Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Toronto gaining recognition.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    Toronto fan tend to vastly under rate & over rate all the time...

i read somewere last night that BC said on TSN that dispite what bloggers may think, his young players have good value around the league
    as I've said many times before, take what Colangelo says with a grain of salt.

Besides what Matt52 said (ie. what else is he going to say)

Which 'young players' is he referring to?:

- Lowry, Ross, and Val? The guys he shouldn't (or maybe more specifically won't) be trading.

- Bargnani, Demar and fields? The guys he should be trading.

- all of them?

I'll give Colangelo one thing. He does an excellent job carefully articulating his sentences, telling people exactly what they want to hear through rather ambiguous (and at times extremely misleading) statements.

Thats why its his actions, and not what he says or claims, that matters.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    oh, c'mon.

1) derozan hits circus shot to beat orlando;
    2) it's a highlight, so these guys are aware of it;
    3) they remember him in the dunk contests;
    4) they then take 12 seconds to peruse his stats;
    5) they take note that he's scoring in the high teens;
    6) they conclude that that means something (since, y'know...POINTS!!).

the whole 'american media' & whether they are pro-raptors or anti-raptors is a strawman. they are pro-story. if there's a story somewhere that will generate interest among their viewers - or generate new viewers - then that's what they are 'pro.' since 99% of their interest lies in cultivating the US market, any 'story' concerning the raps has to be significant enough to be of interest to joe-average american fan. and, sorry, as much as we gnash our teeth at the shitty luck the raps have had with officiating, pretty much no one outside of raptor fans gives a flying fuck...and hence, it isn't a story.

now, if the same thing had happened to, oh, say, the knicks (3 (potential) losses directly attributable to bad officiating, impacting their record/playoff seeding)...well, holy shit, the world might as well be on fire...because people in their market would care.
    This...absolutely. They barely notice us and that's why most of their opinions pro or con are highly suspect and generally based on superficial knowledge.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take, for what it's worth. There is no predictable way to build a successful team in the NBA. Some very perimeter oriented teams succeed, and some very interior oriented teams do. Nobody predicted that the Lakers would be such a disaster in their chemistry. Gasol and Howard together looked like a monster front court. Memphis looks great, but did people really think that Gasol and Randolph would click like that as an interior presence?

So, this idea of building a team using some sort of formula ("spacing", etc.) seems nice on the surface, but in reality a team's chemistry seems more difficult to predict.

I don't know whether Gay will be boom or bust for the Raptors, but I can see the logic from Colangelo's perspective. I really liked Calderon and Davis, but how many teams were going to worry about the Raptors' lineup going forward (adding in Lowry, DeRozan and JV and Bargnani)? That roster has a mediocre ceiling. So why not try to go for a crazy athletic roster of slashers, with an aggressive young big man in the middle (JV), with Gay as the alpha dog with Lowry as beta? I won't be completely surprised if this roster "clicks", and drives other team's nuts with their length and athleticism. Once Ross becomes reliable from the 3FG they will have some options. Also, they can probably pick up a decent floor-spacing 3pt shooter.

So, basically, I don't mind this deal. Why not take a swing for the fences? Gay is young enough and athletic enough and has the skills and temperament to be dynamic. Remember, it was only a few seasons ago that Z-Bo was on the rubbish heap, and now he's a franchise cornerstone. Players need to find their niche. I predict some monster games from Gay, and some exciting play from this group. Give them a chance to wow us.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    Here's my take, for what it's worth. There is no predictable way to build a successful team in the NBA. Some very perimeter oriented teams succeed, and some very interior oriented teams do. Nobody predicted that the Lakers would be such a disaster in their chemistry. Gasol and Howard together looked like a monster front court. Memphis looks great, but did people really think that Gasol and Randolph would click like that as an interior presence?

So, this idea of building a team using some sort of formula ("spacing", etc.) seems nice on the surface, but in reality a team's chemistry seems more difficult to predict.

I don't know whether Gay will be boom or bust for the Raptors, but I can see the logic from Colangelo's perspective. I really liked Calderon and Davis, but how many teams were going to worry about the Raptors' lineup going forward (adding in Lowry, DeRozan and JV and Bargnani)? That roster has a mediocre ceiling. So why not try to go for a crazy athletic roster of slashers, with an aggressive young big man in the middle (JV), with Gay as the alpha dog with Lowry as beta? I won't be completely surprised if this roster "clicks", and drives other team's nuts with their length and athleticism. Once Ross becomes reliable from the 3FG they will have some options. Also, they can probably pick up a decent floor-spacing 3pt shooter.

So, basically, I don't mind this deal. Why not take a swing for the fences? Gay is young enough and athletic enough and has the skills and temperament to be dynamic. Remember, it was only a few seasons ago that Z-Bo was on the rubbish heap, and now he's a franchise cornerstone. Players need to find their niche. I predict some monster games from Gay, and some exciting play from this group. Give them a chance to wow us.
    +1

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like