How does Colangelo have a job still?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Well the president of MLSE (current owners) said they want to see progress so I don't think he'll be gone as long as we keep playing well and improve over last season.
    +1 I agree!

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
      +1 I agree!
      Viva le BC revolution!

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
        Well the president of MLSE (current owners) said they want to see progress so I don't think he'll be gone as long as we keep playing well and improve over last season.
        Well progress can be very subjective and considering they are going on 5 years out of the playoffs with no draft pick this year and minimal off-season flexibility (at this point in time) I would disagree they are a) playing well and b) improving.

Comment

I think they are not going to change things in mid season. There is really no point. Or at least before the trade deadline. I also think that MLSE told BC to say out of coaching, and do his job. And now they are watching if he can do that. I also think that no trades might be in the cards, especially if Andrea doesn't come back before the trade deadline.

Comment

He may be gone before the Feb. 21st deadline to manoeuvre the necessary trades, specifically AB. I don't think BC has the cojones to pull it off himself. Stefanski takes over for the time being. This is just a guess on my part.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

BC was given an extension not to win but to show progress in rebuilding the franchise. The first year was about changing the culture creating cap space and hopefully getting a high pick. The second(present) is about showing progress. As much as I like BC, if we finish the season with the present record, I don't mind him gone. The big question though is, after him what/who?
              Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Mon Jan 21, 2013, 03:29 AM.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                I've ALWAYS been a BryCo supporter .. but now I'm thinking that it might just be best for the franchise to have someone else drive the car. While I'm still of the opinion that he's made more good moves than bad for this team over the last several years, his few bad moves are starting to out weigh the many good things he's done. When that balance starts to lean in the wrong direction, change is certainly required. But mid-season is NOT the time to do it.
                I will have to firmly disagree with you on this point. Reason being... because he knows he's about to get canned.

He's going to screw us even more just to try to keep his job as he has shown in the past eg. trying to sign Nash (are we contending here?) and also signing Fields to a ridiculous contract to do so.

Bottom line - we are not contending anytime soon and the more we think we are, the more we screw our future. How many more years do we have to suffer before the raps and leafs understand this concept?

Comment

raptorspoo2013 wrote: View Post
                  He's going to screw us even more just to try to keep his job as he has shown in the past eg. trying to sign Nash (are we contending here?) and also signing Fields to a ridiculous contract to do so.
                  As much as it may be right to make a change, there's absolutely no doubt that BC hasn't made any decision so he can keep his job. Drafting Jonas(not coming over until a year later) and Ross(projected to be picked at 15) is proof of that. Pursuing Nash was also in the interest of the team. While his(Nash) skill and experience would have helped the team immensely, being Canadian would have helped the marketing side. Again, BC may have failed as a GM but I don't doubt his character at all.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                    As much as it may be right to make a change, there's absolutely no doubt that BC hasn't made any decision so he can keep his job. Drafting Jonas(not coming over until a year later) and Ross(projected to be picked at 15) is proof of that. Pursuing Nash was also in the interest of the team. While his(Nash) skill and experience would have helped the team immensely, being Canadian would have helped the marketing side. Again, BC may have failed as a GM but I don't doubt his character at all.
                    I would correct the bolded by saying that pursuing Nash was in the interest of the team today, but not the best interest of the team's future. That could be interpreted as Colangelo putting his own interests over the team's interests.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I would correct the bolded by saying that pursuing Nash was in the interest of the team today, but not the best interest of the team's future. That could be interpreted as Colangelo putting his own interests over the team's interests.
                      I'm not entirily sure if you're arguing this, it seems implicated, but I don't get the (often heard) idea that Colangelo would sacrifice the future for immediate wins because of his own interests (jobsecurity). I'd assume it would all be part of the strategy decided upon by owners and gm (+ staff) together with the owners' goals probably being leading in deciding the strategy eventually chosen. Sacrificing the future for immediate wins would only work if the owners want that as well. Colangelo's jobsecurity would be alligned with his results in executing the strategy whether it's focused on immediate wins or not.

Comment

Hypothetically, 38 year old Nash is signed to a 3 year deal. Raptors make the play-offs every year. Nash leaves after 3 years but a 3 year playoff team becomes an attractive destination for a free agent as opposed to a non-playoff team. Looking at it this way, his acquisition would have been an investment for the future.

Now maybe they don't make the play-offs at all in any of the 3 years. It doesn't change the fact that the above was the plan.

No matter which GM, a decision is made based on a plan that may materialise or may not. The better GM's are the ones who's success' outweigh failures. History proves that Colangelo is one of them.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Hypothetically, 38 year old Nash is signed to a 3 year deal. Raptors make the play-offs every year. Nash leaves after 3 years but a 3 year playoff team becomes an attractive destination for a free agent as opposed to a non-playoff team. Looking at it this way, his acquisition would have been an investment for the future.

Now maybe they don't make the play-offs at all in any of the 3 years. It doesn't change the fact that the above was the plan.

No matter which GM, a decision is made based on a plan that may materialise or may not. The better GM's are the ones who's success' outweigh failures. History proves that Colangelo is one of them.
                          Regarding the bolded, I would assume that free agents spend some time analyzing the roster before deciding which team to sign with. A playoff team which heavily relied on Nash to lead them to the playoffs, and no longer has Nash, wouldn't be any more/less attractive than the current Raptors.

It would be like the Magic thinking they can attract noteworthy free agents after trading Howard (based on their previous playoff appearances). I don't think it works that way.

Comment

Regarding the bolded, I would assume that free agents spend some time analyzing the roster before deciding which team to sign with. A playoff team which heavily relied on Nash to lead them to the playoffs, and no longer has Nash, wouldn't be any more/less attractive than the current Raptors.

It would be like the Magic thinking they can attract noteworthy free agents after trading Howard (based on their previous playoff appearances). I don't think it works that way.
                            Your point is valid if you're comparing a franchise player with another. Losing a 41 year old PG who is a good role player and makes 9mil. a season is not the same as losing a young center piece franchise player who makes maximum money. One could safely assume that in Nash's 3 year tenure a few more valuable pieces would've been added. When he's done, it would be a matter of replacing him with a good, able PG 'cause the rest of the pieces are already in place.

I'd agree with you if we were talking about Bosh. Even if we were, Howard still has the edge 'cause he's the better player. Raps. are in the process of building a balanced al-round team. Something like the Pacers or Nuggets and hopefully stumble into a Star.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

You can't be talking about in Toronto...

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                                You can't be talking about in Toronto...
                                Unfortunately it has'nt happened in Toronto. Overall though his Resume is pretty good. That being said if Toronto decides not to bring him back I'd understand. After all there are only so many chances an employer can give.
                                Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:10 AM.
                                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X