Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: There's a reason why DeRozan never gets any call from the officials

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    3,273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default There's a reason why DeRozan never gets any call from the officials

    And i'm glad that Matt and Jack finally pointed it out tonight.

    DeRozan fades all the time whenever he drives the ball avoiding contact, sometimes changing shot INSTEAD of just going straight to the basket HARD.

    That play late in the 4th was a great example. That was not a foul. And i'm glad that Matt and Jack finally tells it the way it is instead of constantly calling "no foul called" whenever DeRozan drives the ball.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What DeMar needs to get some acting lessons then he'll be just fine with drawing contact.

    Just look at Dwayne Wade and Paul Pierce, its like broadway out there when they're on the hardwood.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quite frankly, until he learns to actually be aggressive, Terrence Ross needs to start taking the minutes. He outplayed Derozan tonight, & he plays extremely hard.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've been saying this for a while now, and it's even clearer when you watch how Ross drives the ball in comparison

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And T-Ross as a rookie is already lifetimes ahead of Demar as a 3PT shooter. Casey loves Ross too - "shooters are born"
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've said it numerous times here, 4 things:

    1) Dunk everything - or at least try
    2) Cradle ball like a RB
    3) No hanging, sure you can, but in around 7fters with arms raised, what is that going to do for you?
    4) Shoot the ball, don't push it off the backboard.

    He has got better in 3 and 4 but unfortunately it has also coincided with not driving the ball at all of late.
    He has done 2 off and on this year.
    To say 1 is inconsistent is a gross understatement.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    honestly if its taken Jack this long to figure this out WHAT games has he been watching over the years...Demar has always done this...

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Very true about Demar. It's funny, because it wasn't a problem in his first couple of years. In fact, I remember being constantly frustrated by his straight drives to the basket where the D would always be ready for him. It's like instead of learning to finish through that (go up stronger, develop a change of speed or direction or something on his drive), he just started trying to finish crazy shots around the D...weird layups and fadeaways.

    As for T-Ross...people need to chill out. Every time he has a good game, people are calling for him to play 40 minutes a night. He still has a lot of work to do, and he'll get there. His game looks a bit smoother than DD as a rookie, but apart from shooting, he has just as much work to do on the rest of his game, especially dribbling and passing.
    It's extra funny when you talk about driving the basket. Almost every single time Ross converts at the rim he's wide open. Last night was the first time I saw him actually complete a dribble drive move to the rim in the halfcourt (and the D was far from set). And other than that, the only 2 other nasty dunks that actually had obstacles were the putback over Reddick, and the one that didn't count over Jason Smith(?) against NOH because Amir got called for a foul.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Now as for minutes.....Ross needs to take some of AA's minutes. Casey needs to stop this love affair with AA. AA is a very valuable 4th wing, D and 3 pt shooting specialist, who it's fine to see make smart plays like pump fake and drive or take a shorter jumper....
    If you hate Demar, that's fine, to each they're own, but really there is no reason that with the team built as it is and Ross looking comfortable that Ross shouldn't be averaging 25-30 minutes a night. Basically, AA's and Ross' minutes should literally be flipped around, and Fields' time is more or less where it should be already. Especially if you consider Ross' strengths are more or less the same as AA's (shooting and D).

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Very true about Demar. It's funny, because it wasn't a problem in his first couple of years. In fact, I remember being constantly frustrated by his straight drives to the basket where the D would always be ready for him. It's like instead of learning to finish through that (go up stronger, develop a change of speed or direction or something on his drive), he just started trying to finish crazy shots around the D...weird layups and fadeaways.

    As for T-Ross...people need to chill out. Every time he has a good game, people are calling for him to play 40 minutes a night. He still has a lot of work to do, and he'll get there. His game looks a bit smoother than DD as a rookie, but apart from shooting, he has just as much work to do on the rest of his game, especially dribbling and passing.
    It's extra funny when you talk about driving the basket. Almost every single time Ross converts at the rim he's wide open. Last night was the first time I saw him actually complete a dribble drive move to the rim in the halfcourt (and the D was far from set). And other than that, the only 2 other nasty dunks that actually had obstacles were the putback over Reddick, and the one that didn't count over Jason Smith(?) against NOH because Amir got called for a foul.
    Agree. Plus the fact that teams are not paying that much attention to Ross right now since he's not a focal point of the offense. Once he gets 30+ minutes, teams are going to scout him and for sure he's going to have to adjust his game to deal with the defense. I dont know if he's ready for that yet. Or worse, he'll turn into Demar trying to protect his body until he gets a fat contract.

