No announcement yet.

Are the Raptors really that bad ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTS/G: 97.4 (12th of 30) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 99.3 (21st of 30)
    SRS: -2.38 (20th of 30) ▪ Pace: 90.0 (25th of 30)
    Off Rtg: 106.1 (12th of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 108.2 (26th of 30)
    Expected W-L: 18-23 (20th of 30)

i like casey but lately ive been thinking about the decisions he has made that have cost us games
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

why does he insist on having jose inbound the ball? "coaches don't win you games they only lose them"

Comment

since nobody wanted to do me the favor. I decided to look up our record when the starting sf scores more than 10 points. we are 3-4 when it happens

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Yes, we're that bad.

All those close losses happened because we're bad. Good teams have players who step up in crunch time and make plays. Good teams don't need to be playing at 100% efficiency to win games. Good teams find ways to win even when playing poorly.

As for Bargnani, the player we saw last year was an anomaly. We'll never see that player again. This I guarantee.
          I agree with everything you said here and it is very black and white but the reality.

I think i read that our record against above 500 teams is 1-16 (!!) that is really telling...

too many things need to go right for us to actually win the game. Whether we lose the game in the 1st quarter or in the last 2 minutes of a game ultimately is irrelevant

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
            why does he insist on having jose inbound the ball? "coaches don't win you games they only lose them"
            Wow this cant be Kinkz the Dribbles fan boy with a criticism of his hero i'm astonished......0.o
            then again your blaming Casey not Dribbles I guess you have taken a step at least

Comment

A few quick thoughts:

- At a first glance, one would think the Raptors are better than their record indicates because they are one of the most snakebitten teams when it comes to injury in the league.

- However, one of those injuries was to Bargnani, which cleared space for better players and actually improved the team.

- Then again, lack of continuity is a negative, and I suspect this has impacted the team up front (JV), at the wings (LF), and the point (KL and JC).

So overall, I suspect the record of the Raptors is roughly reflective of where they should be, or underperforming slightly: the worst average team, or the best bad team. Certainly ahead of train wrecks like the pre-Wall Wizards, but Milwaukee is just a better team top to bottom right now.

In a weird way, the Raptors have hope, however: some of the Raptors problems vanish in the next two years by standing around and doing nothing even without draft picks, so long as they don't re-sign overpriced players to overpriced contracts as those contracts expire.

Comment

Jkwasia wrote: View Post
                Wow this cant be Kinkz the Dribbles fan boy with a criticism of his hero i'm astonished......0.o
                then again your blaming Casey not Dribbles I guess you have taken a step at least
                i've been critical of jose before, guess you just don't read. btw, i'm a realist

Comment

I tend to think the team is being handled a certain way by the coaches and management because they do care about the longer term. Last season Casey focused on defense and it showed. But he practically ignored offense and that showed too. This season seems to be sort of the opposite. Casey is still preaching defense, but it seems he is actually trying to get the offense up to snuff, and he sort of is.

The team's defensive efficiency has dropped off a lot from last season, but I expect Casey figures he can get that back. This season is not that meaningful anyway, so why not use it to work on actual development instead of trying to win every game.

It looks to me like even some of Casey's bizarre late-game lineup choices might actually be explained by him feeling out certain players to see if they can handle certain roles in high pressure scenarios. I think he feels very secure in his job whatever the team's record ends up as this season.

Comment

The team does need a good closer though. Lowry and Calderon are sort of capable, but they are not so great at penetrating to the rim when the defense is desperate. It is fair to say the Raps MIGHT be just one player away (a strong, tall player) from being average among the good teams. That's a lot of progress in just the short time Casey has been coach!

Comment

We are not Triano bad. The game is not over at half time. We are very competitive.

If you want to go by our record, you can, but its not going to inspire the sort of fight taht will be required to beat this team.

At the end of the night, this is a very competitive team. Those of you guys that go by record, would love the Garbajosa team, I hated that team. Knew that it was just a regular season team, that could not stand up to the 15 other teams in the post season. This team on the other hand is a good defensive team, that I feel would hand the Garbajosa team its lunch, regardless of final record.

(as a fan, I had a great time, even during our close losses. We actually get to watch 4th quarter basketball with this team... the 4th quarter was a rare treat for us in the past, the game was usually out of hand by then, we got to see scrubs shine in the 4th.)
                      Last edited by BasketballCrush; Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:17 PM.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                        We are not Triano bad. The game is not over at half time. We are very competitive.

If you want to go by our record, you can, but its not going to inspire the sort of fight taht will be required to beat this team.

At the end of the night, this is a very competitive team. Those of you guys that go by record, would love the Garbajosa team, I hated that team. Knew that it was just a regular season team, that could not stand up to the 15 other teams in the post season. This team on the other hand is a good defensive team, that I feel would hand the Garbajosa team its lunch, regardless of final record.

(as a fan, I had a great time, even during our close losses. We actually get to watch 4th quarter basketball with this team... the 4th quarter was a rare treat for us in the past, the game was usually out of hand by then, we got to see scrubs shine in the 4th.)
                        Are you referring to the Garbojosa team of 2006-07? The same team that won a franchise-best 47 games? The same team that employed the last Raptor All-Star who demanded a double-team on every possession?

And you think this current squad could hand that team its "lunch"?

Comment

Exactly, that jump shooting, no defense playing, feed it to Bosh when you are stuck team. The team that Miki Moore had his spotlight against.

The team that did well, because most of their games were against a talentless division. The team were Rasho looked like he was again a top notch Center.

The team that allowed Vince Carter to dagger them at the ACC in front of all their fans.
                          Last edited by BasketballCrush; Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:45 PM.

Comment

p
                            Reinholt wrote: View Post
                            A few quick thoughts:

- At a first glance, one would think the Raptors are better than their record indicates because they are one of the most snakebitten teams when it comes to injury in the league.

- However, one of those injuries was to Bargnani, which cleared space for better players and actually improved the team.

- Then again, lack of continuity is a negative, and I suspect this has impacted the team up front (JV), at the wings (LF), and the point (KL and JC).

So overall, I suspect the record of the Raptors is roughly reflective of where they should be, or underperforming slightly: the worst average team, or the best bad team. Certainly ahead of train wrecks like the pre-Wall Wizards, but Milwaukee is just a better team top to bottom right now.

In a weird way, the Raptors have hope, however: some of the Raptors problems vanish in the next two years by standing around and doing nothing even without draft picks, so long as they don't re-sign overpriced players to overpriced contracts as those contracts expire.
                            sadly at this point in time that is the only thing we can be certain of with colangelo

#No3rdYearOption

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                              Exactly, that jump shooting, no defense playing, feed it to Bosh when you are stuck team. The team that Miki Moore had his spotlight against.

The team that did well, because most of their games were against a talentless division. The team were Rasho looked like he was again a top notch Center.
                              I agree that nobody should be confusing that team with a powerhouse, but this current squad is light years away from reaching that team's level of cohesion.

As for the weak division, fair enough (although I don't buy it). The 2006-07 Raptors beat teams they were supposed to beat. We can't say that about the 2012-13 Raptors.

I honestly can't see how these 2 teams are even comparable.

Comment

I don't think they are comparable at all. I think the 2006 team was incredibly soft.

Comment

Working...
                                X