View Poll Results: Would you swap Ross for Davis in the Gay trade if possible?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

34 40.48%
  • No.

50 59.52%
Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Rudy Gay

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    Yea I agree, that wingspan hasn't really helped him much on D. But I think the real mistake is Casey being so dead set to use him as a stretch 4. I really think Austin Daye plays better at the 3. His wingspan can really help him there. Since he doesn't have the greatest foot speed he can give guys more room than the average player and his wingspan will help him still be able to contest shots. Novak is a stretch 4 but Daye is more of a 3. I wish Casey would see that. Because at the 4 whatever he gives you on the offensive end gets taken away by how much of a struggle it is for him defensively. It's almost like Bargnani but he's much more efficient.
    I do agree he'd have a chance to be more effective at the 3. I think it's tough to actually play him there though. Fields is still a pretty good fit there as a reserve, and Gay will take up a fair chunk of the minutes there. I haven't seen Daye enough at the 3 though to think that he'd for sure be that much better. If he's not too quick, maybe he'd still pick up fouls trying to reach in. He's still so damn skinny, so maybe even most 3s can and do try to body him up. I feel like it's definitely something Casey should have tried out more in the preseason. Daye's a good 25 lbs. from being able to play the 4, at least.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I do agree he'd have a chance to be more effective at the 3. I think it's tough to actually play him there though. Fields is still a pretty good fit there as a reserve, and Gay will take up a fair chunk of the minutes there. I haven't seen Daye enough at the 3 though to think that he'd for sure be that much better. If he's not too quick, maybe he'd still pick up fouls trying to reach in. He's still so damn skinny, so maybe even most 3s can and do try to body him up. I feel like it's definitely something Casey should have tried out more in the preseason. Daye's a good 25 lbs. from being able to play the 4, at least.
    This is true. He probably would get a few more minutes playing the 4 and he probably would reach a lot and pick up cheap fouls. I just feel it won't be AS bad for him defensively, but it still won't be great. I like Fields so I definitely want him to be the main back up 3. I guess stretch 4 it is for Austin Daye. I'm just glad he's actually proving to be a great shooter. Not just good but great. Yes it's preseason and those numbers will drop but I doubt they drop to any drastic level. We need as much shooting on this team as we can get because only Rudy, Augustin, and Kyle (somewhat) have proven to be decent three point shooters other than Daye and Novak. And they won't be getting many minutes because of their defensive flaws.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    This is true. He probably would get a few more minutes playing the 4 and he probably would reach a lot and pick up cheap fouls. I just feel it won't be AS bad for him defensively, but it still won't be great. I like Fields so I definitely want him to be the main back up 3. I guess stretch 4 it is for Austin Daye. I'm just glad he's actually proving to be a great shooter. Not just good but great. Yes it's preseason and those numbers will drop but I doubt they drop to any drastic level. We need as much shooting on this team as we can get because only Rudy, Augustin, and Kyle (somewhat) have proven to be decent three point shooters other than Daye and Novak. And they won't be getting many minutes because of their defensive flaws.
    Kyle is a better 3 shooter than Gay.
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Yea I know, I just meant so far this preseason Rudy has shot it better.

Post Thanks / Like

True, but Lowry needs to be more open. He is short and doesn't have much rise on his shot. Gay can at least elevate and shoot over the D.

It will be hard for Lowry to get many open looks unless, A) we can get a double-team in the post - DD, JV, Gay, or B) Gay/DD become better passers out of their drives for drive and kick opportunities or C) Lowry shoots from another 2 steps back - which he has done fairly often in the past
    F*ck Brooklyn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    True, but Lowry needs to be more open. He is short and doesn't have much rise on his shot. Gay can at least elevate and shoot over the D.

It will be hard for Lowry to get many open looks unless, A) we can get a double-team in the post - DD, JV, Gay, or B) Gay/DD become better passers out of their drives for drive and kick opportunities or C) Lowry shoots from another 2 steps back - which he has done fairly often in the past
    Most of his 3s will come from open look. Playing with this starting line up.
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Most of his 3s will come from open look. Playing with this starting line up.
    How?

As I mentioned, neither Gay or DD are particularly good at finding teammates once they start their drives.

We have no post presence that will likely commend a double team, unless you expects doubles for DD and Gay on the block.
    F*ck Brooklyn

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hope by the end of the year both JV and DD will force doubles from some teams. DD was impressive during preseason at scoring from the block (though he was schooling a lot of rookies). JV hopefully shows more polish and finishing strength as the season goes on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    I'd hope by the end of the year both JV and DD will force doubles from some teams. DD was impressive during preseason at scoring from the block (though he was schooling a lot of rookies). JV hopefully shows more polish and finishing strength as the season goes on.
    We said the same thing about DD last preseason too.

JV isn't likely to get a lot of touches in a post scoring position. I would be shocked if he had many kick-outs resulting in 3's. More likely he'll A) try to power through the D, B) turn the ball over, C) pass to a nearby cutter, D) try to pass cross block to Amir/Tyler
    F*ck Brooklyn

Post Thanks / Like

How?

As I mentioned, neither Gay or DD are particularly good at finding teammates once they start their drives.

We have no post presence that will likely commend a double team, unless you expects doubles for DD and Gay on the block.
    Rudy Gay is a decent passer and DD was season double teams on the block in Preseason. The looks will be there he just has to make them.
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Eric Koreen @ekoreen 2 hours ago
    The Quotable Rudy Gay on last year's 4-19 start: “We definitely remember that start. I remember it and I wasn’t even here.”

12. Like Jclaw liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    Eric Koreen @ekoreen 2 hours ago
    The Quotable Rudy Gay on last year's 4-19 start: “We definitely remember that start. I remember it and I wasn’t even here.”
    Haha, indoctrination on full display!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wondering this. I know Rudy Gay is nowhere near the level of NBA player/superstar that Vince Carter was back in 2004. But if MU was able to get a similar package to what Babcock got for Vinsanity, it would be thought of as a fucking triumph right?

Trade was VC for Eric Williams, Aaron Williams and Alonzo Mourning + two first-round draft picks.

You could cut that trade package in half and I think it would still be thought of, overall, as a favourable deal (the deadset anti-tankers may not agree). Sub in other cheap scrubs for the Williams bros and an expiring contract for Zo.

I know the cap situation is way different, that Vince put T. on the map and that teams value 1st rounders way more these days, but it's still pretty interesting. To me anyway.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't those 2 picks turn into Charlie Villenueva and Joey Graham? God, what a shit show....
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Didn't those 2 picks turn into Charlie Villenueva and Joey Graham? God, what a shit show....
    Joey Graham was the all time biggest example of reality distortion disorder.

Boy, Babcock was one hell of a troll.

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, anyone remember when Joey Graham dunked on Chris Mihm and the announcers called him Joey Crawford?

You know you suck when the refs are more recognizable than you.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

How?

Watching last night's game, Boston would double-team/send help defense as soon as DeMar would turn his back on the defender. So... That answers that, I think. If a team full of defensive perimeter players (Bradley, Wallace, Lee) would be throwing doubles at him, I'm be certain he'll see more in the near future.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone catch the Gay interview on NBA tv?

Post Thanks / Like

I caught the tail end of it... I think the front end has a lot more talking.

Thread Information