Toronto-Utah-Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto-Utah-Minnesota

ESPN Trade Machine Link: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bawq6g6

Utah - swap a PF on his way out for a good, young wing that they desperately need

Minnesota - want Williams out nearly as badly as Toronto wants Bargnani out, while Ridnour is their 4th PG; low-risk gamble to see if change of scenery can benefit Bargnani

Toronto - are deep at wings and DeRozan is poor fit with Gay, so they acquire a legit starting PF, a solid backup PG and a backup tweener forward

I think it would benefit all three teams and seems to be fairly realistic. Toronto could also flip a 2nd round pick to one/both teams if need be, to further sweeten the pot.

Toronto Lineup
    C: Valanciunas, Gray
    PF: Millsap, Johnson, Acy
    SF: Gay, Anderson, Williams, Kleiza
    SG: Fields, Ross, Pietrus
    PG: Lowry, Ridnour, Lucas

Pietrus - will walk after the season
    Kleiza - will likely be amnestied after the season, if not traded

Anderson - I would look to trade him at deadline for pick(s), letting Williams slide into the backup SF position, while returning asset(s) for an overachieving 30+ veteran on a cheap, expiring contract
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:33 AM.

What a fantasy trade. WOW. Too bad it's too good to be true.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I don't see a point in getting Williams anymore as a SF. We're already really deep in our wing positions, so no need. I much rather try to solidify our front court. I like the idea of getting Millsap though.

Comment

My thought about Williams was two-fold

1. Minnesota would need to include 1 of Williams, Pekovic or Roy, in order to make finances balance. My assumption was that they would want to keep Pekovic the most, so Toronto would have to take either Williams or Roy.

2. If the Raptors trade DeRozan and Anderson, let Pietrus walk and amnesty Kleiza, they'd only have 3 wings under contract for next season - Gay, Ross and Fields. Given point #1, I thought that Williams would be a low-risk/high-reward backup SF. His contract is guaranteed next season, but it's a team option for '14-15 and then a qualifying offer for '15-16, meaning he could be considered an expiring contract next season.

Another option, to make it more favorable to Minnesota, would be for Toronto to take Roy instead of Williams and hope he retires.

Comment

Working...
        X