above was the plan.

    No matter which GM, a decision is made based on a plan that may materialise or may not. The better GM's are the ones who's success' outweigh failures. History proves that Colangelo is one of them.
    Regarding the bolded, I would assume that free agents spend some time analyzing the roster before deciding which team to sign with. A playoff team which heavily relied on Nash to lead them to the playoffs, and no longer has Nash, wouldn't be any more/less attractive than the current Raptors.

    It would be like the Magic thinking they can attract noteworthy free agents after trading Howard (based on their previous playoff appearances). I don't think it works that way.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Regarding the bolded, I would assume that free agents spend some time analyzing the roster before deciding which team to sign with. A playoff team which heavily relied on Nash to lead them to the playoffs, and no longer has Nash, wouldn't be any more/less attractive than the current Raptors.

    It would be like the Magic thinking they can attract noteworthy free agents after trading Howard (based on their previous playoff appearances). I don't think it works that way.
    Your point is valid if you're comparing a franchise player with another. Losing a 41 year old PG who is a good role player and makes 9mil. a season is not the same as losing a young center piece franchise player who makes maximum money. One could safely assume that in Nash's 3 year tenure a few more valuable pieces would've been added. When he's done, it would be a matter of replacing him with a good, able PG 'cause the rest of the pieces are already in place.

    I'd agree with you if we were talking about Bosh. Even if we were, Howard still has the edge 'cause he's the better player. Raps. are in the process of building a balanced al-round team. Something like the Pacers or Nuggets and hopefully stumble into a Star.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Starter Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    938
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Hypothetically, 38 year old Nash is signed to a 3 year deal. Raptors make the play-offs every year. Nash leaves after 3 years but a 3 year playoff team becomes an attractive destination for a free agent as opposed to a non-playoff team. Looking at it this way, his acquisition would have been an investment for the future.

    Now maybe they don't make the play-offs at all in any of the 3 years. It doesn't change the fact that the above was the plan.

    No matter which GM, a decision is made based on a plan that may materialise or may not. The better GM's are the ones who's success' outweigh failures. History proves that Colangelo is one of them.
    You can't be talking about in Toronto...

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    You can't be talking about in Toronto...
    Unfortunately it has'nt happened in Toronto. Overall though his Resume is pretty good. That being said if Toronto decides not to bring him back I'd understand. After all there are only so many chances an employer can give.
    Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Mon Jan 21st, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we approach each season like it's a clean slate, then Colangelo will never be fired unless we go 0-82. There will always be some kind of some "win", some kind of improvement in which he can spin into what he would call progress. Remember, this guy is a master used car salesman. Want proof? Half of you guys believed we were heading to the playoffs this season!

    I agree that it's usually bad timing to fire a GM in the middle of the season and I'm basing this on a general principle that I believe in. However in this case I have no issue with it because the fear I have of Colangelo making things worse. Which is certainly possible in this case.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    If we approach each season like it's a clean slate, then Colangelo will never be fired unless we go 0-82. There will always be some kind of some "win", some kind of improvement in which he can spin into what he would call progress. Remember, this guy is a master used car salesman. Want proof? Half of you guys believed we were heading to the playoffs this season!

    I agree that it's usually bad timing to fire a GM in the middle of the season and I'm basing this on a general principle that I believe in. However in this case I have no issue with it because the fear I have of Colangelo making things worse. Which is certainly possible in this case.
    Isn't it depressing when you look at the headlines to see if the Raptors made any kind of transaction and then breath a sigh of relief when they didn't because Bryan could have done something really stupid.

    I am in total agreement.. this guy needs to go - sooner than later. I don't want to live in fear anymore.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    After watching yesterdays game against Miami and seeing how dynamic, explosive, athletic, agressive (insert description of your choice) and dialed in Ross was I wonder more and more what BC is doing? If you drafted him with the hopes he would turn into what he's showing signs that he can be then why the extension for DeMar? Or why so soon? And vice versa if you thought that DeMar was going to break out then why draft Ross? Clearly DD can't handle guarding or playing the SF position on a regular basis, and Ross is years away from having the frame/strength/experience to do it.

    I just don't see any logic to the moves Bryan is making.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    After watching yesterdays game against Miami and seeing how dynamic, explosive, athletic, agressive (insert description of your choice) and dialed in Ross was I wonder more and more what BC is doing? If you drafted him with the hopes he would turn into what he's showing signs that he can be then why the extension for DeMar? Or why so soon? And vice versa if you thought that DeMar was going to break out then why draft Ross? Clearly DD can't handle guarding or playing the SF position on a regular basis, and Ross is years away from having the frame/strength/experience to do it.

    I just don't see any logic to the moves Bryan is making.
    Is it the stacking he spoke of with regards to the abundance of PF's?

    Problem is the more desirable piece of the stack is the cheaper with more upside. I don't know but if it is stacking I think he built top on bottom.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If he isn't gone by the end of the season I will refuse to attend any raptors game next season(even if they magically start playing good basketball).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •