Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lowry sitting with "back spasms"

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    These arguments along the lines of "we-need-this-guy or we-need-that-guy to make Lowry effective", just don't make any sense. First of all, Lowry simply isn't elite enough on offense or defense to start planning your entire roster around. You would just be repeating the exact same mistake you made with Bargs for the last 3+ years with Lowry. Secondly, I thought great players were supposed to make lesser players better, and not vice versa?
    It's not the argument, it's more like a fortunate by-product of doing this very good thing for the franchise and it doesn't stop there. Adding Gay will make pretty much everyone else on the team better, except for I guess the dudes that he will replace (Fields, Kleiza, Anderson).

This is nothing like building around Bargnani. With Bargnani we had to acquire players who were fundamentally flawed in order to make up for Bargs deficiencies, which were a-plenty.

Edit: It's quite possible I'm in the wrong thread..
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

These arguments along the lines of "we-need-this-guy or we-need-that-guy to make Lowry effective", just don't make any sense. First of all, Lowry simply isn't elite enough on offense or defense to start planning your entire roster around. You would just be repeating the exact same mistake you made with Bargs for the last 3+ years with Lowry. Secondly, I thought great players were supposed to make lesser players better, and not vice versa?
    I dont believe that the Raps need to acquire certain types of players to make Lowry effective. IMO, let Lowry play his game and that will make him effective. Stop trying to mold him into something he's not, something that the Raptors are NOTORIOUS for doing, i.e. Bargnani, Turk, Bosh, Bayless.

I agree with this, you dont plan your roster around him, but rather with him. I agree that this was a big mistake they did with Bargnani and Bosh and i hope they dont ever try that again, unless they get a Lebron or Durant type player.

Lowry is not a great player, but rather IMO, a very good, way above average player. And thats also been a problem for the Raps, holding on to "lesser players" as you say and passing them off as very good players. With or without Lowry, the Raptors shouldnt be pinning their hopes on a player trying to make other players better, they should get players who can play on their own, and not always wait for a pass.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Early in the season Lowry was putting up some sick statlines, but the team wasn't winning. I have no doubt that Lowry can get his, but that doesn't necessarily make his team better/successful, which I think is the problem with players like him.
    You're right, the team wasn't winning (ignoring the fact that it was early, the roster was brand new, and very little chemistry existed in general). But I'm referring to a situation where the team is blown up, guys like DeRozan, Bargnani, Calderon, Kleiza, and one of Amir/Davis are shipped, and players that fit a ball-dominant PG's style are brought in.

There's no denying Lowry's talent. It's his decision-making that needs work. IMO, that's still salvageable.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    You're right, the team wasn't winning (ignoring the fact that it was early, the roster was brand new, and very little chemistry existed in general). But I'm referring to a situation where the team is blown up, guys like DeRozan, Bargnani, Calderon, Kleiza, and one of Amir/Davis are shipped, and players that fit a ball-dominant PG's style are brought in.

There's no denying Lowry's talent. It's his decision-making that needs work. IMO, that's still salvageable.
    I don't deny his talent, but I've been quite disappointed with him overall. His defense has not been anything close to what I was expecting (far from a lock-down defender at the PG position), his scoring has been inconsistent and I haven't been impressed with his attitude. My biggest fear is that he not only wants to win, but wants to win while being the focal point of the team. I'm concerned that whether it's Bargnani/DeRozan, or Rudy Gay or whoever else, that Lowry won't be happy being anything but the #1 guy.

I'm just weighing the options. Yes he's good and young and cheap and could blossom into something amazing. Or he could become a more talented Bayless 2.0. Unless you're feeling 90%+ that it's going to be option 1, then it might make sense to explore the option of trading him now, before the shine wears off his reputation and before he signs a hefty new contract.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    And then Calderon reverts back to his 'normal' self which we saw last night.
    That seems a bit unfair. He has played very well for an extended period of time. He didn't have a great shooting night and made a few bad decisions, don't think it is necessary to throw him under the bus for a bad game. What aren't you throwing the guys who missed all their shots under the bus as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Enough, enough... make it stop!!! Yikes, those were some UGLY shooting percentages!

Bargnani, DeRozan and Lowry all seem to be inefficient, volume scorers who have severe deficiencies in other parts of their game. Trade 'em all and let a real rebuild begin.
    Funny thing is, Lowry's TS% this season is the highest of his career. So, if you think this is inefficient, well, management had the data showing it would almost assuredly be worse.

Post Thanks / Like

My point is more this: why trade a lottery pick for a guy in his prime with 2 years left on his deal if you aren't going to use him properly or play him in a system that benefits him? You aren't going to change a guy like Lowry. He is what he is. Lowry is, in fact, playing some of the best ball of his career and no one is happy with him. That's fine but it makes you wonder what the hell Colangelo was thinking when he did this deal in the first place.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry is a proven player in this league. Lets not compare him to Jerryd Bayless.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't deny his talent, but I've been quite disappointed with him overall. His defense has not been anything close to what I was expecting (far from a lock-down defender at the PG position), his scoring has been inconsistent and I haven't been impressed with his attitude. My biggest fear is that he not only wants to win, but wants to win while being the focal point of the team. I'm concerned that whether it's Bargnani/DeRozan, or Rudy Gay or whoever else, that Lowry won't be happy being anything but the #1 guy.

I'm just weighing the options. Yes he's good and young and cheap and could blossom into something amazing. Or he could become a more talented Bayless 2.0. Unless you're feeling 90%+ that it's going to be option 1, then it might make sense to explore the option of trading him now, before the shine wears off his reputation and before he signs a hefty new contract.
    I've been disappointed too, and I'm not at all opposed to trading him.

But I'm also very intrigued by a Lowry/Gay reunion.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    That seems a bit unfair. He has played very well for an extended period of time. He didn't have a great shooting night and made a few bad decisions, don't think it is necessary to throw him under the bus for a bad game. What aren't you throwing the guys who missed all their shots under the bus as well.
    You don't recall Calderon's play after he 'won' the faceoff with TJ, Jack, and Lowry?

Cut. The. Cord.

Moving. On.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie serbiantiger8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Would anyone be interested in acquiring Eric Bledsoe as our main point guard in the future? I think we have some pieces that could maybe work, it's really stretching it, but it's still a possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote serbiantiger8 wrote: View Post
    Would anyone be interested in acquiring Eric Bledsoe as our main point guard in the future? I think we have some pieces that could maybe work, it's really stretching it, but it's still a possibility.
    Not as long as CP3 does not have an extension signed.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    You don't recall Calderon's play after he 'won' the faceoff with TJ, Jack, and Lowry?

Cut. The. Cord.

Moving. On.
    Further to this, Calderon's value around the league on full display:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

In engagement of 3rd teams for possible Rudy Gay-to-Toronto deal, Raptors struggling to find landing spot for Jose Calderon, sources tell Y!
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Further to this, Calderon's value around the league on full display:
    I think he has value, just not at $10.6M, without giving back any big/bad contracts.

I could still see any trade for Gay evolving to include a team like the Lakers (which might bring another team if Toronto doesn't want Gasol) or Boston, as potential ultimate landing spots for Calderon. I don't see many other likely teams.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he has value, just not at $10.6M, without giving back any big/bad contracts.

I could still see any trade for Gay evolving to include a team like the Lakers (which might bring another team if Toronto doesn't want Gasol) or Boston, as potential ultimate landing spots for Calderon. I don't see many other likely teams.
    Calderon's contract is over half paid now.

Lets not kid ourselves on Jose's value. Just like Bargnani, everyone knows what he is. The difference is Raptor fans continue to think he has much more value than he actually does.

The problem is whatever team takes Jose will be sending assets to Memphis. Memphis is going to want to stay as competitive or more competitive with a stronger bench/rotation.

The Lakers have no assets to trade.
    The Celtics assets are likely of little interest to Memphis.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    My point is more this: why trade a lottery pick for a guy in his prime with 2 years left on his deal if you aren't going to use him properly or play him in a system that benefits him? You aren't going to change a guy like Lowry. He is what he is. Lowry is, in fact, playing some of the best ball of his career and no one is happy with him. That's fine but it makes you wonder what the hell Colangelo was thinking when he did this deal in the first place.
    We may not agree on Gay, but we're definitely on the same page with Lowry. We've all seen what he can do when he plays his game, why change that???? Casey isnt satisfied with 8 asts per game?? Common now.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets not kid ourselves on Jose's value. Just like Bargnani, everyone knows what he is. The difference is Raptor fans continue to think he has much more value than he actually does.

The problem is whatever team takes Jose will be sending assets to Memphis. Memphis is going to want to stay as competitive or more competitive with a stronger bench/rotation.

Jose fans will now say us who like Lowry overvalue Lowry in the same manner.

How is it different?

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

well it appears the raps are now looking for a third team to take Jose to complete a GAY trade..

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Take_Calderon

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/stat...27658822840320

if this is true maybe Jose's value will soon be seen, it seems there struggling to find a taker for jose
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Tue Jan 29th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant that more from a salary-matching perspective in trade, as opposed to actual dollar value.

If the Raps are gung-ho to make a trade and Calderon isn't generating enough return, I could see them turning to Lowry as the trade asset instead.

I actually thought that Memphis might value decent young players on super cheap contracts, that Boston could offer (Sullinger, Bradley, Melo). Davis & Sullinger could be good insurance for Gasol & Randolph. Such a deal would also make Arthur expendable, possibly to be used in a subsequent trade for a wing (ie: I wonder if Arthur to Denver for Chandler could work for both Denver & Memphis).
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jan 29th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Jose fans will now say us who like Lowry overvalue Lowry in the same manner.

How is it different?
    Trump card: Jose has been on the block for 3-4 years and has led Toronto nowhere.
    Tim Leiweke

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information