Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If NOH can change name to Pelicans, Toronto should change our name to HUSKIES

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors is too badass to change
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I use to be 100% for Huskies. Kind of indifferent now.

Only way I'd go yes is if drastic sweeping changes occurred to coincide, like for example:

-New President and GM
    -trading away all the excess baggage of the miserable last 5 years
    -drafting a can't miss #1 like Wiggins

But all that is pretty unlikely so I'm happy to keep Raptors.... especially since Jurassic 4 is coming, AWESOME! What is old becomes new again!
    +1.

If you are going to make changes like this, change the entire identity of the team (personel, management, logo, name, etc.), and not just the name and jerseys.

Also, imagine if the Raps ever win a championship. The championship rings would be diamond dino-rings. Thats pretty awesome to me.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No. I don't want the name changed. Think that sort of move is weak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    I dont think those are all bad names. Pelicans is one of the worst in sports in my opinion. I understand the desire to rebrand for the current city, but it isn't necessary. LA kept the name Lakers and that worked out pretty well for them.
    I'm not a fan of the name 76ers, but the rest of the list I am ok with.
    Worked out pretty well for them? Do appealing team names make the players pay better?

Have you ever seen a lake in Los Angeles? :P I dont think any of their success would have been any different if they were named the Los Angeles Sulfur Dioxides.
    Last edited by Sig; Thu Jan 24th, 2013 at 01:08 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It will fit better when we're winning. Well actually it fits good right now seeing as we play as a team and tear teams apart outside to inside, just like how raptors hunt in packs and work together. Idk what i'm saying but i think its right
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why some people don't like the Raptors name - I think it's great. It's unique, cool, and its a friggin dinosaur. Not to mention that raptors or velociraptors are one of the few well known dinosaurs in pop culture.

Come on guys, cant just throw out 17 years for nothing

Post Thanks / Like

I say relocate the team to Calgary, where the name will have all the same positives it currently has, with the added benefit of being applicable to the city/region/province. I could possibly have some bias in my opinion though...
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jan 24th, 2013 at 01:24 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I say relocate the team to Calgary, where the name will have all the same positives it currently has, with the added benefit of being applicable to the city/region/province. I could possible have some bias in my opinion though...
    Calgary, where teams refuse to trade assets and commit to a true rebuild. Yup, sounds about right
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

...and a Raptor would kill a Pelican any day, just might get a little bothered by the Heat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Calgary, where teams refuse to trade assets and commit to a true rebuild. Yup, sounds about right
    Thankfully I'm a recent transplant, so I'm spared the pain of having to be a Flames fan... I think that's far worse than even being a Leafs fan!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the sentiment that if you're going to change, i want a complete whitewash, minus Casey and a few of the players.

a fresh, clean start could be a really good thing for this team, not to mention a talent infusion.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we change our name away from Raptors, then Kevin Durant will never be able to fulfill his childhood dreams.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

I am not so willing to throw the past away. I think its a move based on fan insecurity. Probably the worst way to improve the team.

Not to mention that I have been a fan since 95, its my past I would be changing, and I don't feel there is a need to do that.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Jan 24th, 2013 at 01:38 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    if we change our name away from raptors, then kevin durant will never be able to fulfill his childhood dreams.
    +1 lol

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Thankfully I'm a recent transplant, so I'm spared the pain of having to be a Flames fan... I think that's far worse than even being a Leafs fan!
    Nonsense. I am not in Toronto but am a Flames fan. Flames at least have won a cup in the last 25 years!
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie uke2themax's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Huskies...BTW, I get that the Raptors use the colour red to distinguish themselves as the only Canadian team, but, other than TFC all Toronto sports teams have traditionally used the colour blue..Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, Argonauts...So I'm all for having the blue & white Huskies jerseys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote uke2themax wrote: View Post
    +1 for Huskies...BTW, I get that the Raptors use the colour red to distinguish themselves as the only Canadian team, but, other than TFC all Toronto sports teams have traditionally used the colour blue..Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, Argonauts...So I'm all for having the blue & white Huskies jerseys
    I would prefer not having any association with the Leafs. If there was some way to sever ownership with them too, I'd be all for it
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

on the pelican topic..

seems there new logo leaked already

http://www.thescore.com/buzz/article...fore-unveiling

hate there name but the logo isnt half bad..could have been alot worse that is

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    Worked out pretty well for them? Do appealing team names make the players pay better?

Have you ever seen a lake in Los Angeles? :P I dont think any of their success would have been any different if they were named the Los Angeles Sulfur Dioxides.
    Sulfur Dioxides is still a better name than Pelicans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    on the pelican topic..

seems there new logo leaked already

http://www.thescore.com/buzz/article...fore-unveiling

hate there name but the logo isnt half bad..could have been alot worse that is
    Looks like something borrowed from a commercial pilot's uniform :|

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information