Who wants Jose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully wrote: View Post
    Keep in mind that a year ago, Barbosa's $7.5 million dollar expiring deal only got us the 56th pick in the draft or whatever. Expiring deals on their face just don't seem to have the value that they used to.
    Totally agree. If not part of a package, we shouldn't be expecting much for Calderon.

Comment

Keep in mind that a year ago, Barbosa's $7.5 million dollar expiring deal only got us the 56th pick in the draft or whatever. Expiring deals on their face just don't seem to have the value that they used to.
      We need to remember Colangelo also didn't want to take back any salary which meant he narrowed down the field of potential suitors for Barbossa.

Expiring deals can be very valuable in the right situation but not necessarily all situations

Comment

I tend to agree with you in the moment.

I think next year expiring deals will regain significance with new luxury tax.

Regarding Barbosa, if you look at the lack of demand for him in the off season and the fact he was not signed until the season started with Boston - at minimum! - then there is likely the issue Raptor fans - myself included - significantly overvalued not only the contract but the player.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
          We need to remember Colangelo also didn't want to take back any salary which meant he narrowed down the field of potential suitors for Barbossa.

Expiring deals can be very valuable in the right situation but not necessarily all situations
          Right. Forgot that.

Comment

Seriously, who does want Jose????

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Y! Sources: Final hurdle for a Rudy Gay-to-Toronto deal hinges on third team involvement. http://tinyurl.com/ap4yde8
            The final hurdle for the salary dump of Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors hinges on finding a third team to absorb the expiring contract of Raptors guard Jose Calderon, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Rudy Gay is averaging 17.2 points and 5.9 boards this season. The Grizzlies have inquired with multiple teams over the past several days, searching for a willing partner to facilitate a three-team deal, sources said.

Despite organizational proclamations to the contrary, new Memphis ownership and management is determined to unload Gay and the $37 million owed him as soon as possible, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Calderon has a $10.5 million expiring contract.

"With so many quality point guards, they're struggling to find a spot for Calderon," one league general manager told Yahoo! Sports.

Preferably, the Grizzlies want a less expensive small forward to plug into the lineup for Gay, sources said. Memphis has been relentless in shopping Gay over the past several weeks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--gr...033758281.html

Comment

I really hope a contender comes out and takes him. He deserves a playoff run

Comment

LA Lakers, Boston and Dallas seem like his potential landing spots maybe even Detroit.

Comment

I wonder about Phoenix. Supposedly they are willing to deal Dudley who has 12.75M on his contract after this season. Would Phoenix take Calderon and pay an extra $3-4M this season to save $12.75M over the next few years? That is about a $9M swing.

Something simple like this that Hollingers numbers add 6 wins:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b9m75e7

Toronto: Gay
                  Memphis: Dudley, Davis, 2nd rd pick from Raptors, (I would imagine a big trade exception would come of this)
                  Phoenix: Calderon, 2nd rd pick from Raptors

Raps can then follow it up with something like this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9wr7jdw

Toronto: Gasol
                  Lakers: Bargnani, Kleiza, Anderson
                  Memphis: Meeks, Jamison (using TPEs)

Lakers save a tonne of money this year and next (especially next with SUPER luxury tax). Memphis adds depth currently lacking and replaces a shooter in Meeks. Neither Meeks, Jamison, or Gasol have been happy with D'Antoni's playing time.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I wonder about Phoenix. Supposedly they are willing to deal Dudley who has 12.75M on his contract after this season. Would Phoenix take Calderon and pay an extra $3-4M this season to save $12.75M over the next few years? That is about a $9M swing.

Something simple like this that Hollingers numbers add 6 wins:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b9m75e7

Toronto: Gay
                    Memphis: Dudley, Davis, 2nd rd pick from Raptors, (I would imagine a big trade exception would come of this)
                    Phoenix: Calderon, 2nd rd pick from Raptors

Raps can then follow it up with something like this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9wr7jdw

Toronto: Gasol
                    Lakers: Bargnani, Kleiza, Anderson
                    Memphis: Meeks, Jamison (using TPEs)

Lakers save a tonne of money this year and next (especially next with SUPER luxury tax). Memphis adds depth currently lacking and replaces a shooter in Meeks. Neither Meeks, Jamison, or Gasol have been happy with D'Antoni's playing time.
                    So when all said and done:

PG: Lowry, Lucas
                    SG: DD, Ross
                    SF: Gay, Fields, Pietrus
                    PF: Gasol, Amir, Acy
                    C: JV, Gray

Comment

Sign me up!

(Pretty much any roster depth chart that doesn't contain the swear word "Barg----" is something I sign up for.)
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

I don't see LA giving up Gasol, Meeks and Jamison for Bargnani, Kleiza and AA. That's a hell of a lot to give up for that return. It takes them out of the super tax, but it is Kupchak that you'd have to deal with. He'll be asking for Ross, JV and Lowry for Gasol not Bargnani and Kleiza.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          Sign me up!

(Pretty much any roster depth chart that doesn't contain the swear word "Barg----" is something I sign up for.)
                          if it happened like that i bet you pau goes in the 5 and amir starts, so the team can try and develop acy and ween gray out of existence

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I don't see LA giving up Gasol, Meeks and Jamison for Bargnani, Kleiza and AA. That's a hell of a lot to give up for that return. It takes them out of the super tax, but it is Kupchak that you'd have to deal with. He'll be asking for Ross, JV and Lowry for Gasol not Bargnani and Kleiza.
                            Kupchak is a great GM but he does not hold any leverage here. If he doesn't want to trade Pau, so be it. I would also do http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=awkarau

Gasol is bench, owed $39M over the next 2 years and they are looking at a payroll of over $100M.

Comment

And don't look now, but the Lakers have won 3 straight....with the Suns, Wolves and Pistons up next.

With a potential 6-game winning streak on the horizon, perhaps Gasol isn't going anywhere.

Comment

At first glance, I love it. The only thing that concerns me is how much shooting (specifically 3-point shooting) we lose. I only hope gay can become a more reliable outside shooter. 3-point shooting is the one thing casey pushed hard to address in the off-season and with this trade it only leaves us with 3 real outside threats (that will get playing time) and only 1 in the starting lineup.

Comment

Working...
                                X