Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terrence Ross VS DeMar DeRozan

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Terrence Ross VS DeMar DeRozan

Midway through the season, compare Terrence Ross rookie stats versus DeMar DeRozan's rookie stats

Rookie Campaign

Ross
    7.1ppg
    2.2rpg
    0.8apg

DeRozan
    8.6ppg
    2.9rpg
    0.7apg

Both have quite similar stats, both play the guard spot while neither is a 3 that can guard big elite 3 like Lebron, Carmello, Gay, or Granger, one is a slasher (DeRozan), one is a streaky shooter (Ross). Personally, I think Ross will have a higher ceiling, given time, he could turn to a Ray Allen or Reggie Miller but plays with defense, let's just hope Ross won't hit the rookie wall in his sophomore season but who knows. When Ross plays more than 20min per game, he's contributing at a higher EFF than DeRozan in his rookie campaign so obviously, there is the ceiling, and it seems he's a lot more coachable, less frustrated, more of a calm player than DeRozan. Although, I wish both will stay with the Raptors while perhaps in a few years, these two can make some noise in the league.

Raptors Republic Superstar FoxMachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    Midway through the season, compare Terrence Ross rookie stats versus DeMar DeRozan's rookie stats

Rookie Campaign

Ross
    7.1ppg
    2.2rpg
    0.8apg

DeRozan
    8.6ppg
    2.9rpg
    0.7apg

Both have quite similar stats, both play the guard spot while neither is a 3 that can guard big elite 3 like Lebron, Carmello, Gay, or Granger, one is a slasher (DeRozan), one is a streaky shooter (Ross). Personally, I think Ross will have a higher ceiling, given time, he could turn to a Ray Allen or Reggie Miller but plays with defense, let's just hope Ross won't hit the rookie wall in his sophomore season but who knows. When Ross plays more than 20min per game, he's contributing at a higher EFF than DeRozan in his rookie campaign so obviously, there is the ceiling, and it seems he's a lot more coachable, less frustrated, more of a calm player than DeRozan. Although, I wish both will stay with the Raptors while perhaps in a few years, these two can make some noise in the league.
    wouldn't that be a sophomore wall?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

DD played more mins than TR in his rook going hence the lil different in stats

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
    exactly.. DD has been a starter since day 1... T.Ross is already better in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ball4life wrote: View Post

do we have that stat somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Ross
    7.1ppg
    2.2rpg
    0.8apg
    17.7mpg

DeRozan
    8.6ppg
    2.9rpg
    0.7apg
    21.6mpg

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't know what to expect from derozan down the line. hes been given a few more minutes every season but production hasn't really changed at all. i'm hoping he reaches at least 20ppg by the end of this season, just so i can have a piece of mind that theres actually some growth happening.

i get that the casey strat is to share the ball which might mitigate his numbers, but we still have to depend on a reliable scorer to actually win games and i really hope derozan fills that role.

i mean 12 points in the 1st quarter of the magic game and then only 3 more points TOTAL for the remainder of the game? bah.

i hope T Ross gets more minutes, but right now, raptors can't afford to have rookies on the floor.
    Last edited by iblastoff; Sun Jan 27th, 2013 at 11:47 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All I know is...this kid's gonna be special:

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    i hope T Ross gets more minutes, but right now, raptors can't afford to have rookies on the floor.
    Why not!?!?! yes the injury to Rondo, opens the playoff widow a smidge, but our odds are still quite small. Even if we make the playoffs this year it's not like we are going to make any noise. For this franchise to make the next step we are going to need serious contribution for JV and Ross. The question I would ask, would be is it better for their development to get more minutes/game if that means we miss the playoffs, or give them limited minutes in the hopes that we make the playoffs, because the limited minutes they get in the playoffs will provide a better experience? And I think it's a tough call, because there's no guarantee that giving them limited minutes will result in any more wins.

Personally, I'd rather let them play, if they learn a lot and we still squeeze into the playoffs that's ideal, but even if we don't get there this year we would be in better shape next year than if we played them limited minutes and still didn't make the playoffs.

Ross Per/36
    Age Tm Lg Pos G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL
    21 TOR NBA SG 41 0 726 5.8 14.1 .412 2.3 6.7 .341 0.6 1.0 .571 1.1 3.5 4.6 1.5 1.4
    BLK TOV PF PTS
    0.4 1.4 3.6 14.5

Derozan Per/36
    Age Tm Lg Pos G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL
    20 TOR NBA SG 77 65 1664 5.5 11.1 .498 0.1 0.3 .250 3.2 4.2 .763 1.4 3.4 4.8 1.1 0.9
    BLK TOV PF PTS
    0.4 1.3 3.8 14.3

Ross advanced stats
    MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
    726 11.6 .498 .493 3.5 11.8 7.6 7.3 2.1 1.0 8.7 20.7 98 109 0.1 0.4 0.5 .035

Demar Advanced stats
    PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
    12.5 .554 .502 4.8 10.9 7.9 4.9 1.3 0.8 9.4 18.1 110 115 2.0 0.3 2.3 .066

It's not necessarily fair to compare first year numbers since there are still 38 games left to play this season but they are fairly similar. I actually expected ross to be more slightly more productive but that's not what this data shows. I think it would be difficult to say that Ross is clearly better than Demar was in his rookie campaign.

EDIT: sorry it's hard to read but you can see the stats in an easy to understand format by visiting basket-ball.reference.com which is where these stats come from.
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Mon Jan 28th, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ross needs to either gain more confidence or learn to shoot better. His percentages are pretty brutal.. I know he's a rookie but those numbers shouldn't deserve starter minutes (DeMar shouldn't have been a starter either as a rookie though).

The one advantage DeMar had over Ross was his ability to get fouled. Although DeMar doesn't dunk as much as he should he still got to the rim a lot more than Ross does.. and those points in the paint are worth a lot more than those shots from the outside - especially since there is a far greater chance that the ball will go in when shot inside the paint.

I do agree that Ross makes DeMar expendable though. It's a big reason why DeMar's extension this early was idiotic.

Raptors Republic Rookie chrischris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote themasao wrote: View Post
    All I know is...this kid's gonna be special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZPnKJgd8U4
    Great vid. Cant wait to see this guy grow.
    I think they have the wrong stadium in the intro haha

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

When Ross gains some experience and gets comfortable in the league, he can easily take Derozan's place in the starting unit. Derozan can then be traded. If he(Demar) continues playing the way he is, they should get something nice for him.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Rookie serbiantiger8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like we have similar situation, maybe not as good, as what Indiana has, with Granger and George. I think we should also follow a similar format as they've done, letting George develop off the bench for his first couple of years, and now look at him. Granger is easily expandable for them now. If we could be patient with Ross for a couple of years, then Derozan becomes expandable, and we can get a good return for him in the future.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's not forget that DeRozan had a double team magnet (i.e Bosh) to help his offense as a rookie. Ross doesn't have that luxury.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Let's not forget that DeRozan had a double team magnet (i.e Bosh) to help his offense as a rookie. Ross doesn't have that luxury.
    thats a very good point too!

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are so many variables ... but I'd go with minutes as the big comparison.

Eventhough starting seems like more was given to Demar, when is a rookie more likely to get some looks or a role - with the A unit, or a bench mob?

What is of real interest is how TRoss already has signs of so many pieces to his game. He is:

-Arguably the Raptors best 3pt threat (only better % from PG's who may not shoot as often)
    -Able to create his own shot off the dribble. Not much in the lane, but his jumper gets lots of space for what he needs!
    -Gets in the lane for steals, without cheating and giving up blow-bys. Many of his highlights are fast breaks where he created it.

Demar is a good NBA player, and I think his contract is not too far off his value. I do think TRoss is the preferred option of the future if he starts to add some consistency to his game. SG's need to be able to space the floor with shooting.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    DD is drawing doubles now
    but casey doesnt run any plays to take advantage of a dd-ross dynamic, ross always sitting on the perimeter
    someone call me when we get to see a derozan dish to ross dunk

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    DD is drawing doubles now
    but casey doesnt run any plays to take advantage of a dd-ross dynamic, ross always sitting on the perimeter
    someone call me when we get to see a derozan dish to ross dunk
    The DeRozan dish to Ross for the 3 is the play I am more interested in seeing.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    There are so many variables ... but I'd go with minutes as the big comparison.

Eventhough starting seems like more was given to Demar, when is a rookie more likely to get some looks or a role - with the A unit, or a bench mob?

What is of real interest is how TRoss already has signs of so many pieces to his game. He is:

-Arguably the Raptors best 3pt threat (only better % from PG's who may not shoot as often)
    -Able to create his own shot off the dribble. Not much in the lane, but his jumper gets lots of space for what he needs!
    -Gets in the lane for steals, without cheating and giving up blow-bys. Many of his highlights are fast breaks where he created it.

Demar is a good NBA player, and I think his contract is not too far off his value. I do think TRoss is the preferred option of the future if he starts to add some consistency to his game. SG's need to be able to space the floor with shooting.
    100% agree. Which is even more reason why I just fail to understand the logic behind BC's moves.

A) If you're going to re-sign DeRozan for big money immediately, why draft Ross @ #8?

B) If you believe strongly enough in Ross to draft him @ #8, confident that he excells in areas where DeRozan has proven to be consistently weak (ie: 3pt shooting), why hand big money to DeRozan so early into the season (thereby hindering his trade value)?

I too see Ross as a very good, traditional starting SG in the future. I don't see the same skill/killer instinct/upside in DeRozan's game (never have). I thought DeRozan would be a great 6th man, but certainly not at his new $9.5M contract!
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jan 28th, 2013 at 01:04 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bryan has narrow sights when it comes to players, he gets his mind made up, and often it looks like bravado in contract negotiations. Look at me, I am the big guy with the money sack. Which never helps our club, and in the end, even sometimes surprises the players.

As a result, most of the players we go after, never fetch the same value when we need to deal. Hence we get crippled when Bryan's (sarcasm on) "best quality", to correct his mistakes, (which means buying for 125% and selling for 75%) fetches poorer talent with each iteration.

EDIT: His weakness is in transactions, the leakage in asset value is his biggest deficiency as a GM. This club has lost so much on trades, and on so many consecutive occasions, that I would never hire another GM this inept at it, yes he is good speaker and PR person.

I really think he should of been fired on the spot when it became obvious he could not retain Bosh. (regardless what you think of the Bosh getting max, just the fact that that option no longer was there on the table, just disappeared *poof*, should of meant his goose. A franchise can not afford to loose a perennial allstar for nothing.)
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Mon Jan 28th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

Thread Information