View Poll Results: Would you swap Ross for Davis in the Gay trade if possible?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    34 40.48%
  • No.

    50 59.52%
Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 871

Thread: Everything Rudy Gay

  1. #501
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Great find. Just embedding so people can check it out here...

    YES! Call him out. Guy went his entire writing career talking about intangibles by players then like 4 years ago he got brainwashed by the Hollinger camp about metrics and puts that above all else.

    Oh and it's great to hear him yell over Wilbon about how the NBA works while Magic Johnson and Jalen Rose basically shake their heads in disbelief.

  2. #502
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    YES! Call him out. Guy went his entire writing career talking about intangibles by players then like 4 years ago he got brainwashed by the Hollinger camp about metrics and puts that above all else.

    Oh and it's great to hear him yell over Wilbon about how the NBA works while Magic Johnson and Jalen Rose basically shake their heads in disbelief.
    It's not even just about "intangibles". What Magic and Jalen kept repeating was that unless you have a scoring threat on the wing, you are too easy to play against defensively. Opinions might differ about Gay, but he will make you play defense, and if he has a mismatch, he will hurt you.

    I also like how Simmons tried to make his argument with BS stats, saying that Gay shot 35% in the playoffs (he shot 42.1%). Actually, he is a career 45% shooter (34.3% from 3).

    Kobe is career 45.4%, 33.6% from 3. Simmons' favourite guy, Paul Pierce, is a career 42.2% shooter in the playoffs, including 38.6% last year.

    I guess nobody needs to guard those guys, either.

  3. Like Sig liked this post
  4. #503
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    It's not even just about "intangibles". What Magic and Jalen kept repeating was that unless you have a scoring threat on the wing, you are too easy to play against defensively. Opinions might differ about Gay, but he will make you play defense, and if he has a mismatch, he will hurt you.

    I also like how Simmons tried to make his argument with BS stats, saying that Gay shot 35% in the playoffs (he shot 42.1%). Actually, he is a career 45% shooter (34.3% from 3).

    Kobe is career 45.4%, 33.6% from 3. Simmons' favourite guy, Paul Pierce, is a career 42.2% shooter in the playoffs, including 38.6% last year.

    I guess nobody needs to guard those guys, either.
    To be fair, Simmons asked the comp guy what Rudy's stats where after he said 35%, so he wanted to know what it was. He remembered him shooting badly last year, so he asked for the threepoint stat next and that was 21%. His argument was that the defense wanted to make him shoot, because he did a bad job of that [and didn't help spreading the floor]. It's not a ridiculous argument; many people have pointed to this problem for Memphis (when Rudy was still there - and still).

  5. #504
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    To be fair, Simmons asked the comp guy what Rudy's stats where after he said 35%, so he wanted to know what it was. He remembered him shooting badly last year, so he asked for the threepoint stat next and that was 21%. His argument was that the defense wanted to make him shoot, because he did a bad job of that [and didn't help spreading the floor]. It's not a ridiculous argument; many people have pointed to this problem for Memphis (when Rudy was still there - and still).
    Gay isn't a spot-up 3-pt shooter. He only attempted 2.7 3FG a game in the playoffs last year, so it's not like they were leaving him open and he was just chucking up 3-balls.

    Tayshaun Prince is 3-15 on FGs (0-1 on 3FG). So how's that working out for spacing the floor for Memphis? Maybe they could have predicted this. During his last playoff season (2008/9) Prince shot 7-27 (25.9%), and was 1-5 from 3FG.

    Jalen and Magic were suggesting that Memphis would be better with Gay at the wing in taking some pressure off the interior scorers. It seems hard to argue that Prince is an improvement.

    My point is that Memphis made this move for financial reasons, not basketball. I think that Gay would be more valuable to them in the playoffs than Prince and Ed Davis.

  6. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  7. #505
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    Gay isn't a spot-up 3-pt shooter. He only attempted 2.7 3FG a game in the playoffs last year, so it's not like they were leaving him open and he was just chucking up 3-balls.

    Tayshaun Prince is 3-15 on FGs (0-1 on 3FG). So how's that working out for spacing the floor for Memphis? Maybe they could have predicted this. During his last playoff season (2008/9) Prince shot 7-27 (25.9%), and was 1-5 from 3FG.

    Jalen and Magic were suggesting that Memphis would be better with Gay at the wing in taking some pressure off the interior scorers. It seems hard to argue that Prince is an improvement.

