View Poll Results: Would you swap Ross for Davis in the Gay trade if possible?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

34 40.48%
  • No.

50 59.52%
Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Rudy Gay

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote colef5 wrote: View Post
    If it was possible, would you go back in time and trade Terrence Ross with Calderon in the place of Ed Davis?
    I absolutely would. Davis is further along in his develpment, fills a position that we are weak at (back up PF), was playing very good ball, and still has a lot of upside. Ross has potential, but he plays a position that we are pretty deep at (DD, Gay, Fields and Anderson are all we need) and he has a lot more bust potential then Davis, who has already proven he can succeed in a back up role. Now, if Bargs was playing well it's a different story becsaue then we don't have minutes for Ed, but in the current situation, I keep Ed over Ross all day.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally voted, and I put Yes for the following reasons:

(a) Keeping Davis would mean Bargnani would have been even less useful to us. Trade away!
    (b) Ross' role on the team may never grow because the 3 guys ahead of him in depth chart have huge contracts.
    (c) Big men take longer to develop, but Davis was nearly there already.
    (d) It's always easier to find retreads at the SG position than big men (see Anderson)

I still think Ross may end up having a better career than Davis, but in our situation we may have been better off trading Ross.
    your pal,
    ebrian

3. Like Arsenalist, ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post

(a) Keeping Davis would mean Bargnani would have been even less useful to us. Trade away!
    (b) Ross' role on the team may never grow because the 3 guys ahead of him in depth chart have huge contracts.
    (d) It's always easier to find retreads at the SG position than big men (see Anderson)

I still think Ross may end up having a better career than Davis, but in our situation we may have been better off trading Ross.
    I agree it would have been better to give up our log jam at 3, but the Grizzly's know how to pull off a trade -- get rid of a whiny,high-paid, mediocre shooter for a solid backup PF, who could become a starter. And then get an expiring contract that you turn around and trade to fill the whole you just created at the 3. Grizzly's a better, more affordable team. Raptors, not so much.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post

I put no:

here are the counter points:

a) We need no other reasons to trade bargnani and neither did management.
    b) Ross' role will expand as he becomes a more consistent shooter (#letrosstake1000shotsaday) and he'll be extremely important to this team when that happens
    c) Even though big men take longer to develop, that doesn't change the fact that ED's ceiling was never that high
    d) good point, but PF's that get you 8-10 rbds a game per 48 minutes, shoot 75% from the FT line and can only score in the flow of the offense are also pretty easy to find (see Tristan Thompson, Jason Maxiel, tyler hansborough, Aaron Gray or any player one step above reggie evans.)

At the end of the day, if Ross can develop to play at both ends of the floor, he will be extremely valuable to this team going forward

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Point I like to focus on ... beyond Gay being on the roster: Jonas is the future.

Our window as contenders can only happen when he is in his prime - and with the league going the way it is with 1-big lineups so often, it would seem wise to keep the dynamic young wing with a high ceiling ... rather than a blue collar big with payday coming a few years sooner (unlike Ross, who also has 4 years of rookie scale).

The Gay trade makes us a solid middle-tier East playoff team. The 'Jonas era' will incorporate whichever pieces fit the best.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

7. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Keep as is. IMO, Davis's ceiling is Amir Johnson (who Amir himself is a backup player).

We have to remember that Davis was literally worth nothing at the start of the season. We traded while his value was high (one of Colangelo's rare smart decisions).

I'll take the high potential in Ross, over the limited ceiling in Davis.
    My friend, what makes you think Ross has more potential and a higher ceiling than Davis?

I respect your opinion but I tihnk Ed has more potential and upside remaining than Terrence does.

What does Ross do well?

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely not.

Trading Davis means Colangelo can't extend him for 10-15 mil more than he's worth next year.

Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is MUCH easier to find a player built like Ed Davis with his (limited) skill set, than to find what potentially could be found in Ross. Ross was way more valuable than Ed, and still is.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

PFs and PGs are pebbles on a beach you can find them everywhere.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    My friend, what makes you think Ross has more potential and a higher ceiling than Davis?

I respect your opinion but I tihnk Ed has more potential and upside remaining than Terrence does.

What does Ross do well?
    It's just my opinion based on watching both play. Ross, at this early stage of his game, doesn't do anything particularly well. But aside from rebounding, I could say the same about Davis.

Right now, my excitement for Ross is based primarily on his raw athleticism. If he can harness that ability, and fine tune his 3 point shooting and defense, I think he's a great fit next to Gay in the starting lineup.

If we didn't already have Amir, I might think twice about giving up Davis. But I don't see a scenario where Davis leapfrogs Amir if both are on the roster.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Point I like to focus on ... beyond Gay being on the roster: Jonas is the future.

Our window as contenders can only happen when he is in his prime - and with the league going the way it is with 1-big lineups so often, it would seem wise to keep the dynamic young wing with a high ceiling ... rather than a blue collar big with payday coming a few years sooner (unlike Ross, who also has 4 years of rookie scale).

The Gay trade makes us a solid middle-tier East playoff team. The 'Jonas era' will incorporate whichever pieces fit the best.
    I could not agree with this post more.

If properly developed, Jonas has everything. Like a more mentally tough Pau Gasol with slightly less range but can run the floor. We will still need scorers, but he can be someone who you can really build around.

Raptors Republic All-Star iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

no. i havent been the hugest fan of ross lately, but if he develops and becomes a consistent 3 point threat, then good enough for me. raptors really need one besides streaky JL/AA/super lucky telfair shots/one in 15 games DD 3 pointer, and all the horrible rudy gay attempts ugh.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a pretty good question.

If Ed had not been traded, Bargnani may have possibly been dealt. I sure as hell like Amir and Ed better than Amir and Bargs. But, Ross can end up being so good, I think we are probably going to be happy that Davis was dealt instead of him.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No for me, reasons being ...

- Ed Davis will be in the final year of his rookie deal while Ross will be in his 2nd

- Ross has pure athleticism & a quick first step

- Ed Davis can still only go left

- Without Jose, it's not like Ed Davis will be spoon fed & truth be told, for the most part, he needs to be spoon fed looks around the rim

- I see Ross with a higher upside (overall game) than DeRozan because of his shooting stroke and defensive potential. He's a more explosive athlete and has the lateral quickness.

- Having said that, Ed was my favorite Raptor at the time. He's just too boss. I wish we traded Alan Anderson instead of him.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post

+1

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    I could not agree with this post more.

If properly developed, Jonas has everything. Like a more mentally tough Pau Gasol with slightly less range but can run the floor. We will still need scorers, but he can be someone who you can really build around.
    I think that'll come; his form on his free throws is very nice.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    PFs and PGs are pebbles on a beach you can find them everywhere.
    It is very hard to find a pebble worth keeping though.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

20. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I said no. As much as I loved Ed Davis on the raptors, Terrence Ross has some mad potential. If he begins developing like Paul George I'd go as far as to ship derozan with bargnani for another big piece.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Absolutely not.

Trading Davis means Colangelo can't extend him for 10-15 mil more than he's worth next year.
    +1

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote colef5 wrote: View Post
    If it was possible, would you go back in time and trade Terrence Ross with Calderon in the place of Ed Davis?
    I think I would, to be honest. I think Ross will be a solid bench guard at best, and Davis I would imagine would be a good energy big off the bench who is an above average rebounder. As well, I don't think he'll command the money that a high flying scorer like Ross would ask for, despite Ross not even being that good.
    Finally, Davis plays a position and a role I think is more valuable now and in the long run.

What do you guys think? Are you all high on Ross or perhaps BC made a mistake?
    I wish we kept ED and traded Ross instead. To be honest i wish we picked Drummond instead of Ross.

ED was further along in his development and he was our best rebounder. Imagine having Ed around to grab Rudy's misses.......Also I loved the chemistry between Amir and Ed. Ross gets 16 min a game and is stuck behind AA, RG, DD and even LF. To me it didnt make sense BUT Memphis' GM is no moron......maybe they demanded ED!?

24. Like ReubenJRD liked this post

Thread Information