Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Who wants Jose

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,851
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Who wants Jose

    If you look around the league, it's not easy to find the perfect trade fit for Toronto's veteran point guard Jose Calderon. As a player in the final year of a deal that pays him $10.56 million this season, you have to figure that any trade partner would likely have to fit the following criteria:
    A contending team that's willing to roll the dice on what could be only a few month's worth of Calderon.
    A team with an expendable player, preferably a SG, SF or C, who they could offer as a centerpiece in return.

    Lets take a look at some possibilities, shall we?

    Indiana's Danny Granger is rumored to be on the block. The Pacers have played well without him this season, he's due to earn over $14 million next season, and Paul George's emergence makes him more expendable, but Indy would probably want more than an expiring contract with no guarantees beyond this season.

    Utah is another obvious possibility, given the Jazz's gaping hole at point guard with Mo Williams expected to be sidelined through mid-to-late February. The problem is that Utah doesn't have much more than the expiring contracts of Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap (not a fit) to offer in return, unless the Raptors would be up for something like Marvin Williams ($7.5 million player option in 2013-14) and young swingman Alec Burks.

    Dallas, Detroit and maybe even a team like Milwaukee could be other options. The Mavericks lack the trade chips, but need help at the point, while the Pistons and Bucks both have pieces to deal but aren't serious contenders.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I fear that this is where not having a future 1st round pick to offer in trade could come back to bite the Raptors.

    I wonder if Calderon & 1st round pick (or possibly 2 x 2nd round picks) & possibly Anderson/Pietrus (veteran 3pt shooting) might be enough to target Granger or Millsap. Without a 1st round pick, I seriously doubt it. With one, things could get interesting, but the Raps would need to acquire one in another deal first.

    The other group of teams to be considered would be those looking to dump salary, similar to what Memphis did with Cleveland. Toronto would have to be willing to take back average/bad contracts, in order to provide the other team with cap relief. That could be an opportunity to pickup a draft pick as well.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I fear that this is where not having a future 1st round pick to offer in trade could come back to bite the Raptors.

    I wonder if Calderon & 1st round pick (or possibly 2 x 2nd round picks) & possibly Anderson/Pietrus (veteran 3pt shooting) might be enough to target Granger or Millsap. Without a 1st round pick, I seriously doubt it. With one, things could get interesting, but the Raps would need to acquire one in another deal first.

    The other group of teams to be considered would be those looking to dump salary, similar to what Memphis did with Cleveland. Toronto would have to be willing to take back average/bad contracts, in order to provide the other team with cap relief. That could be an opportunity to pickup a draft pick as well.
    I'd rather give up a future 1st round for Lowry than package one with Calderon. At least the Raps have a starting PG coming off the bench as it is now. Also, in the case of Millsap, he could leave after less than 35 games with nothing to show. At least Lowry has another year guaranteed.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'd rather give up a future 1st round for Lowry than package one with Calderon. At least the Raps have a starting PG coming off the bench as it is now. Also, in the case of Millsap, he could leave after less than 35 games with nothing to show. At least Lowry has another year guaranteed.
    I think its much more likely that if Calderon is traded, especially in a small deal with him being a central piece, it would be a draft pick or package (bad contract & better draft pick) coming back to Toronto.

    I also wouldn't be surprised (or overly disappointed) if Calderon stays with the Raps throughout the year and possibly even re-signs. The only part of me that would be a little upset is the part that is in favor of asset maximization, which would push for a trade (for any positive return) as well as a re-signing in the offseason.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A few quick notes:

    1 - Can't see the Bucks as a contender. They have Jennings to deal with, and have Udrih as a backup and Ellis playing the point for the bench unit as well at times. They basically go three deep at PG already.

    2 - Dallas always has something up their sleeve. If any team without an "obvious" trade is in the market, they are the one. More so, they want the flexibility. I have a feeling Lowry would be their pick if they could get him, though.

    3 - I think taking back a bad contract and a pick is the most likely move in return for Calderon, which might be a good play, depending on the pick. A two year bad deal and a good pick is probably a good swap.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Reinholt wrote: View Post
    A two year bad deal and a good pick is probably a good swap.
    Totally agree. Everyone says that this year's draft is very week, and i haven't seen any NCAA games, but from stats i don't know if Anthony Davis is much more talented than Nerlens Noel
    (a guy averages 10.7 pts 9.4 rebs 4.2 blks and 2.5 stls), or if guys like Beal or Barnes are way better than McLemore and Shabazz...
    Last edited by japetas; Thu Jan 24th, 2013 at 06:26 PM.
    (Sorry for poor English )

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Reinholt wrote: View Post
    A few quick notes:

    1 - Can't see the Bucks as a contender. They have Jennings to deal with, and have Udrih as a backup and Ellis playing the point for the bench unit as well at times. They basically go three deep at PG already.

    2 - Dallas always has something up their sleeve. If any team without an "obvious" trade is in the market, they are the one. More so, they want the flexibility. I have a feeling Lowry would be their pick if they could get him, though.

    3 - I think taking back a bad contract and a pick is the most likely move in return for Calderon, which might be a good play, depending on the pick. A two year bad deal and a good pick is probably a good swap.
    Definitely agree. The draft is a long way off and a lot can change - this time last year I think Waiters was high teens and then he refused workouts and went to #4, say what!, but I digress - but the 2 guys I like are Otto Porter and Trey Burke both are projected mid-late teens right now.

    Regarding Dallas, they can't trade a pick until draft night due to restrictions with Lakers on Odom trade (top 20 protected).
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote japetas wrote: View Post
    Totally agree. Everyone says that this year's draft is very week, and i haven't seen any NCAA games, but from stats i don't know if Anthony Davis is much more talented than Nerlens Noel
    (a guy averages 10.7 pts 9.4 rebs 4.2 blks and 2.5 stls), or if guys like Beal or Barnes are way better than McLemore and Shabazz...
    This draft class has not got a lot of love but it is growing on me the more I look in to it. There are not a lot of guys I'd be interested in but last year there only about 7 guys I was interested in by the end of it anyways.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why is Millsap not a fit?

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not sure of the market for Jose other than Utah.

    The idea of getting back any decent player is ridiculous in my opinion. For the same reasons why the Raptors aren't giving up assets to get a Millsap or whoever, any team taking Jose is not going to do the same because he might be gone for nothing in 35 games (plus maybe a playoff series or two).

    Only way anything of value comes for Jose, in my opinion, is if undesirable contracts are taken in return and/or a piece such as ED is included.

    Back to Utah, another problem with Utah is they have a lot of cap space as it is already. When they only have $26M in maximum committed salary for next season (i.e. over $30M in cap space assuming they renounced rights to Jefferson and Millsap) as it is. Would saving $7.5M on Marvin Williams be a coup for them?

    Who knows.... I hate to wish time away but is it the 21st of February yet?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lakers can definitely use him with the brittle Nash, he is definitely an upgrade over Duhon.

    Hawks lost Lou Williams for the year, they could use Jose's services.

    An injury to a PG to a playoff-laden team will result in a trade for Jose at the deadline.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JasonS wrote: View Post
    Lakers can definitely use him with the brittle Nash, he is definitely an upgrade over Duhon.
    One injury in 10 years? Never played less than 74 games in previous 11 years and averaged less than 4 missed games per season.

    Hawks lost Lou Williams for the year, they could use Jose's services.
    Agreed but Teague is still starter and outside of Horford/Smith (unlikely) or Harris who is also expiring (new Williams?) who would they include to make numbers work and not give up any assets?

    An injury to a PG to a playoff-laden team will result in a trade for Jose at the deadline.
    In a sick twisted way one can hope.


    Left out is a team that is not a playoff contender and just wants to dump salary/players - like Phoenix/Beasley.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    This draft class has not got a lot of love but it is growing on me the more I look in to it. There are not a lot of guys I'd be interested in but last year there only about 7 guys I was interested in by the end of it anyways.
    isn't that the way it seems every year the draft is weak. any deal that gets us a first rounder in any year or even a second rounder has a chance to pan out. Jose for anything pick in the first round should be jumped on.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree with everyone here in that trading Jose for a pick is the way to go

    but can we not include Bargnani in the deal and still get a pick?

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,027
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Keep in mind that a year ago, Barbosa's $7.5 million dollar expiring deal only got us the 56th pick in the draft or whatever. Expiring deals on their face just don't seem to have the value that they used to.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Keep in mind that a year ago, Barbosa's $7.5 million dollar expiring deal only got us the 56th pick in the draft or whatever. Expiring deals on their face just don't seem to have the value that they used to.
    Totally agree. If not part of a package, we shouldn't be expecting much for Calderon.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Keep in mind that a year ago, Barbosa's $7.5 million dollar expiring deal only got us the 56th pick in the draft or whatever. Expiring deals on their face just don't seem to have the value that they used to.
    We need to remember Colangelo also didn't want to take back any salary which meant he narrowed down the field of potential suitors for Barbossa.

    Expiring deals can be very valuable in the right situation but not necessarily all situations

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Keep in mind that a year ago, Barbosa's $7.5 million dollar expiring deal only got us the 56th pick in the draft or whatever. Expiring deals on their face just don't seem to have the value that they used to.
    I tend to agree with you in the moment.

    I think next year expiring deals will regain significance with new luxury tax.

    Regarding Barbosa, if you look at the lack of demand for him in the off season and the fact he was not signed until the season started with Boston - at minimum! - then there is likely the issue Raptor fans - myself included - significantly overvalued not only the contract but the player.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    We need to remember Colangelo also didn't want to take back any salary which meant he narrowed down the field of potential suitors for Barbossa.

    Expiring deals can be very valuable in the right situation but not necessarily all situations
    Right. Forgot that.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Seriously, who does want Jose????

    Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

    Y! Sources: Final hurdle for a Rudy Gay-to-Toronto deal hinges on third team involvement. http://tinyurl.com/ap4yde8
    The final hurdle for the salary dump of Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors hinges on finding a third team to absorb the expiring contract of Raptors guard Jose Calderon, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

    Rudy Gay is averaging 17.2 points and 5.9 boards this season. The Grizzlies have inquired with multiple teams over the past several days, searching for a willing partner to facilitate a three-team deal, sources said.

    Despite organizational proclamations to the contrary, new Memphis ownership and management is determined to unload Gay and the $37 million owed him as soon as possible, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

    Calderon has a $10.5 million expiring contract.

    "With so many quality point guards, they're struggling to find a spot for Calderon," one league general manager told Yahoo! Sports.

    Preferably, the Grizzlies want a less expensive small forward to plug into the lineup for Gay, sources said. Memphis has been relentless in shopping Gay over the past several weeks.


    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--gr...033758281.html
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •