This abusive relationship ends today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sig wrote: View Post
    Speak for yourself. I'd be willing to bet that most of the people on here love the trade.

Not to mention all the casual fans and 12 year old boys that love watching highlight reel dunks.
    Highlight reels are nice but a winning record is better.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      You mean after Iguodala got away with a foul on Paul George?????
      Or you mean OJ Mayo not getting the call in Dallas....?????
      http://www.nba.com/2013/news/01/30/n....ap/index.html

It has nothing to do with who our team's got....it has everything to do with NBA refs sucking
      Fans should bring signs to the game "are NBA refs anti-Canadian?"

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
        so the jury is out on JV and TR already? I havent seen anything special from them yet.
        They haven't signed extensions yet so everyone wants to keep them.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          No, it doesn't prove your point, wtf are you talking about? Your argument was that Iguodala got a call because he was a star. Well, George is a star, and young usually trumps old in the NBA, unless you're Kobe or Duncan. George and Indiana were robbed of the game. They deserved to win, not Iggy and Denver.
          As for Mayo, he's a way bigger name than Price, and Portland got the benefit of the call on a block/charge. By your initial logic, Mayo should have gotten the whistle as he was clearly the bigger name/star in that play...so why did they give it to Portland?
          If you're LeBron or Kobe, or KD or Melo, you will get calls. But guys like George, Mayo, Demar....2nd and 3rd tier stars who deserve calls at time but don't get them. So my point is, who you are has nothing to do with what call you get. Refs make bad calls for no real reason. And Raps fans should know that as VINCE NEVER GOT A STAR WHISTLE while he was here, and he was the most popular player in the world for some of that time. NBA refs suck. Star calls happen, but Demar's call had nothing to do with who he was. Mayo and George were my examples to support that it doesn't matter who you are, if the refs don't want to make the call, they won't. And they're either not making it because they don't see it, which is terrible, or they are choosing to ignore a game-deciding play...which is even worse....
          I guess it becomes subjective when we start talking about stars because to me, Igoudala is still "the" star compared to George. Youre defining George as a star just because he made the all-star team? How do you define George as a "star" when Iguodala has been an all-star, all-NBA defensive team, rookie game MVP and olympian gold medalist. When youre the referee and you see Iguodala and George collide in the air, and youve been a referee for many years in the league, who do you think would be more familiar to you?

And Young trumps old? So you think Kyrie will get a call over Lebron? Or Cousins over Aldridge? If that was the case then why didnt Demar get the call over Horford?

And thats exactly my point, Indiana deserved to win but refs gave Iguodala the star call, same with Demar, the Raptors deserved that shot to win but because Demar isnt considered a "star" in the league, he didnt get the call. What im implying is right or wrong, if you are a "star" you will get the benefit of the call, deserving or not.

Its not about name, its earning your dues in the league. Mayo didnt get a call because he's not a star. what has he earned? again, deserving or not is not what im getting at, he's not a star so he wont get calls in situations like that.

You just said "If you're LeBron or Kobe, or KD or Melo, you will get calls." and then you say "So my point is, who you are has nothing to do with what call you get." then "Star calls happen" Im a bit confused. I think the difference in our argument is that youre saying the the refs blow the whistle for stars, and when they dont, its just because they missed a call. But IMO, if youre a star, you get calls plus the non-calls, if that non-call is to your team's advantage.

I disagree. Vince got a lot of whistles. He went to the line almost 7 times a game when he was in Toronto and almost 8 times a game when he went to Jersey. Comparable to Bryant at that time.

I know people say referees are human, etc etc but theyre always, always at a position to see the play, thats their job. Its instinctive to them, so when they miss a call, specially a very very crucial call, IMO, its because they decide not to call it, not because they missed it.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
            Nobody--but nobody--thinks this trade is a good idea. I won't even go into the reasons, because it's just so obvious.
            I guess I'm a Nobody.

That being said, there are a number of reasons why this trade had to happen, or needed to happen (IMO):

1) Jose was most likely gone at the end of the season, if Raps couldn't pull the trigger on a trade. Just making a trade to get something back, would've [probably] meant 10 million (or thereabouts) coming back to T.O. As such, this trade could boil down to Ed Davis for Rudy Gay. I think I'm okay with that.

2) Ed Davis is a great Bench player, but from the way some U.S. media types are describing him, Ed is God's gift to basketball. They might as well shout out: "Only a matter of time before Davis is an All-Star". To make their point, these Analysts turned their focus to Offensive numbers. And efficiency.

Rudy Gay gets double coverage. Ed Davis gets double coverage when he's sitting down on the Bench (with one guy on either side of him). Rudy Gay has made some Clutch shots. Ed Davis is a great Rebounder, but his Defensive abilities are over-stated. In Net Points per Possession, there is a 7.2 differential - in favour of Rudy Gay.

Rudy Gay - 82games

Ed Davis - 82games

3) CANADA - This is the biggest impediment to attracting talented Free Agents. Or keeping them for that matter. I think we're being delusional, in not seeing the difficulty here. As Hedo demonstrated, the only way to get them, is to OUT-BID everyone else. While on the Turkaglu thing, what screwed up that endeavour, was Toronto trying to change him from a Point-Forward to a spot-up Shooter - a result of the fact that Raps had Jack & Jose fighting over PG duties, and ball distribution. Take Jack out of the picture, and the rein of Hedo might've been different in T.O.

Okay ... maybe not.

4) Bill Simmons tweet - "Automated Hollinger saying Human Hollinger's trade w/ Toronto made Toronto 6 wins worse". According to Hollinger numbers, Andrea Bargnani (prior to this season), had a PER of 15.6 (2009-10), 16.5 (2010-11), and 18.0 (2011-12). One minute Hollinger is being referenced for a suitable statistic, then next he's being dismissed, because AB is not an above average player. As they say, you can't suck and blow at the same time.

5) Ed was sold high. Jose was sold simply because Raps had no guarantee that he would return. Actually, maybe BC was already aware of what was going to happen. As to Rudy, I think we bought low.

So there ... an opinion from a Nobody.

Side note - Add reffing to the Canadian equation. NBA Players don't want to play for Toronto, and Refs don't want too either.

Think about that. lol
            Last edited by RapthoseLeafs; Thu Jan 31, 2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X