    My point is that Memphis made this move for financial reasons, not basketball. I think that Gay would be more valuable to them in the playoffs than Prince and Ed Davis.
    I'm not advocating they are better with Prince (even though I'm not sure they are worse) and I don't think Simmons was either, he said something along the lines of 'they're screwed either way'. Prince did have some good years in the play-offs from three. But besides that, they have some weaknesses, and a major one has been floor spacing with their bigs.

  8. #506
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,057
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Some stats to think of:

    Regular Season:

    Career 45% field goal shooter.
    Career 34% three point shooter.
    Career 18 point scorer per game.

    Playoffs: (Sample size, first round vs. Clippers)

    Career 42% field goal shooter.
    Career 21% three point shooter.
    Career 19 point scorer per game.

    The season before the injury: (or season that ended with the surgery)

    2010-2011 season: (Season where Rudy Gay was MOST efficient)

    47% from the field.
    40% (rounded, around .396%) three point shooter.
    19.8 points per game.

    Saying Rudy is one of the worse perimeter shooters in the league is a bad argument, statistically speaking, history wise, Rudy is an above average perimeter shooter, also backs up the argument that he has the skill-set/capability to hit from 3.

    In my opinion, and going from the stats, it's looking more like his shooting is still affected from the past shoulder injury.
    Last edited by ReubenJRD; Tue Apr 23rd, 2013 at 08:57 PM.

  9. #507
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,057
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Who the hell is Bill Simmons?! #Clown

  10. #508
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bill Simmons is an idiot Rudy Gay just being there was an impact the draws doubles he made things so much easier for everyone else (like hes doing for the Raps now) I think this season is more so exposing Conley for not being the right guard for Memphis.the Memphis organization is just making plenty of bad moves recently, Losing Mayo was their offense off the bench and now losing Gay they lost their star wing and closer. Gay hits game winners hes clutch they dont have that anymore all but 1 close game this season since Gay left Memphis has lost them all. this dude coming out and saying all that noise just shows he either doesnt know ball or he is just completely ignorant of the Memphis Grizzlies, probably the latter....

    I think Calderon running Memphis would be pretty legit it makes me wonder why they wanted no stake in him...

  11. #509
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bill Simmons and his opinion about Raptors players? This is all you need to know...

    “Colangelo had a choice between paying (Michael) Beasley $11 million for two years (with a qualifying offer of $8.1 million in 2012-13) or signing Amir Johnson for $34 million for five years … and chose Johnson!? Did he suffer a head injury right before the 2006 draft and not tell us?”
    Maybe the Grizzlies need Simmons' favourite underrated guy (Beasley) to push them over the top.
    Last edited by Bouncepass; Tue Apr 23rd, 2013 at 11:00 PM.

  12. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  13. #510
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Bill Simmons is an idiot Rudy Gay just being there was an impact the draws doubles he made things so much easier for everyone else (like hes doing for the Raps now) I think this season is more so exposing Conley for not being the right guard for Memphis.the Memphis organization is just making plenty of bad moves recently, Losing Mayo was their offense off the bench and now losing Gay they lost their star wing and closer. Gay hits game winners hes clutch they dont have that anymore all but 1 close game this season since Gay left Memphis has lost them all. this dude coming out and saying all that noise just shows he either doesnt know ball or he is just completely ignorant of the Memphis Grizzlies, probably the latter....

    I think Calderon running Memphis would be pretty legit it makes me wonder why they wanted no stake in him...
    They won plenty of close games Mr. "I just make shit up". Check their game log.

  14. #511
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    They won plenty of close games Mr. "I just make shit up". Check their game log.
    winning by 10 isn't a close game look at their record since the Gay trade Memphis has faltered when the game comes down to the wire 5 points or less..." if you are up by 10-12 you dont need a clutch execution move you have already won the game. Dude seriously what is your problem? simply stating Gay was their closer and now they dont have one since the trade how is this making shit up exactly? Maybe you should check somethings instead of trolling me every time I post

    http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/schedule

  15. #512
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    winning by 10 isn't a close game look at their record since the Gay trade Memphis has faltered when the game comes down to the wire 5 points or less..." if you are up by 10-12 you dont need a clutch execution move you have already won the game. Dude seriously what is your problem? simply stating Gay was their closer and now they dont have one since the trade how is this making shit up exactly? Maybe you should check somethings instead of trolling me every time I post

    http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/schedule
    I know you think it's trolling when someone calls you out for making up stats (like saying DeMar shot 52% in the last two months not long ago, which is clearly bs as pointed out by a few posters), but I happen to disagree with that.

    So, let's look at their record. You claim that they lost Rudy Gay, their 'closer' and as a result lose more close games. In fact, if I understood correctly what you wrote, you claim they only won one close game since.

    Generally, a close game is considered a game lost or won by 5 points or less.

    Here's the record of Mephis up untill January 25th, the last time Rudy Gay played in a game with Memphis:
    Total games within 5 points: 9
    Win-Loss record: 2-7

    The regular season record since:
    Total games within 5 points: 10
    Win-Loss record: 8-2

    So, in fact, they are doing significantly better in close games ever since the Rudy Gay trade and these stats are easily verifiable for everyone using the link you now provided.

    However, I have no idea, why you keep making these things up. But as long as you do, I consider myself to be in my right to 'troll' you and point out where those stats came from.

    "We all have a brain, a heart and a rectum. Please remember what each are used for." Chris Bernucca

  16. Like ReubenJRD, Letter N liked this post
  17. #513
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Seem like Rudy and DeMar getting close. They out an LA together.

  18. #514
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Seem like Rudy and DeMar getting close. They out an LA together.
    Instagram? lol ya they've been together since season ended, Terrence ross is going to like every big amusement park with his girl, QnA is still in Tdot reaching every Jays game (future fan fav like Amir) amir is still here repping the Jays Lowry is doing family stuff JV No idea? He said he was craving home cooking in the last game interview Fields is trying to find a better place to live in Toronto Bargnani is with his agent and Colangelo discussing (?) Aaron Gray is (?)

    RAP UPDATE!

  19. #515
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    .
    You're just not going to react to the rebuttal of your claim about Rudy and Memphis now are you?

  20. #516
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    I know you think it's trolling when someone calls you out for making up stats (like saying DeMar shot 52% in the last two months not long ago, which is clearly bs as pointed out by a few posters), but I happen to disagree with that.

    So, let's look at their record. You claim that they lost Rudy Gay, their 'closer' and as a result lose more close games. In fact, if I understood correctly what you wrote, you claim they only won one close game since.

    Generally, a close game is considered a game lost or won by 5 points or less.

    Here's the record of Mephis up untill January 25th, the last time Rudy Gay played in a game with Memphis:
    Total games within 5 points: 9
    Win-Loss record: 2-7

    The regular season record since:
    Total games within 5 points: 10
    Win-Loss record: 8-2

    So, in fact, they are doing significantly better in close games ever since the Rudy Gay trade and these stats are easily verifiable for everyone using the link you now provided.

    However, I have no idea, why you keep making these things up. But as long as you do, I consider myself to be in my right to 'troll' you and point out where those stats came from.

    "We all have a brain, a heart and a rectum. Please remember what each are used for." Chris Bernucca
    Too add to this, his reference to Mike Conley, is backwards aswell (out of place I know because this is a Rudy Gay thread).

    Using an all-star game split (which is close to the time of the Rudy Gay trade) Conley's points increased 3.4, assists up .4, TOs down .1, rbs up 1, fg% up 3.4% on 2 more FGA a game, FTAs up 1.3 a game, all on an increase of less than 2 min a game. Only his FT% dropped (from 85 to 80%) and 3pt% dropped .8%

    Conley's showed he can take on more responsibility with Gay in Toronto.

  21. #517
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    meh I just dropped it. If you think Memphis is a better team without Rudy Gay you havent seen their latest issues. Marc and Zach have to get it going all night to win a game saying Rudy wasnt important to their success is ignorant. Figured arguing with you would lead no where, congrats Soft Euro you know more about basketball than a 16 year old kid congrats.

  22. #518
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    meh I just dropped it. If you think Memphis is a better team without Rudy Gay you havent seen their latest issues. Marc and Zach have to get it going all night to win a game saying Rudy wasnt important to their success is ignorant. Figured arguing with you would lead no where, congrats Soft Euro you know more about basketball than a 16 year old kid congrats.
    So, you make a claim that is totally false and proven to be false and when it is, you 'just drop it' because 'arguing would lead no where'. Figures...

  23. #519
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Seem like Rudy and DeMar getting close. They out an LA together.
    These two have been tight since the day Rudy arrived. Its been fun to watch.

    In Masai we Trust.

  24. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
  25. #520
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    So, you make a claim that is totally false and proven to be false and when it is, you 'just drop it' because 'arguing would lead no where'. Figures...
    what part of Mehh dont you get (?) :O

    @Joey havent seen that kind of companionship on the team since.........well ever.

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •