Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Last night's loss was what we needed.

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    726
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Last night's loss was what we needed.

    I know we blew a 15 point lead, but they are the champs and knows how to put the foot on the gas when needed. But the fact that we played so hard opened a lot of eyes about our young guys. Especially Ross.http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...ors-miami-heat
    People actually too notice that the guys played very well together.

    Can't help but think though that if that foul by Johnson didn't happen in the final minute, we might have been able to handle on for the win.

    Not too often we can call a loss a good loss, but last night was one in my opinion.

    Great effort guys.

    PS sorry about title weneeded should be we needed. Cannot figure out how to edit title after submitting.
    Last edited by Stahmenah_Vybz; Thu Jan 24th, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good effort, no doubt. But confused why you think we "needed" this loss.

    I would think a win would've gone further in opening ESPN's eyes, than a close loss.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would think a win would've gone further in opening ESPN's eyes, than a close loss.[/QUOTE]

    I'm not sure that it would have. When teams with losing records beat Elite teams it seems that the media play it as a fluke and that the elite team had an off night. By hanging with the Heat last night and going blow for blow at the end of the game, it showed our abilities to match up with an elite team who was playing at an elite level.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure that it would have. When teams with losing records beat Elite teams it seems that the media play it as a fluke and that the elite team had an off night. By hanging with the Heat last night and going blow for blow at the end of the game, it showed our abilities to match up with an elite team who was playing at an elite level.
    I don't agree, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

    However, that still doesn't explain why we "needed" this loss. Is ESPN's opinion more important than wins?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  5. #5
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    I know we blew a 15 point lead, but they are the champs and knows how to put the foot on the gas when needed. But the fact that we played so hard opened a lot of eyes about our young guys. Especially Ross.http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...ors-miami-heat
    People actually too notice that the guys played very well together.

    Can't help but think though that if that foul by Johnson didn't happen in the final minute, we might have been able to handle on for the win.

    Not too often we can call a loss a good loss, but last night was one in my opinion.

    Great effort guys.

    PS sorry about title weneeded should be we needed. Cannot figure out how to edit title after submitting.
    I don't believe in "good losses". For all the bolded statements, just think how much more emphasized those points would have been if the Raps had come together and actually pulled out a win over the defending champs. I think if all that effort and team-first play had resulted in a W, it would have done wonders for this team on and off the court, head and shoulders above what a hard-fought loss did.


    PS: I fixed the title for you.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure that it would have. When teams with losing records beat Elite teams it seems that the media play it as a fluke and that the elite team had an off night.By hanging with the Heat last night and going blow for blow at the end of the game, it showed our abilities to match up with an elite team who was playing at an elite level.
    I dont think the media would have said the Heat played a bad game, or had an off night if the Raps pulled it out in OT. Thats the thing, the Heat played pretty damn well (their defense was shady but it has been inconsistent all year). If the Raps had won, they would have beat the Heat playing a high calibre level of basketball. I think that a win would have been far more important in "opening ESPN's eyes" for this reason. Both teams were playing well, not just the Heat having an off night (which was the case for their loss against the Wiz, if memory serves me correctly).

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    726
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I don't believe in "good losses". For all the bolded statements, just think how much more emphasized those points would have been if the Raps had come together and actually pulled out a win over the defending champs. I think if all that effort and team-first play had resulted in a W, it would have done wonders for this team on and off the court, head and shoulders above what a hard-fought loss did.


    PS: I fixed the title for you.
    Thank you very much for fixing that title for me.

    I agree with you on the statements you highlighted. However, my point with the title was to point out that even though the win would have made everyone, especially the raps fan happy and excited, the loss, as strange as it may sound actually in my opinion did more for us because it showed that we still have a lot to learn in how to finish off games. And most importantly, it showed just how much Casey is lacking when it comes to matching superior coaches move to move.

    Every loss that you take, especially a close loss against a top team like the Heat, should make the guys even more hungry and determined.

    For some strange reason, most fighter who lose a close match usually go back to the tapes and try to figure out where things went wrong and what they could have done differently. When they win, they don't go back to the tapes as often because they are riding with confidence and forget about the basics.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I could of done without Jose and LBJ holding hands.

    Body Language Exercise: Spot the alpha

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know. I love LeBron's sportsmanship. So rare in a top player, let alone the best player in a generation. He really is the kind of guy where watching him play and such, he clearly feels how important the game is, and that it's bigger than him.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As for the game....we needed might be a bit over the top. It was probably our best loss of the season though, I guess, for whatever that's worth. I mean, it might be good for the confidence of a young guy like Ross, but really who knows if it'll have any impact on the team going forward. Hope so, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a dud out in Orlando tonight.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie robert parrish 00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I don't know. I love LeBron's sportsmanship. So rare in a top player, let alone the best player in a generation. He really is the kind of guy where watching him play and such, he clearly feels how important the game is, and that it's bigger than him.
    I think whining to the refs every drive is poor sportsmanship.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Disagree. Media would have been all over the Heat for their poor first half. Don't think for one second a Raps win would've given them any recognition. This would've been all about the Heat loss, not the Raps win. Anyhow, one win or close loss against a great team means nothing. Nobody will care that the Wiz beat the heat when they finish dead last in the league.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star mike, prague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote robert parrish 00 wrote: View Post
    I think whining to the refs every drive is poor sportsmanship.
    Precisely. He is also a bit of a flopper, but not as much as DWade though. But other than that the level of sportsmanship is pretty high when it comes to LBJ

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star mike, prague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    I could of done without Jose and LBJ holding hands.

    Body Language Exercise: Spot the alpha

    Jose agreeing with LBJ that he'll come over to the Heat in the summer.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    I know we blew a 15 point lead, but they are the champs and knows how to put the foot on the gas when needed. But the fact that we played so hard opened a lot of eyes about our young guys. Especially Ross.http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...ors-miami-heat
    People actually too notice that the guys played very well together.

    Can't help but think though that if that foul by Johnson didn't happen in the final minute, we might have been able to handle on for the win.

    Not too often we can call a loss a good loss, but last night was one in my opinion.

    Great effort guys.

    PS sorry about title weneeded should be we needed. Cannot figure out how to edit title after submitting.
    I hate when people say this, putting the outcome of the game on one specific play. Hey, if the Big Bang didn't happen, we all wouldn't be here.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I hate when people say this, putting the outcome of the game on one specific play. Hey, if the Big Bang didn't happen, we all wouldn't be here.
    lol, but isn't this true?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was just thinking a similar thing. Not that this loss was one they "needed" but it was admirable none the less. Sure they blew a lead but they built one up again. Sure they got blown out in the 3rd quarter but they won the 4th quarter. Sure miami has lost games to washington and they were on a 5 day break but I don't buy that. They may sleep on washington or detroit, and we may not be cleveland but the heat must have been at least a bit conscious that they were playing Bosh's old team. If the heat point to their big third quarter as evidence that it took them a while to find their legs, then how did we outdo them in the 4th. That's what I was proud to see. When I saw the second lead slip away at the end of the third, I thought the raps would fade away. Good on them for not doing that.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just don't get it. Last year we wanted as high a draft pick as possible, but most people wanted the team to win every meaningless game with a roster that would be significantly turned over in the offseason. Now a "good" loss is being applauded in the middle of a season in which most people were targeting playoffs as a real, attainable goal??? I think I woke up in bizzaro world, Jerry!

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Optimism for the sake of optimism. The years and years of losing has seriously affected people's point of reference
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    lol, but isn't this true?
    Just a theory

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •