Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrea to Bobcats?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Andrea to Bobcats?

Insider stuff

According to Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer, Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan has instructed his front office to be aggressive at the trade deadline.

"We’re very active – our owner wants us to be active,’’ team president Bob Higgins told the Observer in regard to the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

Specifically, Bonnell wrote that trades "could range from pursuing a star player, to adding a complementary big man, to facilitating some deal between other teams to acquire a future draft pick."

The Bobs are desperate for a big man, so they may take aim at some potential targets who may well be available like DeMarcus Cousins, Al Jefferson or Andrea Bargnani. The trouble is they don't have much in the way of assets beyond what is sure to be another high draft pick in this year's draft. Perhaps that would be enough to pry Bargnani away from the Toronto Raptors.
    YES PLEASE
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

jesus christ what a coup that would be
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Where do we sign ?

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Once primo pasta hits the supermarket shelves of Charlotte, you know that state will explode. What is Jordan waiting for?

Post Thanks / Like

To make salaries work we would either have to take back Tyrus Thomas or Ben Gordon....

Post Thanks / Like

Jordon owes us anyways after the Chandler debacle
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    To make salaries work we would either have to take back Tyrus Thomas or Ben Gordon....
    I'd take Gordon easily. He's a bench scorer that can actually....you know....score (no offense Alan Anderson), plus he's a $13 million expiring contract next year (assuming he picks up his player option).

I just don't trust Jordan's ability to close a deal
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

that's fine
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am ready to spin the bottle right now.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll take Tyrus and his terrible contract before Gordon. Gordon would more likely disrupt the chemistry of the bench, plus he would probably take minutes from Ross. We'd need a big body anyway with Barg leaving town

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see why the 'Cats would want Cousins because he's young, but Bargs or Jefferson don't make sense. They will probably just go into tank mode yet again and see if they can pick up some more young assets in the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    I'll take Tyrus and his terrible contract before Gordon. Gordon would more likely disrupt the chemistry of the bench, plus he would probably take minutes from Ross. We'd need a big body anyway with Barg leaving town
    If you're worried about messing up the chemistry, then Gordon > Thomas and it's not really that close. Gordon is overpaid and a gunner, but a good locker room guy by all accounts. Thomas is a malcontent. Besides, the real return here is that first round pick. I don't think either player would be part of the long term plan in Toronto; more or less just to make the salaries match. And if that's the case, Gordon seems like a better option since his contract expires 1 year before Thomas' does.

It would also give Toronto the option to flip Anderson for a second rounder if they chose to do so, and allow Gordon to fill his role.

Post Thanks / Like

i'd take gordon over tyrus. shorter contract, and truth be told, could still be useful.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    that's fine
    Is Tyrus Thomas an amnesty candidate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    Unfortunately, no. A traded player cannot be amnestied.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    For them - not for us if we traded for him.

Ben Gordon? Added to the pile of Demar - TRoss - Anderson - even Fields can play heavy SG minutes. Not an upgrade as a streaky volume scorer ... and leaving us with a remaining void at the big position on the roster.

Charlotte DOES have the 3rd worst record in the league right now, so I understand the salary absorb for a pick ... as players Thomas and Gordan are poor fits that are grossly overpaid.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

why take on contracts like those just to get a pick... this draft is weak..theres no reason to expect any star player to emerge from it..Im all for trading Bargs but a decent piece & a future 1st would be more wise IMO..that is if were looking for picks..Id be more willing to deal bargs for another youngish unproven NBA talent, like Derrick williams or something along those lines..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    why take on contracts like those just to get a pick...
    Probably because getting anything of value for Bargnani will be next to impossible. If I was a rival GM, I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for Bargnani....unless I can unload a bad contract in the process.

Gordon plus a top-5 pick (even though it's a weak draft) is a better scenario than sticking with Bargnani for 3 more years.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    why take on contracts like those just to get a pick... this draft is weak..theres no reason to expect any star player to emerge from it..Im all for trading Bargs but a decent piece & a future 1st would be more wise IMO..that is if were looking for picks..Id be more willing to deal bargs for another youngish unproven NBA talent, like Derrick williams or something along those lines..
    While the draft is viewed as weak, that doesn't mean there isn't top calibre potential in it. The only draft I can remember that didn't (arguably ofcourse) have a star in it was the 2000 draft. Even the notorious 2006 draft had Roy, Aldridge and Rondo. And while people can question their calibre (ie. superstar or not), I don't think anyone would question their overall talent.

Now given Colangelo's history I'm not sure if getting anything back matters. It could easily be turned into nothing.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Thread Information