    Like what white said, Demar was pretty much the same when he was a rookie and soph. he kept attacking the rim then one day he woke up with bruises all over his body and started taking jumpshots instead. and thats where he is now. sad part is, ross sees how demar plays and most likely he'll realize hey, this is how i protect my body and possibly get a 4 yr 40mil contract. its a cycle.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I've said it numerous times here, 4 things:

    1) Dunk everything - or at least try
    2) Cradle ball like a RB
    3) No hanging, sure you can, but in around 7fters with arms raised, what is that going to do for you?
    4) Shoot the ball, don't push it off the backboard.

    He has got better in 3 and 4 but unfortunately it has also coincided with not driving the ball at all of late.
    He has done 2 off and on this year.
    To say 1 is inconsistent is a gross understatement.
    Is your "blow it up" thread still active? i feel the need to post there, hehehe

  12. #12
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    And i'm glad that Matt and Jack finally pointed it out tonight.

    DeRozan fades all the time whenever he drives the ball avoiding contact, sometimes changing shot INSTEAD of just going straight to the basket HARD.

    That play late in the 4th was a great example. That was not a foul. And i'm glad that Matt and Jack finally tells it the way it is instead of constantly calling "no foul called" whenever DeRozan drives the ball.
    I was shouting "YES! YES! YES! FINALLY!!!" at my TV when DeRozan went to the rim weakly at the end of the 4th quarter and Jack said "You have to take it at the guy and dunk it on his head!"

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Is your "blow it up" thread still active? i feel the need to post there, hehehe
    Seriously... at this point, despite the recent improvements, I would be 100% behind a sped-up re-build/re-tooling using everybody on the roster other than Valanciunas, Ross and Davis.

    Bargnani - I've supported him for years, but he and the Raptors need a divorce

    DeRozan - has shown no real, sustained improvements in his drive finishing, 3pt shooting or defense

    Calderon - 31 year old on an expiring contract; asset management (try to sign him in the offseason)

    Lowry - scoring & defense were both overrated; he has way more value before he signs a new deal

    Anderson - 30 year old sharpshooter on min-contract could help playoff team; not in long-term plans

    Pietrus - see Anderson

    Kleiza - if not traded, can you say "amnesty"?

    Gray/Lucas/Acy - filler

    Fields - could be a good glue guy on an improved team, plus his contract & injury concern likely make him untradeable

    Amir - still think Davis makes him redundant, but a PF rotation of Davis/Amir on an improved team wouldn't be horrible
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jan 24th, 2013 at 10:55 AM.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I was shouting "YES! YES! YES! FINALLY!!!" at my TV when DeRozan went to the rim weakly at the end of the 4th quarter and Jack said "You have to take it at the guy and dunk it on his head!"



    Seriously... at this point, despite the recent improvements, I would be 100% behind a sped-up re-build/re-tooling using everybody on the roster other than Valanciunas, Ross and Davis.

    Bargnani - I've supported him for years, but he and the Raptors need a divorce

    DeRozan - has shown no real, sustained improvements in his drive finishing, 3pt shooting or defense

    Calderon - 31 year old on an expiring contract; asset management (try to sign him in the offseason)

    Lowry - scoring & defense were both overrated; he has way more value before he signs a new deal

    Anderson - 30 year old sharpshooter on min-contract could help playoff team; not in long-term plans

    Pietrus - see Anderson

    Kleiza - if not traded, can you say "amnesty"?

    Gray/Lucas/Acy - filler

    Fields - could be a good glue guy on an improved team, plus his contract & injury concern likely make him untradeable

    Amir - still think Davis makes him redundant, but a PF rotation of Davis/Amir on an improved team wouldn't be horrible
    I agree with everything, but I'd also be inclined to part ways with Davis. I think he's playing above his abilities right now, and putting up good numbers because of how thin our front court rotation is. His stock seems to be higher than it's ever been, which makes it the perfect time to cash in.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  14. #14
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I agree with everything, but I'd also be inclined to part ways with Davis. I think he's playing above his abilities right now, and putting up good numbers because of how thin our front court rotation is. His stock seems to be higher than it's ever been, which makes it the perfect time to cash in.
    Very true. I just think the expected return for him would be much higher than the rest of the players, so he's sort of on a tier between Valanciunas/Ross and the rest.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I was shouting "YES! YES! YES! FINALLY!!!" at my TV when DeRozan went to the rim weakly at the end of the 4th quarter and Jack said "You have to take it at the guy and dunk it on his head!"



    Seriously... at this point, despite the recent improvements, I would be 100% behind a sped-up re-build/re-tooling using everybody on the roster other than Valanciunas, Ross and Davis.

    Bargnani - I've supported him for years, but he and the Raptors need a divorce

    DeRozan - has shown no real, sustained improvements in his drive finishing, 3pt shooting or defense

    Calderon - 31 year old on an expiring contract; asset management (try to sign him in the offseason)

    Lowry - scoring & defense were both overrated; he has way more value before he signs a new deal

    Anderson - 30 year old sharpshooter on min-contract could help playoff team; not in long-term plans

    Pietrus - see Anderson

    Kleiza - if not traded, can you say "amnesty"?

    Gray/Lucas/Acy - filler

    Fields - could be a good glue guy on an improved team, plus his contract & injury concern likely make him untradeable

    Amir - still think Davis makes him redundant, but a PF rotation of Davis/Amir on an improved team wouldn't be horrible
    I was just kidding. i dont think i can handle another full on rebuild. Id keep JV, Ross as well. Davis, depends. The way he's improved this year, i think he can still improve further and add more to his game. I used to think his ceiling was Amir, but now, he may potentially be somewhat of a Duncan type player. Lanky, with a good perimeter shot but also slithery down low. I said depends because if he's not playing alongside a strong SF who can pull the double team away from him, i dont think it will work.

    Im still hoping Lowry rounds up to form as well. He gets a free pass this year being injured most of last year and coming to a struggling team with no roles defined and no identity is a difficult situation to adjust to. Plus the fact that he's new, and he's dealing with 4-5 players who are new to the team as well. Ill save my judgement for next year.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I was just kidding. i dont think i can handle another full on rebuild. Id keep JV, Ross as well. Davis, depends. The way he's improved this year, i think he can still improve further and add more to his game. I used to think his ceiling was Amir, but now, he may potentially be somewhat of a Duncan type player. Lanky, with a good perimeter shot but also slithery down low. I said depends because if he's not playing alongside a strong SF who can pull the double team away from him, i dont think it will work.

    Im still hoping Lowry rounds up to form as well. He gets a free pass this year being injured most of last year and coming to a struggling team with no roles defined and no identity is a difficult situation to adjust to. Plus the fact that he's new, and he's dealing with 4-5 players who are new to the team as well. Ill save my judgement for next year.
    Next year might be too late for Lowry. He'd be more valuable now because he still has 1.5 years left on a cheap contract.

    Come next year's trade deadline, Lowry's a few months away from a big pay raise.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Next year might be too late for Lowry. He'd be more valuable now because he still has 1.5 years left on a cheap contract.

    Come next year's trade deadline, Lowry's a few months away from a big pay raise.
    You think they should get rid of him now?

  18. #18
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    You think they should get rid of him now?
    I would at least explore the option and find out what his trade value is, both alone and as part of a package. His defense hasn't looked much better than Calderon's, his offense has been inconsistent and his attitude at times has appeared to be Bayless-esque. Plus, he's a shoot-first PG, which isn't my personal prefence in a starting PG, so I'm biased right off the bat.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    You think they should get rid of him now?
    No, no....just acknowledging that we might get better pieces for him today, than 12 months from now.

    Personally, I'm torn on Lowry. When he's played well, he's played REALLY well (but as a #1 option in an Allen Iverson type role). I'm not sure if that's the type of PG I want when building a team from scratch.

    On the other hand, he pretty much had to take on that Iverson role since we have very few other weapons on this roster.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    You think they should get rid of him now?
    Like anyone on any team that depends on the return.

    There are going to be some decent experienced PG's on the market this summer that should be available for fairly cheap (assuming BC is not handing out the contract). Then it should be considered that there are 3-4 promising PG's in the draft.

    Outside of JV and Ross, Lowry is the only current Raptor to give me pause on what to do with.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •