Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Bill Simmons: Fake Bosh Trade Proposal

  1. #1
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bill Simmons: Fake Bosh Trade Proposal

    Would you?

    Fake NBA trade: Noah, Deng + a top-7 protected 2010 No. 1 pick for Bosh. Which team says no?
    Source - Click here

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    839
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Would you?



    Source - Click here
    That's a pretty sweet offer to turn-down.

  3. #3
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
    That's a pretty sweet offer to turn-down.
    Yup, but considering how well Bosh has played so far this season, I'm thinking we can get more. And I don't I'm being greedy in saying that either.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bosh is off to a good start, I dunno about the trade..
    Onions baby, onions.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    839
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Toronto Forever, your sig should be:

    "Onions! Baby onions!" lol

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Definitely not. I'm only interested in trading Chris Bosh if the Raptors can acquire a comparable talent (All-NBA material) or a young prospect who's capable of developing into that caliber of a player.

    You don't give up a player of Bosh's caliber without a clear idea of how you can find a replacement player of comparable ability.

  7. #7
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dave wrote: View Post
    Definitely not. I'm only interested in trading Chris Bosh if the Raptors can acquire a comparable talent (All-NBA material) or a young prospect who's capable of developing into that caliber of a player.

    You don't give up a player of Bosh's caliber without a clear idea of how you can find a replacement player of comparable ability.
    You keep saying that like it's a realistic option. Why would anybody trade you their star for your star knowing that the Raptors are forced to deal or lose him for nothing.

    Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Vince Carter, Shaq, were all traded for lesser players, superstar for superstar trades just don't happen. If we're going to lose Bosh at the deadline it'll be for a package of players that could potentially turn out to be great, you're not going to get a Durant, Harris or anyone who is currently perceived to be a future star. We'll be taking on players from a lower tier hoping they can materialize quickly.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Ontario
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Honestly, as long as we don't get some guy who won't even report, I won't be too upset. I like that proposed trade - we get a good pick and two solid players (also Noah is my favourite non-Raptor).

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    You keep saying that like it's a realistic option. Why would anybody trade you their star for your star knowing that the Raptors are forced to deal or lose him for nothing.

    Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Vince Carter, Shaq, were all traded for lesser players, superstar for superstar trades just don't happen. If we're going to lose Bosh at the deadline it'll be for a package of players that could potentially turn out to be great, you're not going to get a Durant, Harris or anyone who is currently perceived to be a future star. We'll be taking on players from a lower tier hoping they can materialize quickly.
    The cap space is more valuable than an overpaid borderline All-Star.

    Taking on huge contracts for those type of players without having any elite talents alongside them will leave the club in mediocrity ... and stuck there for the duration of the contracts.

    Since the Raptors already have Calderon, Bargnani and Turkoglu on these types of deals ... a fourth or fourth+fifth contract of that magnitude wipes out the club's flexibility to add an elite talent either through free agency or the trade market (since none of the players are good enough to get an elite player in a trade). Furthermore, the club will be mediocre rather than bad, so their draft picks will be in the middle of the first round instead of high lottery further limiting the club's chances of acquiring an elite talent.

    The single worst thing the Raptors can do is trade Chris Bosh for an overpaid borderline All-Star.

  10. #10
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dave wrote: View Post
    The cap space is more valuable than an overpaid borderline All-Star.

    Taking on huge contracts for those type of players without having any elite talents alongside them will leave the club in mediocrity ... and stuck there for the duration of the contracts.

    Since the Raptors already have Calderon, Bargnani and Turkoglu on these types of deals ... a fourth or fourth+fifth contract of that magnitude wipes out the club's flexibility to add an elite talent either through free agency or the trade market (since none of the players are good enough to get an elite player in a trade). Furthermore, the club will be mediocre rather than bad, so their draft picks will be in the middle of the first round instead of high lottery further limiting the club's chances of acquiring an elite talent.

    The single worst thing the Raptors can do is trade Chris Bosh for an overpaid borderline All-Star.
    Yeah, it's called the Washington Wizards syndrome. I'm not debating that, but your expectations of what we could receive in a Bosh trade need to be checked because we're basically selling milk with a very short expiry date. And who's to say that if Bosh is traded one of Jose/Bargnani/Turk doesn't go along with him or in a separate deal to give the Raptors a defensive facelift and ease the tension on the cap?

    I don't believe that swapping players of the same caliber necessarily means that the team will not improve which is the crux of your argument. There are huge chemistry and compatibility issues that need to be considered and if there's a chance to get the 4th seed for a couple years running by improving the roster with different but similarly paid players, that's not a bad thing.

    After the Magic series, I was of the belief that it's better to truly suck for a couple years and add young talent to the roster through draft and/or a Bosh-trade instead of applying patches. I don't think we have that option anymore, that window is closed because we already have three overpaid borderline All-Stars on this team. And until Bosh's recent surge, I could've said we had 4.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Yeah, it's called the Washington Wizards syndrome. I'm not debating that, but your expectations of what we could receive in a Bosh trade need to be checked because we're basically selling milk with a very short expiry date. And who's to say that if Bosh is traded one of Jose/Bargnani/Turk doesn't go along with him or in a separate deal to give the Raptors a defensive facelift and ease the tension on the cap?

    I don't believe that swapping players of the same caliber necessarily means that the team will not improve which is the crux of your argument. There are huge chemistry and compatibility issues that need to be considered and if there's a chance to get the 4th seed for a couple years running by improving the roster with different but similarly paid players, that's not a bad thing.

    After the Magic series, I was of the belief that it's better to truly suck for a couple years and add young talent to the roster through draft and/or a Bosh-trade instead of applying patches. I don't think we have that option anymore, that window is closed because we already have three overpaid borderline All-Stars on this team. And until Bosh's recent surge, I could've said we had 4.
    Good topics there

    (1) The team could improve by trading Bosh for some assortment of quality players whilst receiving no elite talents in the short term. But the team would quickly be banging it's head against a ceiling and have no avenues for further improvement.

    As you said, they could build a side that competes for home court in the playoffs and is a threat to win a playoff series but it'll be extremely difficult for the club to take that next step and become a contender. Even an outside contender, not just a frontrunner.

    It's short term gain, long term pain ... if the Raptors fail to get those elite talents.

    (2) If Chris Bosh were to leave the club and if there was no comparable replacement arriving in his place ... then I'd trade at least two of Calderon/Turkoglu/Bargnani to free up more cap space and rebuild properly. Keeping those three guys and their contracts cuts off too many options for a club that will be in dire need of avenues for acquiring top talents.

    Side Note -- I'd also trade Bargnani regardless of whether Bosh stays or not. I'd be trying to trade him right now if I were Colangelo.

    (3) I don't think anyone will meet my requirements in a Chris Bosh trade proposal. His market value is far below his value as a player + those long term contracts for good players but not elite players are less valuable than the cap space he'd free up by leaving the club as a free agent this summer. Hence, I wouldn't trade him.

    There is one type of offer which I would be open too -- only if Bosh was a certainty to leave in the summer -- and that's acquiring a high lottery pick or some quality young prospect on a rookie scale contract + expiring contracts (no long term deals). But I'd need to be certain Bosh is leaving. I'd pass up on that opportunity (trade) for the chance to sign Bosh to a long term deal this summer.

  12. #12
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dig it Dave. Either re-sign him and go full force ahead or rebuild properly and trade the contracts that are only guarantee you mild mediocrity. I guess the difference between our thinking is that I still think it's possible that even if we don't get a player of Bosh's caliber in return, we can still compete at a high level if the pieces are right.

    I don't think it's as black and white as you're making. Trading Bosh does not imply a full rebuild to me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •