View Poll Results: Would you swap Ross for Davis in the Gay trade if possible?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

34 40.48%
  • No.

50 59.52%
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Rudy Gay

Post Thanks / Like

The Ed and Amir tandem down low was awesome, especially because they were so good at getting the ball to one another in traffic, and their high-low was solid. Ed was our best rebounder, and no doubt had so much room to grow defensively (strength-wise, and help-side) and offensively (varied post-game, improvement of jump-shot).

Ed - this season - has brought far more than Ross has. As much as people believe he has great potential, and could be a solid player/asset for us in the future, Ed was one of those rare players that are contributing now, and will later on.

Talk about him being on the final year of his rookie deal, I seriously think he wouldn't have been overpaid as a player. I won't throw numbers out on the spot, but I would certainly pay the price for this guy.

Not too sure we can go out and find another power forward as good, or with as high potential that Ed has, like Matt said:

It is very hard to find a pebble worth keeping though.
    You can definitely find a point guard, or a power forward in the market, question is do they fit? Are they good? And how can they help us not just now, but further into our future.

Now, if Ross got more playing time, than my tune might change, but I would have included Ross to get Gay. Ross doesn't look like he will get playing time this season (unless injury, or Casey stops being an idiot) and it looks like he will have some trouble getting consistency in the rotation next season.

I don't know, this is - in my opinion - a somewhat premature question, because Ed is barely playing in Memphis (when he has played, shown great stuff) and likewise for Ross. This is another question that should take some time. BUT, if the question was given today, or I was given the opportunity to make a change, I would definitely plug Ross in over Davis.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was one of the few guys that said yes.

Fundamentally-sound big men will be come rarity. If you're in high school and you're 6'8", you aren't taught post moves anymore. Your're taught how to handle the ball better, extending your jumpshooting range, but nothing in the post. Take Julius Randle for example...he has no post game whatsoever, yet he can shoot and dribble, and he's still a top 5 recruit this year.

Players like Ed, who have nice post games and can rebound well, will become extinct. Ed can take these guys to the post on the offensive end, and win the battle every time. He's established he can do this already, and he would be dominant in 3 or 4 years when the lightweight high school big men enter the league.

I definitely would've liked to see Ross go over Ed...Ross is definitely more replaceable. Athletic guards who can shoot are not hard to come by anymore. I'd rather have these guys, than "potential" that personally, I have not seen.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

3. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Well, I was one of the few guys that said yes.

Fundamentally-sound big men will be come rarity. If you're in high school and you're 6'8", you aren't taught post moves anymore. Your're taught how to handle the ball better, extending your jumpshooting range, but nothing in the post. Take Julius Randle for example...he has no post game whatsoever, yet he can shoot and dribble, and he's still a top 5 recruit this year.

Players like Ed, who have nice post games and can rebound well, will become extinct. Ed can take these guys to the post on the offensive end, and win the battle every time. He's established he can do this already, and he would be dominant in 3 or 4 years when the lightweight high school big men enter the league.

I definitely would've liked to see Ross go over Ed...Ross is definitely more replaceable. Athletic guards who can shoot are not hard to come by anymore. I'd rather have these guys, than "potential" that personally, I have not seen.
    I definitely agree with the bolded above. You're going to be able to find those players - athleticism, shooting range - whether in the draft, trade, free agency. Maybe the potential is what separates him, but Ed is a player who brings that typical big man output to the table.
    Talking about the direction of the small lineups, quicker players in the NBA? Ed definitely fits in that category. Very capable of playing as the smaller 5, because he has quick jumping abilities - arguably one of the better players from getting from the ground, to the hoop - and athletic for his size. Also, he's a very long player.

Maybe Terrence Ross will prove me wrong, hell, I sure hope he does, but not trading Ross instead of Ed might be a negative/positive down the road, and I sure as hell wouldn't plug him as 'untouchable.'

Untouchables in honest opinion has buckled down to: Gay, JV, and Amir.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ugggghhhh, nothing more to say than, Ross will make all y'all eat your words. Its a wait and see, but Ross is going to own this league one day.

I wonder if fans remember the Tracy Mcgrady fellow... the young athletic wing with lazy eyes, the one we dropped right before his absolute evisceration of every teams defense.

If we miss out on Demar and Ross in their primes, just like we missed McGrady and Carter in their primes, Id finally give credence to the old adage that History repeats itself.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I definitely agree with the bolded above. You're going to be able to find those players - athleticism, shooting range - whether in the draft, trade, free agency. Maybe the potential is what separates him, but Ed is a player who brings that typical big man output to the table.
    Talking about the direction of the small lineups, quicker players in the NBA? Ed definitely fits in that category. Very capable of playing as the smaller 5, because he has quick jumping abilities - arguably one of the better players from getting from the ground, to the hoop - and athletic for his size. Also, he's a very long player.

Maybe Terrence Ross will prove me wrong, hell, I sure hope he does, but not trading Ross instead of Ed might be a negative/positive down the road, and I sure as hell wouldn't plug him as 'untouchable.'

Untouchables in honest opinion has buckled down to: Gay, JV, and Amir.
    Amir untouchable?

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    Amir untouchable?
    Not sure about "untouchable", but his value on this team is very high. I'd go as far as saying he's more valuable to this team than Lowry or DeRozan...his hustle and effort are unmatched.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm back on the fence on this one. People have made some good arguments on both sides..
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I'm back on the fence on this one. People have made some good arguments on both sides..
    I'm on the fence with you. Not only is it hard to compare the 2 players straight-up, both in terms of today and future projections, but it also comes down to subsequent roster moves for me.

For example...

Davis traded
    - Bargnani is still on the trade block, even if that leaves only Amir as a legit PF on the roster
    - team still has lots of wing depth to include in future trades, whether it's a small money prospect (Ross), mid/big money add-in to balance salary (Fields) or a big money player (DeRozan)

Ross traded
    - Bargnani is still on the trade block
    - still some PF redundancy going forward (Amir/Davis), since Valanciunas is the starting C and one of Amir/Davis would be forced into a backup role
    - when Davis' contract is up (sooner than Ross's contract is up), would he be worth the money he'd likely demand, given that both Amir/Davis are on the roster?
    - the wing depth would be thinned, leaving a primary rotation of Gay/DeRozan/Fields, meaning that another trade involving a wing player is likely off the table

I still lean towards trading Davis:
    - Amir made him redundant
    - I wouldn't have wanted to pay him when his contract is up, so trading while value is high and still on rookie-scale contract is ideal asset management
    - wing depth still intact, which leaves yet another major trade asset on the team for use in subsequent trades

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'm on the fence with you. Not only is it hard to compare the 2 players straight-up, both in terms of today and future projections, but it also comes down to subsequent roster moves for me.

- when Davis' contract is up (sooner than Ross's contract is up), would he be worth the money he'd likely demand, given that both Amir/Davis are on the roster?
    The point of Davis' contract situation was one of the key reasons I jumped back on the fence. That wasn't something that I had considered and you're right -- how much would he command and would it be worthwhile keeping him at that point? Perhaps it was better we got something now for him than letting him walk a year from now. On the other hand I still don't see Ross getting enough exposure to develop into a player that I think he's capable of becoming. If only Landry Fields' contract weren't so toxic.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    Amir untouchable?
    If you don't think he's untouchable, he's very near it. The things he does for this team will not be matched.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't think he's untouchable, he's very near it. The things he does for this team will not be matched.
    The problem with Amir throughout his career has been his inconsistency. If what we're seeing now is the new Amir, then I might agree that we'd be stupid to let him go.

But in order to make that determination, I'd want to be sure that this isn't just a good 20-game stretch without the pressure of the playoffs weighing anyone down.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The problem with Amir throughout his career has been his inconsistency. If what we're seeing now is the new Amir, then I might agree that we'd be stupid to let him go.

But in order to make that determination, I'd want to be sure that this isn't just a good 20-game stretch without the pressure of the playoffs weighing anyone down.
    If you mean production, sure. His effort, nope. He's always going forward, and gives 110% all the time.

So, everything Amir brought to this team pre-Milwaukee game (game the Raptors likely lost any playoff hopes) wasn't great? I would like to see some stats before I agree/disagree with you.

Post Thanks / Like

If you mean production, sure. His effort, nope. He's always going forward, and gives 110% all the time.

So, everything Amir brought to this team pre-Milwaukee game (game the Raptors likely lost any playoff hopes) wasn't great? I would like to see some stats before I agree/disagree with you.
    Yes, in terms of production. But I'm not specifically talking about this year, but his entire career to date. No emphasis placed on the Milwaukee game.

I would never question Amir's heart/effort.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, in terms of production. But I'm not specifically talking about this year, but his entire career to date. No emphasis placed on the Milwaukee game.

I question his focus/brain at times.

He is prone to some DUMB mistakes.

I'll live with it though because I know he is going balls out every night.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, although, I would counter that with his impressive improvement in each side of the game (remembering back to when fans stated "he is what he is"). He's been playing extremely well THIS season, and whilst he might not be a top PF in the league, some of his advanced statistics/averages are in the top of the league.

I personally don't think anyone should. He's a leader on this team with his effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I question his focus/brain at times.

He is prone to some DUMB mistakes.
    I'll live with it though because I know he is going balls out every night.
    I agree, his basketball IQ is not the best (maybe because playing so little time, and coming straight from high school).

Post Thanks / Like

Off the court, I'd love to see Amir develop more of an overt leadership quality. The type who is going to be vocal during timeouts, and openly challenge his teammates when they're not giving 100% effort. IMO, he's the only player on the Raptors who has the credibility to do so.

We really haven't had that guy since the Alvin Williams/Charles Oakley/Antonio Davis days. Every locker room needs one (or three).

EDIT: This team needs to be more self-policing. Casey can only do so much...

19. Like Red and White liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Rudy wearing Amare glasses now??? I was listening to the radio and it said something about him rocking a new look while playing.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Off the court, I'd love to see Amir develop more of an overt leadership quality. The type who is going to be vocal during timeouts, and openly challenge his teammates when they're not giving 100% effort. IMO, he's the only player on the Raptors who has the credibility to do so.

We really haven't had that guy since the Alvin Williams/Charles Oakley/Antonio Davis days. Every locker room needs one (or three).

EDIT: This team needs to be more self-policing. Casey can only do so much...
    With you on that one. Amir is the ONLY Raptor with that kind of credibility.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

heart and effort has nothing to do with winning as we've seen this season

Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread Information