Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowry sitting with "back spasms"

Is it real or is a trade coming ?

Its real and he along with Calderon Bargnani and Ed Davis are listed as prime tradeable assets.

Comment

It's real, he tweaked it against the Cavs.

Problem with Lowry is that he's a little out of shape so these things will always happen to him. I really do think he's actually a decent player who can bring something to this team, much like he did in Memphis early in his career. For some reason, though, it hasn't worked out. My guess is because he's a scorer who has been asked to play a traditional starting NBA point guard, and hasn't made the transition because his instinct is to be a scorer and that's when he's most effective.

This idea that we can turn traditional backup PGs to starting NBA point guards hasn't worked out for us, and even I felt that Lowry would adapt in Toronto and really make a push as a legit NBA point. He hasn't, unfortunately.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
        It's real, he tweaked it against the Cavs.

Problem with Lowry is that he's a little out of shape so these things will always happen to him. I really do think he's actually a decent player who can bring something to this team, much like he did in Memphis early in his career. For some reason, though, it hasn't worked out. My guess is because he's a scorer who has been asked to play a traditional starting NBA point guard, and hasn't made the transition because his instinct is to be a scorer and that's when he's most effective.

This idea that we can turn traditional backup PGs to starting NBA point guards hasn't worked out for us, and even I felt that Lowry would adapt in Toronto and really make a push as a legit NBA point. He hasn't, unfortunately.
        If Lowry was handed the offense as a number 1 option (which he should be with this talent-less roster), we'd see the Lowry we saw earlier this season, making his acquisition a steal. I blame the coaching staff for not using Lowry to the best of his abilities.

In a sense, it's the same thing that happened to Turkoglu. You get a point-forward here, and ask him to be a spot-up shooter? Gee, I wonder why he didn't fit very well (aside from his gross lethargy...).

Comment

if the raps intend on keeping Lowry which at this point seems doubtfull they need a wing to run the offence through & make plays for others.. lowry can do this but hes more suited for scoring as others have mentioned. someone like Iggy/LBJ/Kobe would be ideal but for obvious reasons thats not happening here.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            If Lowry was handed the offense as a number 1 option (which he should be with this talent-less roster), we'd see the Lowry we saw earlier this season, making his acquisition a steal. I blame the coaching staff for not using Lowry to the best of his abilities.

In a sense, it's the same thing that happened to Turkoglu. You get a point-forward here, and ask him to be a spot-up shooter? Gee, I wonder why he didn't fit very well (aside from his gross lethargy...).
            I thought that when he came back he should've been handed back the starting spot. It's not like he was playing poorly when he left, just that the team starting winning some games in his absence which happen to be due to an easier schedule. Calderon was very good in that stretch, but this is what happens every time with whoever PG we bring in: Ford, Jack and now Lowry.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
              if the raps intend on keeping Lowry which at this point seems doubtfull they need a wing to run the offence through & make plays for others.. lowry can do this but hes more suited for scoring as others have mentioned. someone like Iggy/LBJ/Kobe would be ideal but for obvious reasons thats not happening here.
              You could also surround him with shooters. If you put good shooters on the wings he would have a lot more room to create and make plays off the dribble. As it is, he's playing with guys like Fields and Derozan and Anderson who can't throw it in the ocean.

The problem isn't specific to Lowry, it's about the fact that none of the players on this team fit together or compliment each other's skill sets. This roster is just a ball of popsicle sticks glued together and decorated with tape, gum, paper clips and construction paper. It's a big mess.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                I thought that when he came back he should've been handed back the starting spot. It's not like he was playing poorly when he left, just that the team starting winning some games in his absence which happen to be due to an easier schedule. Calderon was very good in that stretch, but this is what happens every time with whoever PG we bring in: Ford, Jack and now Lowry.
                And then Calderon reverts back to his 'normal' self which we saw last night.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  You could also surround him with shooters. If you put good shooters on the wings he would have a lot more room to create and make plays off the dribble. As it is, he's playing with guys like Fields and Derozan and Anderson who can't throw it in the ocean.

The problem isn't specific to Lowry, it's about the fact that none of the players on this team fit together or compliment each other's skill sets. This roster is just a ball of popsicle sticks glued together and decorated with tape, gum, paper clips and construction paper. It's a big mess.
                  No paper mache?

Comment

Lowry is a good player, but the Raptors isn't a good fit for him right NOW. But he could fit in well in the future. It all depends who he has to play with... He's only weakness is that he is a bit small, but he compensates it with his bulldog style of play.

He's part of this new breed of PG's that aren't exactly PG's nor SG's, they are just very talented and can score in bunches while also ABLE to run the point. Most prominent would be Westbrook, Rose, Harden etc. Lowry is not as good as these, but has the same kind of game. When surrounded by the right talent, these new-breed PGs become extremely dangerous and valuable to a team.

Lowry needs another guy who can create his own shot on a regular basis. DeRozan isn't that guy, his dribble isn't good enough and his scoring ability isn't consistent enough. Maybe in a year or two it could be Ross, but preferably it should be a SF capable of 20+ ppg. Neither do we have a guy who's an elite scorer in the post/paint, but JV could become that guy in a couple of years.

When you have a guy like Lowry and a couple of other guys able to put up some points on their own (a wing and a big), you have yourself a contender. But when you have a lot of young players with future potential and a bunch of bench veteran players, you'll need someone like Calderon to do all the work of creating points for everybody.

So right now Calderon fits our team better, but if you think that we can acquire a decent SF in near future and Ross + JV develop the way we hope they can, then Lowry is definitely the choice of the future, especially when you consider Calderon's age in another couple of years...

Comment

No paper mache?
                      Colangelo traded it for the popsicle sticks

Comment

Trade Lowry for Rubio!

Comment

Early in the season Lowry was putting up some sick statlines, but the team wasn't winning. I have no doubt that Lowry can get his, but that doesn't necessarily make his team better/successful, which I think is the problem with players like him.

Comment

These arguments along the lines of "we-need-this-guy or we-need-that-guy to make Lowry effective", just don't make any sense. First of all, Lowry simply isn't elite enough on offense or defense to start planning your entire roster around. You would just be repeating the exact same mistake you made with Bargs for the last 3+ years with Lowry. Secondly, I thought great players were supposed to make lesser players better, and not vice versa?

Comment

No paper mache?
                              Sorry, forgot about Bargnani...

Comment

Working...
                              X