Chris Bosh says "I'm a Hall of Famer"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    The gall of this guy. Not that I even put much stalk in the Hall of Fame anyway, considering that guys like Michael Jordan and Bill Walton are technically in the same group. Adding Chris Bosh to that list will basically soil everyone else. Have tiers in the Hall of Fame is what I say, it's controversial but at least it'll make more sense.
    I don't know...this would kind of assume the people visiting wouldn't be able to tell that Jordan and Walton aren't the same....Any bball fan that stupid...don't know if tiers/groups will help

Comment

When you think of people in his position in the Hall Of fame how does Bosh compare to Charles Barkley Moses Malone and the shoe in of the greatest PF ever in Tim Duncan the big fundamental/mr fundamental. Bosh is getting ahead of himself.

Bosh is playing with 2 franchise guys so his getting in is another part of him riding the Lebron and D Wade junk.

Lol that awkward moment when the media doesnt give a shit about you

Comment

I mean, Dennis freakin Johnson is in the HOF...was he a great defensive player, standout 2 guard and key player in Boston's success? Yes....but it's about the same as Eddie Jones being voted in, but he never will because he was never part of a dynasty. The fact alone that Bosh is playing in Miami with Bron Bron and D-Wade will probably get him in because they've won a ring...and definitely get him in if they keep even just making finals appearances.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
          When you think of people in his position in the Hall Of fame how does Bosh compare to Charles Barkley Moses Malone and the shoe in of the greatest PF ever in Tim Duncan the big fundamental/mr fundamental. Bosh is getting ahead of himself.

Bosh is playing with 2 franchise guys so his getting in is another part of him riding the Lebron and D Wade junk.

thats pretty funny.. i dont think ive ever heard a press room soo quiet LOL

if he ever makes the hall i hope the media give him the same treatment
          Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Remember guys...it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Worth

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post

hahahhahaaha that was ugly!!!!

the only question you get is, "how did you pinch your neck?" ouch.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Remember guys...it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Worth
                Actually, good one.

Fame - The condition of being known or talked about by many people, esp. on account of notable achievements.

Notable - Worthy of attention or notice, remarkable

I guess Bosh does qualify. Words like excellence, elite, top, greatest were clearly not associated with Fame.

haha jab!

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                  Althought I agree with your original post, i couldve advised you not to have posted this. youve made a good point but desperately defended it by spewing negativity in an obvious sign of surrender and desperation.
                  That's totally fair. It's just a real sore point with me how we treat pro athletes and hold them to higher standards than we do anyone else in the public eye. Even our politicians get more leeway than pro athletes in terms of the way they structure their responses (not to mention less air time, sadly). The result is that you get guys spewing out the same cliche'd bullshit every day because they're afraid to speak their minds and get roasted (resulting in moments like Sheed's 'both teams played hard' post-game). Bosh isn't afraid of that and I give him a lot of credit for it.

I just really wish people had the media savvy to be able to understand that most of the time the idea behind the statement is far, far more important than the way it gets spoken, then quoted and framed. Again, after years of sorting through reality TV interviews, I know how the deception of soundbites works better than most, and I cringe at how little people understand how it has ruined the way we perceive anyone in the public eye. Nobody ever gives a good answer the first time unless that answer is canned or they were expecting the question.

edit: Just remembered a great example, which especially relates to the idea of confidence in athletes. Remember when guys like Barkley were slamming Dirk for saying that someone did a good job on him defensively? I don't remember the specifics, just that the media pundits slammed him for not giving the typical 'he can't guard me, I just missed shots' response that would suggest he thought he was unguardable. We want guys to be humble but we want them to be unrealistically egotistical and self-confident at the same time, which is a complete contradiction. It makes no sense. Where's the line between self-confident and delusional?
                  Last edited by Lark Benson; Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                    the miami air must be mixed with 95% pure columbian yayo.. first bosh with the hall of fame crap, now i just read Mario Chalmers thinks hes a top 10 PG LOL that is one ego driven team!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/chalmers-r...op-ten-of-pgs/
                    If Mario chalmers is a top 10 pg, then I'm the queen of england

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                      That's totally fair. It's just a real sore point with me how we treat pro athletes and hold them to higher standards than we do anyone else in the public eye. Even our politicians get more leeway than pro athletes in terms of the way they structure their responses (not to mention less air time, sadly). The result is that you get guys spewing out the same cliche'd bullshit every day because they're afraid to speak their minds and get roasted (resulting in moments like Sheed's 'both teams played hard' post-game). Bosh isn't afraid of that and I give him a lot of credit for it.
                      is it really unfair to hold them to a higher public standard? part of their job is public relations. bosh himself has publicly talked about the importance of his "brand". in a sense, a good chunk of his job is molding public perception of him.

long gone are the days when a basketball player's job is basketball, and basketball alone. marketability is quickly becoming a bigger component of a players success.

i'm not saying i agree with it.... but that's just the truth of the sport today.

but, really, is that any different than the rest of us?

i know when i'm dealing with clients, i can't drop F bombs every other sentence. When somebody asks me "how have things been with you lately?", i DO NOT under any circumstances answer them honestly. the reality is, unless you work some joe job, in a warehouse, or cleaning toilets, how you present yourself professionally is distinctly different from how you are outside of your career.

if a client called me and asked me how i was, and i answered him "buddy.. i'm the best this place has... no question about it... they don't give out employee of the month awards here, because they were sick of giving it to me every single time"... i guarantee that client would think i was a douche.

so is it really unfair to hold these athletes to the same standard when they're dealing with the media and/or the public?

behind closed doors.... for sure, he can go ahead and do whatever he wants... hell, if i had his salary i would be a pompous jackass in my own home... im almost there already and i'm still poor

i agree there's nothing worse than cookie cutter canned responses to questions... but breaking the mold doesn't have to mean being a dick

Comment

Bosh is a VERY good player to have on a team but not a player a team should be built around. The truth is, if and when he is considered for the HOF, only numbers and all star appearances will be taken into consideration. By that he probably qualifies.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                          is it really unfair to hold them to a higher public standard? part of their job is public relations. bosh himself has publicly talked about the importance of his "brand". in a sense, a good chunk of his job is molding public perception of him.
                          It absolutely is unfair. Sports is an entertainment industry. It is not public service or civil service, or anything else representative of a significant public trust, and yet we treat it that way, as we do all celebrities, because somehow we care more what they have to say than we do real experts on the topic. And yet we allow politicians to lie to us daily without consequence, we swallow news reports without asking questions or digging deeper, etc. Why are the people who SHOULD be held to a higher standard allowed to lie to us without consequence while we get all riled up about a bit of arrogance from a professional athlete? It's a bizarre society-wide case of confused priorities.

As for Bosh's brand, honesty IS his brand. Has been for years now. Some people like it, clearly many don't. But at the end of the day, that's his job outside of basketball. He gets paid by his team to play, and to make the necessary public appearances, post-game interviews, etc. How he chooses to represent himself is his choice obviously, and you can hate him all you want for it. But when you're analyzing his comments about his hall-of-fame validity, you're crossing a line when you mix in your personal feelings about his personality with cold, hard basketball fact (or in this case opinion since this is all future speculative). You can call him a douche for it all you like, I couldn't care less about that. But to expect athletes to be both uber-confident and humble at the same time is an absurd double standard.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                            It absolutely is unfair. Sports is an entertainment industry. It is not public service or civil service, or anything else representative of a significant public trust, and yet we treat it that way, as we do all celebrities, because somehow we care more what they have to say than we do real experts on the topic. And yet we allow politicians to lie to us daily without consequence, we swallow news reports without asking questions or digging deeper, etc. Why are the people who SHOULD be held to a higher standard allowed to lie to us without consequence while we get all riled up about a bit of arrogance from a professional athlete? It's a bizarre society-wide case of confused priorities.

As for Bosh's brand, honesty IS his brand. Has been for years now. Some people like it, clearly many don't. But at the end of the day, that's his job outside of basketball. He gets paid by his team to play, and to make the necessary public appearances, post-game interviews, etc. How he chooses to represent himself is his choice obviously, and you can hate him all you want for it. But when you're analyzing his comments about his hall-of-fame validity, you're crossing a line when you mix in your personal feelings about his personality with cold, hard basketball fact (or in this case opinion since this is all future speculative). You can call him a douche for it all you like, I couldn't care less about that. But to expect athletes to be both uber-confident and humble at the same time is an absurd double standard.
                            it's not about public service, but public perception. He chose a career that puts him in the public eye. In that regard, he's responsible for the things he says in public, and the ramifications of what he says. So if he says something blatantly narcissistic to the media, then he's at fault for people thinking he has his head up his own ass.

i agree with you on politicians though, but that's a conversation for a different place and forum.

Comment

What I think Lark is saying - and I totally agree - is that the public is as much responsible for how they interpret his comments as he is for making them. You only see narcissism if you want to. He is only directly responsible for the things that come out of his mouth; how you interpret it is your responsibility. It's a fine line to draw.

Comment

The telegenic Chris Bosh.....

http://nba.si.com/2013/01/30/chris-b...b-white-house/

Comment

Working...
                                X