Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rondo done for the season. Do celtics call for Calderon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I just don't buy it. That would be a strange move to make. They're struggling with Rondo, maybe the best pure PG in the league other than Paul, and Lowry/Jose are clearly not at that level. The time of this core is done, and that's why Ray Allen left. If Rondo is their franchise player moving forward, the only guy I see them keeping is KG to anchor the frontcourt and because he has a solid relationship with Rondo.
    Not to mention the C's have nothing that helps Toronto. They have a load of average talent on $5+M contracts. Bradley is a 6'2" SG. Sullinger is another PF. The only asset they have is their pick which is likely to be 15.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Not to mention the C's have nothing that helps Toronto. They have a load of average talent on $5+M contracts. Bradley is a 6'2" SG. Sullinger is another PF. The only asset they have is their pick which is likely to be 15.
      Yeah, I'm pretty sure they were hoping to have at least one more good season, in which case a lot of the average talent on such deals would maybe look ok in a couple of seasons, when they're closer to expiring, and again, if the C's had continued to play well for a season or two, so they at least look like average talent that helps a team win. If a guy looks like a "winner" teams will definitely pay the extra mill or two hoping he has that intangible kind of impact. But no one on the Celtics looks like that right now.

Comment

GoHuskies wrote: View Post
        What about this as an option......Memphis will save money plus get Pierce for a big push to try and win something this year , Boston gets a PG for the remainder of the year plus a SF , we finally get Gay

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ap8e8se

add to that a trade to move Bargnani to Denver and we have a real different looking team

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ajp2een

Lowry / Lucas/ (sign some 10 day contracts)
        DeRozan / Ross / Anderson
        Gay/ Chandler / Kleiza / Acy
        Davis / Amir / Randolph
        Valanciunas / Mozgov / Gray
        good lord... Gay AND Chandler? I'm afraid your severe optimism might become so extreme that you'd need some medical attention haha

Comment

100% agree.

If they look to add a guy like Calderon for one last run then a 3rd team would have to get involved unless BC stupidly takes on Green's contract and puts a huge stranglehold on the team's finances going forward. Consider the total salary next year for Bargs, DeRozan, Green, Amir and Fields (all of whom would have at least 2 more years on their deals after this one): roughly 41 million. Not exactly how I'd want my ledger to look if I'm BC trying to convince the team to extend my contract.

That being said, I think a 3-team trade has potential because Toronto has two assets that the Celts would probably love: one of Calderon and Lowry, and Alan Anderson. Anderson makes Courtney Lee instantly expendable, and if you packaged Lee with something like Sullinger and/or the Celts' pick, you just might find a team willing to take them on and something useful to send to the Raps. Kinda doubt it though.

I have a feeling the more Danny Ainge looks at his team's roster, the more likely he is to blow it up.

Comment

CBSSports reported they [Boston] called Toronto for EITHER Kyle Lowry or Jose Calderon.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b39em5b

I would trade Kyle Lowry + Quincy Acy + 2nd Rounders for Avery Bradley + Courtney Lee + 1st Round Pick.

Avery Bradley is PERFECT for Coach Casey. Defensive point guard, aggressive, can hit the outside shot, athletic, but knows how to get the team involved.
            Courtney Lee gives us another solid wing. I doubt he would take many minutes off of Ross. Derozan, Anderson, Fields capable playing the 3, play Ross or Lee at the 2.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              CBSSports reported they [Boston] called Toronto for EITHER Kyle Lowry or Jose Calderon.

I would trade Kyle Lowry + Quincy Acy + 2nd Rounders for Avery Bradley + Courtney Lee + 1st Round Pick.

Avery Bradley is PERFECT for Coach Casey. Defensive point guard, aggressive, can hit the outside shot, athletic, but knows how to get the team involved.
              Courtney Lee gives us another solid wing. I doubt he would take many minutes off of Ross. Derozan, Anderson, Fields capable playing the 3, play Ross or Lee at the 2.
              This deal is not great to begin with, but how is Bradly a guy who knows ho to get the team involved? He's a horrible PG in that respect. He's a SG in PG's body...IN fact if he was 4 or 5 inches taller, he might be as good a prospect as, oh, say, Terrence Ross.

Comment

Bradly is not a PG.

Lee is questionably solid but, lets say he is, the Raps already have solid wings: DD, TR, LF, AA. The Raps don't need anymore solid. The Raps need greatness.

Comment

Bradly is not a PG.

Lee is questionably solid but, lets say he is, the Raps already have solid wings: DD, TR, LF, AA. The Raps don't need anymore solid. The Raps need greatness.
                  We aren't going to get that by trading with the pieces we have. We don't have anyone worth the 'greatness' you speak of. Better to build a team capable of getting better every passing year, and allowing us to draft/sign for that very player.

I would still love to have Bradley. The dude can play point guard.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

We aren't going to get that by trading with the pieces we have. We don't have anyone worth the 'greatness' you speak of. Better to build a team capable of getting better every passing year, and allowing us to draft/sign for that very player.

If this was so I don't think the Celtics would be that worried about Rondo going down
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Scouting report
                      + Elite perimeter defender. Excels at pressuring the ball and forcing turnovers.
                      + Undersized for a 2 but not a point guard. Solid midrange shooter but lacks range.
                      + Must improve left hand and cut turnovers. Good finisher. Poor rebounder.

Analysis
                      An already good Boston defense reached another level when Bradley took over as the starting shooting guard, and he looks to be a fixture for several seasons based on his suffocating ball pressure.

Bradley actually didn't have an unusually high steal rate, as he didn't take gambles off the ball, but on it he routinely devoured dribblers with his outstanding lateral quickness. Bradley had some of the best Synergy scores at his position and held opposing guards to barely double digit PERs; the Celtics also gave up 4.4 points per 100 possessions less with him on the court. Opposing 2s occasionally found success attacking him in the post, but even there he did a fairly solid job.

Of equal importance was Bradley's offensive development -- not great but good enough to play. Bradley made 41.3 percent of his long 2s and converted a very strong 65.3 percent at the basket; overall, his 2-point shooting percentage was eighth among shooting guards.

While he attempted only 54 3-pointers on the season, he made a respectable 22 of them. Bradley will need to refine his long-range shot and rely on it instead of all the 15-footers, as he ranked just 53rd out of 61 shooting guards in secondary percentage by taking mostly 2s and rarely drawing fouls.

Additionally, his ball skills need a lot of work. Boston didn't ask a ton of him offensively, but his turnover ratio still ranked 56th among shooting guards. That's not acceptable for a bit player, and if he's a subpar ball handler for a 2 (just 50th in pure point rating), it seems a long shot that he can become a functional point guard. On a positive note, he turns 22 in November and has a chance to improve substantially because he's already getting consistent minutes.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Nah i don't think Bradley can play PG. We should be looking to dump Caldy and Bargs for a Vet C, Late 1st rounder(for Kabongo), and another serviceable pg that can log a couple mins to give lowry a breather. I for one am not sold on Lowry being traded, he's going to get the starting Gig as soon as BC flips caldy for some goodies.

Comment

I think we should trade for Jeff Green. He is an all star caliber talent.

Matt52 and I are in complete agreement

*this may or may not be a doctored post
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Y'all are missing the most obvious trade scenario:

Calderon for Rondo straight up.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

How 'bout Lowry and DeMar for Rondo?

Comment

Marc Stein: Sense I get is it's far likelier Celts pursue Kyle Lowry and his cap-friendly contract. But do Celts have assets to land Raps PG? We'll see

Just my opinion but how about a 3 way trade between Boston, TO and Memphis?

Memphis gets Green + draft picks
                                Boston gets Lowry
                                TO gets Gay
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X