Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowry sitting with "back spasms"

Raptors Republic Starter Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowry sitting with "back spasms"

Is it real or is a trade coming ?

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its real and he along with Calderon Bargnani and Ed Davis are listed as prime tradeable assets.

Post Thanks / Like

It's real, he tweaked it against the Cavs.

Problem with Lowry is that he's a little out of shape so these things will always happen to him. I really do think he's actually a decent player who can bring something to this team, much like he did in Memphis early in his career. For some reason, though, it hasn't worked out. My guess is because he's a scorer who has been asked to play a traditional starting NBA point guard, and hasn't made the transition because his instinct is to be a scorer and that's when he's most effective.

This idea that we can turn traditional backup PGs to starting NBA point guards hasn't worked out for us, and even I felt that Lowry would adapt in Toronto and really make a push as a legit NBA point. He hasn't, unfortunately.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    It's real, he tweaked it against the Cavs.

Problem with Lowry is that he's a little out of shape so these things will always happen to him. I really do think he's actually a decent player who can bring something to this team, much like he did in Memphis early in his career. For some reason, though, it hasn't worked out. My guess is because he's a scorer who has been asked to play a traditional starting NBA point guard, and hasn't made the transition because his instinct is to be a scorer and that's when he's most effective.

This idea that we can turn traditional backup PGs to starting NBA point guards hasn't worked out for us, and even I felt that Lowry would adapt in Toronto and really make a push as a legit NBA point. He hasn't, unfortunately.
    If Lowry was handed the offense as a number 1 option (which he should be with this talent-less roster), we'd see the Lowry we saw earlier this season, making his acquisition a steal. I blame the coaching staff for not using Lowry to the best of his abilities.

In a sense, it's the same thing that happened to Turkoglu. You get a point-forward here, and ask him to be a spot-up shooter? Gee, I wonder why he didn't fit very well (aside from his gross lethargy...).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if the raps intend on keeping Lowry which at this point seems doubtfull they need a wing to run the offence through & make plays for others.. lowry can do this but hes more suited for scoring as others have mentioned. someone like Iggy/LBJ/Kobe would be ideal but for obvious reasons thats not happening here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    If Lowry was handed the offense as a number 1 option (which he should be with this talent-less roster), we'd see the Lowry we saw earlier this season, making his acquisition a steal. I blame the coaching staff for not using Lowry to the best of his abilities.

In a sense, it's the same thing that happened to Turkoglu. You get a point-forward here, and ask him to be a spot-up shooter? Gee, I wonder why he didn't fit very well (aside from his gross lethargy...).
    I thought that when he came back he should've been handed back the starting spot. It's not like he was playing poorly when he left, just that the team starting winning some games in his absence which happen to be due to an easier schedule. Calderon was very good in that stretch, but this is what happens every time with whoever PG we bring in: Ford, Jack and now Lowry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    if the raps intend on keeping Lowry which at this point seems doubtfull they need a wing to run the offence through & make plays for others.. lowry can do this but hes more suited for scoring as others have mentioned. someone like Iggy/LBJ/Kobe would be ideal but for obvious reasons thats not happening here.
    You could also surround him with shooters. If you put good shooters on the wings he would have a lot more room to create and make plays off the dribble. As it is, he's playing with guys like Fields and Derozan and Anderson who can't throw it in the ocean.

The problem isn't specific to Lowry, it's about the fact that none of the players on this team fit together or compliment each other's skill sets. This roster is just a ball of popsicle sticks glued together and decorated with tape, gum, paper clips and construction paper. It's a big mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I thought that when he came back he should've been handed back the starting spot. It's not like he was playing poorly when he left, just that the team starting winning some games in his absence which happen to be due to an easier schedule. Calderon was very good in that stretch, but this is what happens every time with whoever PG we bring in: Ford, Jack and now Lowry.
    And then Calderon reverts back to his 'normal' self which we saw last night.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    You could also surround him with shooters. If you put good shooters on the wings he would have a lot more room to create and make plays off the dribble. As it is, he's playing with guys like Fields and Derozan and Anderson who can't throw it in the ocean.

The problem isn't specific to Lowry, it's about the fact that none of the players on this team fit together or compliment each other's skill sets. This roster is just a ball of popsicle sticks glued together and decorated with tape, gum, paper clips and construction paper. It's a big mess.
    No paper mache?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry is a good player, but the Raptors isn't a good fit for him right NOW. But he could fit in well in the future. It all depends who he has to play with... He's only weakness is that he is a bit small, but he compensates it with his bulldog style of play.

He's part of this new breed of PG's that aren't exactly PG's nor SG's, they are just very talented and can score in bunches while also ABLE to run the point. Most prominent would be Westbrook, Rose, Harden etc. Lowry is not as good as these, but has the same kind of game. When surrounded by the right talent, these new-breed PGs become extremely dangerous and valuable to a team.

Lowry needs another guy who can create his own shot on a regular basis. DeRozan isn't that guy, his dribble isn't good enough and his scoring ability isn't consistent enough. Maybe in a year or two it could be Ross, but preferably it should be a SF capable of 20+ ppg. Neither do we have a guy who's an elite scorer in the post/paint, but JV could become that guy in a couple of years.

When you have a guy like Lowry and a couple of other guys able to put up some points on their own (a wing and a big), you have yourself a contender. But when you have a lot of young players with future potential and a bunch of bench veteran players, you'll need someone like Calderon to do all the work of creating points for everybody.

So right now Calderon fits our team better, but if you think that we can acquire a decent SF in near future and Ross + JV develop the way we hope they can, then Lowry is definitely the choice of the future, especially when you consider Calderon's age in another couple of years...

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No paper mache?
    Colangelo traded it for the popsicle sticks

Raptors Republic Rookie Usagi_yo_Jimbo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Lowry for Rubio!

Post Thanks / Like

Early in the season Lowry was putting up some sick statlines, but the team wasn't winning. I have no doubt that Lowry can get his, but that doesn't necessarily make his team better/successful, which I think is the problem with players like him.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

These arguments along the lines of "we-need-this-guy or we-need-that-guy to make Lowry effective", just don't make any sense. First of all, Lowry simply isn't elite enough on offense or defense to start planning your entire roster around. You would just be repeating the exact same mistake you made with Bargs for the last 3+ years with Lowry. Secondly, I thought great players were supposed to make lesser players better, and not vice versa?

Post Thanks / Like

No paper mache?
    Sorry, forgot about Bargnani...

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    These arguments along the lines of "we-need-this-guy or we-need-that-guy to make Lowry effective", just don't make any sense. First of all, Lowry simply isn't elite enough on offense or defense to start planning your entire roster around. You would just be repeating the exact same mistake you made with Bargs for the last 3+ years with Lowry. Secondly, I thought great players were supposed to make lesser players better, and not vice versa?
    +1

So much good in this post (I imagine using Bargnani as a reference will not go over well though.)

This team needs a rebuild. Clean the slate. Don't keep making similar moves as the past. If Lowry gets kept in the process then thats fine, if he doesn't, thats fine to. But this team shouldn't be making personel decisions based on him. They don't need anything specific because they have Lowry, their needs and talents and players they chase should be regardless of Lowry.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Early in the season Lowry was putting up some sick statlines, but the team wasn't winning. I have no doubt that Lowry can get his, but that doesn't necessarily make his team better/successful, which I think is the problem with players like him.
    1st game: Lowry, 6 of 11. Demar 5 of 14, Bargnani, 4 of 15, JV, 6 of 15, Fields, 0 of 6
    2nd game: Lowry, 9 of 19. JV, 1 of 4, Fields, 1 of 4, Calderon, 1 of 5, Bargnani 3 rebs
    Sac, Lowry's biggest game: Lowry, 34 pts, 9 of 20. Bargnani, 3 of 14 3 rebs, Demar 7 of 16, JV, 1 of 4

Why do you think they were losing?

Given Calderon makes other players better, but what if he cant get the ball to the other guys? Can he score on his own? Take his man off the dribble? If his bigs have off nights, can he pick up the slack? The problem with pass first PGs is that precisely, you know theyre going to pass first. Very predictable. And we've seen this the past couple of games, when Jose goes deep in the shot clock because all the other players were heavily defended. Last night Demar had to take 2 i think even 3 end of the clock 3s because Calderon couldnt find anybody to pass to.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Jan 29th, 2013 at 11:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    1st game: Lowry, 6 of 11. Demar 5 of 14, Bargnani, 4 of 15, JV, 6 of 15, Fields, 0 of 6
    2nd game: Lowry, 9 of 19. JV, 1 of 4, Fields, 1 of 4, Calderon, 1 of 5, Bargnani 3 rebs
    Sac, Lowry's biggest game: Lowry, 34 pts, 9 of 20. Bargnani, 3 of 14 3 rebs, Demar 7 of 16, JV, 1 of 4

Why do you think they were losing?
    Enough, enough... make it stop!!! Yikes, those were some UGLY shooting percentages!

Bargnani, DeRozan and Lowry all seem to be inefficient, volume scorers who have severe deficiencies in other parts of their game. Trade 'em all and let a real rebuild begin.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's time for this franchise to use their talent to the best of their abilities. Lowry dropped from a top 10 point guard - underrated mind you - to being a injury-prone, lacking point guard.

Demar played better with an attacking Lowry. The team overall was playing better, with wins and losses are no excuse, but health with other players and on-court chemistry was still being developed. The only time Lowry is being asked to be him, is when this team is down 20+, where they ask him to play your so called 'hero-ball'. We have more losses with Lowry because we ask him to take the burden of bringing our team back in a dead game, which quite frankly doesn't always happen.

I don't want Lowry traded, I want the coach fired if the players aren't used to the best of their abilities. It's a little sad, but Triano was pretty good at trying to get development for the young players, and they all continued to get better. This example same goes for Ross who doesn't play extended minutes, and Ed Davis who is on the FUCKING bench near the end of games...

Lowry was Lowry when the season started, now Casey calls Lowry; Lowry w/ a pinch of Jose. I love Jose, but we aren't going to get anywhere with him at the helm of our team for the future.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Enough, enough... make it stop!!! Yikes, those were some UGLY shooting percentages!

Bargnani, DeRozan and Lowry all seem to be inefficient, volume scorers who have severe deficiencies in other parts of their game. Trade 'em all and let a real rebuild begin.
    hahahaha

I think its fairly obvious that im a Lowry fan, even during his Memphis and Houston days. The guy goes all out, balls out when he plays. It may have disadvantages but IMO those are highly outweighed by what he brings to the table.

I say let him play his game, get talent with (not around) him and see what he can do. Its his first year on a team that has no identity plus he essentially entered a situation that he just left with his former team (PG controversy). Really doesnt help the guy out positively.

The problem is, the team keeps coddling Jose when there is a PG controversy, and where has Jose taken this team? How bout letting Jose get the ugly brunt of the PG controversy stick this time and let the other guy win for a change. Cant get any worse.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Jan 29th, 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information