No announcement yet.

CNNSI Grades the same as ESPN C- for Raps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salary is one thing. Duplication is another.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Ross was an untouchable in the negotiations. I think that says it all.

DeRozan is odd man out. Problem I have saying that is I don't know if I think that is real or hope it is real.
    At the cost of sounding like a broken record, DeRozan's extension sticks out a lot more than Gay's annual salary. Derozan (rookie deal) and Bargnani would've been attractive enough for many teams around the league.

Of note, DD got stripped / lost the ball last night at least 3 times including the last play prior to getting fouled under the basket.

#tradederozannow
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Best case scenario would be get a top 3 pick and then make the playoffs from here to eternity, no?
      Touche. Sadly we aren't that bad. Realistic best case scenario? 9th. Pipe-Dream Best Case Scenario. Trade Bargnani for a lottery pick, get lucky in the lottery, win the top 2 picks and start a new dynasty.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        You say written off this season, but I am curious as to where they will finish. Can Gay boost them into the 8th seed? Best case scenario is still to finish 9th and give OKC the pick in my opinion.
        I think it'll take at least 10-15 games for this Lowry-Gay dynamic to really develop together. We'll be in too big of a hole to start playing "catchup" in March.

I just hope Colangelo can eliminate some of the remaining roster redundancy (DeRozan, Fields, Anderson), and rid ourselves of Bargnani and Kleiza.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I think it'll take at least 10-15 games for this Lowry-Gay dynamic to really develop together. We'll be in too big of a hole to start playing "catchup" in March.

I just hope Colangelo can eliminate some of the remaining roster redundancy (DeRozan, Fields, Anderson), and rid ourselves of Bargnani and Kleiza.
          I agree that Bargnani and Anderson need to go by the deadline.

Kleiza could just as well be kept and then amnestied in the offseason.

DeRozan could also be kept and then traded in the offseason. I like Matt's idea of a S&T with Utah for Millsap, which would remove the uncertainty surrounding a trade for Millsap at the deadline.

I actually think Fields would be a good fit on this roster, assuming DeRozan, Anderson, Kleiza and Pietrus are all gone come the start of next year. A wing rotation of Gay, Ross and Fields would be pretty well balanced. A young wing, acquired either in trade, free agency or draft, could then slot into the 4th wing spot.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I actually think Fields would be a good fit on this roster, assuming DeRozan, Anderson, Kleiza and Pietrus are all gone come the start of next year. A wing rotation of Gay, Ross and Fields would be pretty well balanced. A young wing, acquired either in trade, free agency or draft, could then slot into the 4th wing spot.
            I'd be fine with either Fields or Anderson as our backup SG/SF next season (although I'd prefer to rid ourselves of Fields' contract).

Comment

I'd be fine with either Fields or Anderson as our backup SG/SF next season (although I'd prefer to rid ourselves of Fields' contract).
              How much do you think Anderson would demand to re-sign though? I'm expecting he'd want a raise of some sort, which would make the gap between their contracts suddently not so big. Fields is much younger and probably much less tradeable.

For me it makes sense to keep Fields and hope he continues to improve, while trading Anderson on a <$1M expiring contract when his value is peaked. Even if the Raps can only get a 2nd round pick for him, I would support such a move.

Comment

How much do you think Anderson would demand to re-sign though? I'm expecting he'd want a raise of some sort, which would make the gap between their contracts suddently not so big. Fields is much younger and probably much less tradeable.

For me it makes sense to keep Fields and hope he continues to improve, while trading Anderson on a <$1M expiring contract when his value is peaked. Even if the Raps can only get a 2nd round pick for him, I would support such a move.
                Good question. I would assume Anderson couldn't demand Fields' $6 million, but who knows.

But other than the economics, I agree Fields is the player to keep.

Comment

Good question. I would assume Anderson couldn't demand Fields' $6 million, but who knows.

But other than the economics, I agree Fields is the player to keep.
                  I guess my point was that <$1M Anderson VS $6M Fields is one debate.

If Anderson gets a $2-3M contract, suddenly factors like age and potential become as important, if not more important, than the economics.

Comment

Millsap has said he wants to go where he will be guaranteed to start as a PF.

I was thinking Indiana but supposedly he wants to stay and Indiana wants him.

Sign and trade Millsap for DD would be AWESOME.
                    Barring major trades, these are the teams that could be in position to sign Millsap straight-up and give him the starting spot.

Charlotte: $8.4 Cap room, expiring deals Diop $7.3M
                    Cleveland: $10.2 Cap room, expiring Luke Walton $6M, Daniel gibson $4.8M, Casspi $2.7M
                    Detroit: -$9.7M, expiring Magette and Calderon $10M each, Maxiel $5M
                    Milwaukee -$4.5M, expiring Udrih $7.3M, Dalembert $7M, Dunleavy $3.75M
                    Philly - -$6M, expiring Bynum $16M, Nick Young $5.6M, Wright $4M
                    Dallas: -$2.6M, expiring Kaman $8M, D. Jones $2.9M, Collison $2.3M, Beaubois $2.2M, D. Jones $1.3M (not a typo, they have 2 D. Jones)

All of these teams could hand the starting PF to Millsap from day 1 except Dallas. But Dallas does have the Cuban Effect. If you were a player, would you rather play for an owner who'd do anything to win no matter the cost or a more traditional win within these constraints? Don't count out Dallas just because Dirk is the starter.

Another potential option
                    Indiana: Sign and trade - Granger for Millsap, letting David West walk in free agency

In terms of desirability, I'd put the Raps ahead of Charlotte, Detroit and Milwaukee. I'd say Philly is highly unlikely and Cleveland and Dallas as slightly more attractive options for Millsap.

Bottom line, even with the landscape changing between now and the off-season, the Raps will have their work cut out for them.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Barring major trades, these are the teams that could be in position to sign Millsap straight-up and give him the starting spot.

Cleveland: $10.2 Cap room, expiring Luke Walton $6M, Daniel gibson $4.8M, Casspi $2.7M
                      Dallas: -$2.6M, expiring Kaman $8M, D. Jones $2.9M, Collison $2.3M, Beaubois $2.2M, D. Jones $1.3M (not a typo, they have 2 D. Jones)

All of these teams could hand the starting PF to Millsap from day 1 except Dallas. But Dallas does have the Cuban Effect. If you were a player, would you rather play for an owner who'd do anything to win no matter the cost or a more traditional win within these constraints? Don't count out Dallas just because Dirk is the starter.

Another potential option
                      Indiana: Sign and trade - Granger for Millsap, letting David West walk in free agency

In terms of desirability, I'd put the Raps ahead of Charlotte, Detroit and Milwaukee. I'd say Philly is highly unlikely and Cleveland and Dallas as slightly more attractive options for Millsap.

Bottom line, even with the landscape changing between now and the off-season, the Raps will have their work cut out for them.
                      Just going off that list, I would think that Toronto and Cleveland would be the top 2 destinations, given the opportunity and direction the teams are headed. Personally I'd give the nod to Toronto, but who knows what his thought process is. A lineup with Gay & Lowry, along with youngsters like Valanciunas, Ross & possibly DeRozan, is the start of a very good, young, talented team.

Comment

Just going off that list, I would think that Toronto and Cleveland would be the top 2 destinations, given the opportunity and direction the teams are headed. Personally I'd give the nod to Toronto, but who knows what his thought process is. A lineup with Gay & Lowry, along with youngsters like Valanciunas, Ross & possibly DeRozan, is the start of a very good, young, talented team.
                        Is Tristan Thompson a center or PF, and the way he's playing lately I can't see them putting him on the bench. Toronto (if they trade Bargnani) will need a PF and could guarantee Millsap starting minutes.

Other teams that could use a starting caliber PF include Sacramento, Phoenix, Boston, Brooklyn, and the Lakers (if they trade Gasol).

Not every team has cap space but they could engineer trades to get some or do sign and trades. Hopefully Millsap is on Bryan's radar. There have been zero rumours out there that the Raptors are even interested in him.

Comment

A PF that would be awesome with Gay in the line up would be Kevin Love. Not a defensive power house, but is probably the best stretch four in the game. He's overrated but he's also unhappy in Minnesota. Could buy low. Minny needs a SG and had interest in DeMar at one point.

Would DeMar + Andrea get it done?

Comment

Another potential option

Disagree on Cleveland more desirable. They have TT. Doubt they give him big money.

Detroit is going to be starting Drummond and Monroe.

Charlotte is a real possibility.

Milwaukee has a load of PF's, don't see it.

Philly, no.

Dallas has Dirk. Millsap said starting PF.

Don't forget Houston. Since it appears both West and Indy want to continue the partnership, Millsap to Houston makes a lot of sense.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              A PF that would be awesome with Gay in the line up would be Kevin Love. Not a defensive power house, but is probably the best stretch four in the game. He's overrated but he's also unhappy in Minnesota. Could buy low. Minny needs a SG and had interest in DeMar at one point.

Would DeMar + Andrea get it done?
                              Definitely not.

Comment

Definitely not.
                                Definitely not in that Love is not a good fit.. or that Khan would laugh in Bryan's face, slam the phone and then send a mass email to all the other GM's describing the ridiculous offer he got from him.

Comment

Working...
                                X