No announcement yet.

Who wants Jose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh Lucas.... :/ hopefully we can pick up some young kid with something to prove to back up Lowry instead of having Lucas play at all.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      And don't look now, but the Lakers have won 3 straight....with the Suns, Wolves and Pistons up next.

With a potential 6-game winning streak on the horizon, perhaps Gasol isn't going anywhere.
      http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...rs-win-hornets

Pau not happy.

$19M per year is a lot to bench in the 4th quarter.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        So when all said and done:

PG: Lowry, Lucas
        SG: DD, Ross
        SF: Gay, Fields, Pietrus
        PF: Gasol, Amir, Acy
        C: JV, Gray
        The problem with the inclusion of Lakers in this discussion is the rise of Earl Clark. 4/5 from three last night. Looks like D'Antoni found his "Stretch 4". Not only that, Clark, rebounds with reckless abandon. This is BC's epic mess. Just a mess whenever I frequent these forums. The fans seems to spend more time trying to clean up his mess (as faux GMs).
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

This could be another option for including the Celtics in the mix: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ajt8rth

Memphis
          - saves roughly $5M per season
          - Green replaces Gay (starting SF)
          - Davis makes Arthur (or possibly Randolph) expendable
          - Collins will likely get waived

Boston
          - Calderon replaces Rondo (starting PG) as a 1-year rental
          - Anderson replaces Green (backup SF), providing solid wing defense and 3pt shooting
          - huge financial savings after this season (for the next 3 years) to help with their rebuilding once the Garnett/Pierce dynasty comes to an end

Toronto
          - getting Gay for Calderon, Davis, Anderson and a 2nd round pick is a pretty solid deal
          - wing rotation of Gay, Ross, DeRozan and Fields, so Anderson won't be missed
          - still need to move Bargnani
          - would still need to improve the starting PF (Amir will be backup PF)
          - would still need to improve the backup PG (though Lucas will suffice for this season)
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            The problem with the inclusion of Lakers in this discussion is the rise of Earl Clark. 4/5 from three last night. Looks like D'Antoni found his "Stretch 4". Not only that, Clark, rebounds with reckless abandon. This is BC's epic mess. Just a mess whenever I frequent these forums. The fans seems to spend more time trying to clean up his mess (as faux GMs).
            It will be interesting to see if this is an aberration on Clark's part. He hardly was a prolific scorer from deep in college nor the NBA. But then again, when a guys gets a chance to show what he can do.....

Comment

It will be interesting to see if this is an aberration on Clark's part. He hardly was a prolific scorer from deep in college nor the NBA. But then again, when a guys gets a chance to show what he can do.....
              I'm not one for small sample sizes but he's was quite impressive last night. Very mobile, an opportunistic scorer and has good shooting mechanics from perimeter.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Can it be that no team is willing to take on Jose because, apart from his salary, that he is expected to play Euroball this summer, and possibly log heavy minutes since Rubio will definitely not play and most likely use the summer to heal up and get back in tiptop shape?

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                  Can it be that no team is willing to take on Jose because, apart from his salary, that he is expected to play Euroball this summer, and possibly log heavy minutes since Rubio will definitely not play and most likely use the summer to heal up and get back in tiptop shape?
                  I'm assuming that teams are only viewing him as an expiring contract, as opposed to factoring into their plans beyond this season. As a fan of Calderon, I'm actually happy about the lack of long-term demand for him, as it could potentially open the door to his returning to the Raptors (following a trade) in the offseason.

I'm curious if the problem is more about teams not wanting Calderon, or if it's more to do with Memphis not being satisfied with the return for Calderon that other suitors are offering. Calderon may not even be the real problem, it could be Memphis' level of expectations of what they want along with Toronto's "young player".
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I'm assuming that teams are only viewing him as an expiring contract, as opposed to factoring into their plans beyond this season. As a fan of Calderon, I'm actually happy about the lack of long-term demand for him, as it could potentially open the door to his returning to the Raptors (following a trade) in the offseason.
                    So do you think then that no other team is sold on having a pass first PG? Out of 29 teams, only the Raptors are still clinging to a pass first, team oriented type of basketball?

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                      So do you think then that no other team is sold on having a pass first PG? Out of 29 teams, only the Raptors are still clinging to a pass first, team oriented type of basketball?
                      Could be due to his age, injury history, preference to go young (given the depth at PG in the league these days), reputation for poor defense, unwillingness to commit to an unknown salary expectation... lots of possibilities, to go along with the demands Memphis may have in return for Calderon.

Comment

I wonder about Phoenix. Supposedly they are willing to deal Dudley who has 12.75M on his contract after this season. Would Phoenix take Calderon and pay an extra $3-4M this season to save $12.75M over the next few years? That is about a $9M swing.

Something simple like this that Hollingers numbers add 6 wins:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b9m75e7

Toronto: Gay
                        Memphis: Dudley, Davis, 2nd rd pick from Raptors, (I would imagine a big trade exception would come of this)
                        Phoenix: Calderon, 2nd rd pick from Raptors

Raps can then follow it up with something like this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9wr7jdw

Toronto: Gasol
                        Lakers: Bargnani, Kleiza, Anderson
                        Memphis: Meeks, Jamison (using TPEs)

Lakers save a tonne of money this year and next (especially next with SUPER luxury tax). Memphis adds depth currently lacking and replaces a shooter in Meeks. Neither Meeks, Jamison, or Gasol have been happy with D'Antoni's playing time.
                        I like my crazy trade better. 4-teams...Toronto, Memphis, Boston, LAL

Toronto gets: Pau Gasol, Paul Pierce, Darrell Arthur
                        LA gets: Bargnani, Gay
                        Memphis gets: Amir, Courtney Lee, Alan Anderson and Antawn Jamison
                        Boston gets: Jose, Fields, Gray, Jordan Hill

There are certainly lots of parts that could change, but basically it goes like this at the core. Toronto gets Pierce and Pau. LAL gets Bargs and Gay, who could both thrive in the D'Antoni system. Gay would get more open looks, and Bargs would move from a 1st option to something like 5th behind Kobe, Dwight, Gay and Nash. Probably the right role for him. Boston gets to dump salary with only Fields adding some commitment (but he has a year less than Lee). If they're going into tank mode, I expect whatever trade they make will look like something similar. Memphis gets Jamison, Lee and AA, who can all shoot. Lee and Amir are long-term, but they break up Gay's deal into a smaller total with 2 parts that both have pretty good value contracts should they need to move one again, and both could be good role players on a team like Memphis.

Toronto suddenly looks like this:
                        C: Gasol, JV
                        PF: Ed, Arthur, Quincy, Kleiza
                        SF: Pierce, Ross, Pietrus, Kleiza
                        SG: Demar, Ross

We'd need a spare part or two thrown in somewhere in the deal, probably jsut a big body (Robert Sacre for hometown marketing?) to replace Gray. Fans will hate to lose Amir, but will probably learn to love Arthur for the same reasons. Pau takes the load off JV and starts at C. It's easy to cut Arthur out of the main 3 bigs rotation if JV and Ed keep developing as hoped. Pau and Pierce will both still be very attractive trade pieces next year (as long as they're both healthy enough) with their experience and huge expiring contracts. So if things aren't working, or even if they are but changes need to be made with a long-term focus, it's easy to fix.
                        Again, while I trade machine'd this, it could look a bit different, but for some reason, this kind of deal is much more appealing to me. It would basically give us 2 legit, albeit declining, 1A (or 1B now) type players...Guys who in their prime were borderline franchise players, and both have championship experience. This is something our team badly lacks. It wouldn't hinder the development of any of our young players (even with Pierce, Ross' minutes should go up if we unload AA and/or Fields). It wouldn't destroy flexibility. And it would also have a chance to instantly make us a playoff team, and give our young players firsthand experience. Obvious issue is we lose some depth...but like I said, some of the parts could change, and we could always find end of bench players in the offseason. THe only real concern is not having a competent backup for Lowry.

Here it is:
                        http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a2hjvq2
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:12 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          I like my crazy trade better. 4-teams...Toronto, Memphis, Boston, LAL

Toronto gets: Pau Gasol, Paul Pierce, Darrell Arthur
                          LA gets: Bargnani, Gay
                          Memphis gets: Amir, Courtney Lee, Alan Anderson and Antawn Jamison
                          Boston gets: Jose, Fields, Gray, Jordan Hill

There are certainly lots of parts that could change, but basically it goes like this at the core. Toronto gets Pierce and Pau. LAL gets Bargs and Gay, who could both thrive in the D'Antoni system. Gay would get more open looks, and Bargs would move from a 1st option to something like 5th behind Kobe, Dwight, Gay and Nash. Probably the right role for him. Boston gets to dump salary with only Fields adding some commitment (but he has a year less than Lee). If they're going into tank mode, I expect whatever trade they make will look like something similar. Memphis gets Jamison, Lee and AA, who can all shoot. Lee and Amir are long-term, but they break up Gay's deal into a smaller total with 2 parts that both have pretty good value contracts should they need to move one again, and both could be good role players on a team like Memphis.

Toronto suddenly looks like this:
                          C: Gasol, JV
                          PF: Ed, Arthur, Quincy, Kleiza
                          SF: Pierce, Ross, Pietrus, Kleiza
                          SG: Demar, Ross

We'd need a spare part or two thrown in somewhere in the deal, probably jsut a big body (Robert Sacre for hometown marketing?) to replace Gray. Fans will hate to lose Amir, but will probably learn to love Arthur for the same reasons. Pau takes the load off JV and starts at C. It's easy to cut Arthur out of the main 3 bigs rotation if JV and Ed keep developing as hoped. Pau and Pierce will both still be very attractive trade pieces next year (as long as they're both healthy enough) with their experience and huge expiring contracts. So if things aren't working, or even if they are but changes need to be made with a long-term focus, it's easy to fix.
                          Again, while I trade machine'd this, it could look a bit different, but for some reason, this kind of deal is much more appealing to me. It would basically give us 2 legit, albeit declining, 1A (or 1B now) type players...Guys who in their prime were borderline franchise players, and both have championship experience. This is something our team badly lacks. It wouldn't hinder the development of any of our young players (even with Pierce, Ross' minutes should go up if we unload AA and/or Fields). It wouldn't destroy flexibility. And it would also have a chance to instantly make us a playoff team, and give our young players firsthand experience. Obvious issue is we lose some depth...but like I said, some of the parts could change, and we could always find end of bench players in the offseason. THe only real concern is not having a competent backup for Lowry.

Here it is:
                          http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a2hjvq2
                          I am not surprised you like your trade better but you would be tied for the largest trade in NBA history and I don't think it addresses the issues the new management in Memphis are trying to address.

The 2nd trade I put in for Gasol is just bullshit. The first trade with Phoenix is one I think could work.

Comment

Boston. I'm going to say it (everyone else is as well) and going to say it over and over again. Boston.

If they DO plan to blow the team up, Jose's rental will prove useful as a rental for this season with Rondo out, and contract expires with nearly 10$ million off the books for Boston to take in bad contracts in return with prospects/picks.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                              Boston. I'm going to say it (everyone else is as well) and going to say it over and over again. Boston.

If they DO plan to blow the team up, Jose's rental will prove useful as a rental for this season with Rondo out, and contract expires with nearly 10$ million off the books for Boston to take in bad contracts in return with prospects/picks.
                              If Memphis has any interest in Green, I could see a deal working like this: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ajt8rth

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                If Memphis has any interest in Green, I could see a deal working like this: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ajt8rth
                                Nice trade. But, it doesn't necessarily address their salary dump. You've got Green with 8$ million + for the next 4 years. Although, they get a cheap rookie contract on an improving big (possibly replacing Z-Bo if traded), expiring - very little - contract from Collins, and they address a young wing with Jeff Green. Another problem though is, they wanted a young, cheap wing player.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X