Everything Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    His last response is also against the forum rules, and not just by a tiny bit.

I would suggest to collar him temporarily but mine is currently put to good use.
    How so?

I have a person badgering me to engage in a debate which I said from the beginning was crazy and unlikely while accrediting statements to me which were not accurate. I used two inappropriate words but they were not directed at the poster. Last I checked moderate language is appropriate, excessive is a warning.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
      His last response is also against the forum rules, and not just by a tiny bit.

I would suggest to collar him temporarily but mine is currently put to good use.
      Not sure if anyone is breaking any rules, maybe they're having a fairly heated debate, and we don't have enough of those around here anymore (sadly).
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
        Not sure if anyone is breaking any rules, maybe they're having a fairly heated debate, and we don't have enough of those around here anymore (sadly).
        Just wait til October when Casey names Bargnani our starting power forward

Comment

• First of all, I find it amusing that for somebody who averages 11.84 posts a day, 3 posts in two days constitutes badgering. Second of all, I was initially unaware that the post I responded to was ten days old when I responded; I followed up by asking honestly for Matt52's current thoughts on what kind of trade he thought would be feasible that would get Gay to the Warriors. Admittedly, I was a bit snarky when I said I would dismantle it and it may not have been received as honest, but considering the abrasive manner in which I was responded to in the first place, forgive me if I'm not feeling contrite at the moment. (Believe me though, if there is a trade out there that would ship Gay off to the Warriors - that the Warriors might agree to, I'd love for the Raptors to seriously consider it.)

And honestly, ReubenJRD, I think even if you are just "throwing something out there", it should have even the slightest thread of plausibility or it's not really even responding to. And I'm assuming if you're posting something on a public forum, you want some kind of response. I'm still not sure if that was the case here, quite honestly. Regardless, I was trying to figure out that thread of plausibility and at no point did I really get an answer.

That being said, I certainly don't think any forum rules were broken, but the rules of most forums still leave plenty of room for one to act like a jerk without breaking said rules.
          Last edited by TRX; Wed May 22, 2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• TRX wrote: View Post
            First of all, I find it amusing that for somebody who averages 11.84 posts a day, 3 posts in two days constitutes badgering. Second of all, I was initially unaware that the post I responded to was ten days old when I responded; I followed up by asking honestly for Matt52's current thoughts on what kind of trade he thought would be feasible that would get Gay to the Warriors. Admittedly, I was a bit snarky when I said I would dismantle it and it may not have been received as honest, but considering the abrasive manner in which I was responded to in the first place, forgive me if I'm not feeling contrite at the moment. (Believe me though, if there is a trade out there that would ship Gay off to the Warriors - that the Warriors might agree to, I'd love for the Raptors to seriously consider it.)

And honestly, ReubenJRD, I think even if you are just "throwing something out there", it should have even the slightest thread of plausibility or it's not really even responding to. And I'm assuming if you're posting something on a public forum, you want some kind of response. I'm still not sure if that was the case here, quite honestly. Regardless, I was trying to figure out that thread of plausibility and at no point did I really get an answer.

That being said, I certainly don't think any forum rules were broken, but the rules of most forums still leave plenty of room for one to act like a jerk without breaking said rules.

What does my number of posts have to do with anything? You were repeatedly asking questions my posts already answered. If you wanted my thoughts - including how ridiculous I thought they were - you only had to read. I answered your questions as to why they might be done financially. You didn't agree with my thinking and then misinterpreted my responses. I definitely got snarky - sorry about that - but this was a conversation I wanted no part of because I thought I had already made my position clear with the unlikelihood of anything remotely similar to what I suggested happening. You want to dismantle my posts, I have nothing new to add nor believe in the conversation to begin with.... end of story.

There is overreaction on my part but with no keyboard access the last 6 days, no desire to thumb out a reply on an iPhone, and most of your questions/misinterpretations addressed, this is my perspective in video form:

Comment

Oh, okay. I get it now. So for the privilege of taking in a player that is nowhere near a franchise player who makes nearly that $20 million all on his own, (Gay), Golden State should:

- eat over $22 million salary over two years for a negative win shares player (Bargnani)
              - give away two expiring contracts worth $20 million combined (Jefferson, Biedrins)
              - give away either a very good three point shooter, going into his third season in the NBA, who just put up 15/4.5/2, steal, 2 threes in twelve playoff games whose trade value is pretty high right now (Thompson) OR the #7 draft pick who just put up 16/6.5/1.5, 1.5 threes in twelve playoffs as a rookie (Barnes)
              - give away a first round draft pick in a draft projected to be extremely deep

Am I missing something? Please let me know. I really want to understand the genius of this trade for the Warriors. Please show me how to think outside the box.
              I have a keyboard, 21" screen, and time now versus an iPhone and no real time.

I see a major fact I missed. You are absolutely right Biedrins/Jefferson/pick/1 of Klay-Barnes for Gay/Bargnani is hardly ideal for Warriors financially.

Somewhere along the way I started thinking Gay for Biedrins/Jefferson/Barnes/1st (I'll just stop typing Klay because he is a 2-guard and I don't see Barnes/Gay playing together) likely due to lack of screen size and time the last 6 days. From a financial perspective the Warriors actually get back to the luxury threshold (and that is before team option on Jones and Rush/Landry player options), not even including high likelihood salary tax and luxury tax thresholds are raised. The Ws would be turning $20M in dead weight and Barnes in to a player in his prime (who might even be better than Barnes ever will be) to form a front line with 2 other players in their prime (Bogut - 28; and Lee - 30) plus saving around $13M next season in salary and tax. They might look at the opportunity to win as NOW especially given Curry's ankle history and problems he encountered in the playoffs.

The following season (14-15) W's would have around $54M with Gay and the Bird Rights to Bogut. Following year Gay able to be resigned for what I would think is considerably less than $19.3M.

Now to be clear, do I think any of this is likely? Hardly. Shooting the shit when the idea of blowing everything up is where this came from thinking about who might actually want to take on Gay.

I hope this covers/clarifies everything and my apologies for snarkiness on my end. The confusion appears to make a lot of sense now when you include both Bargnani and Gay. I absolutely did type that initially but the only plausible aspect of that trade was from the perspective of the CBA. Gay and Bargnani does nothing for the Ws from a financial perspective - Gay alone does but you take away the promise of what Barnes might become and the possibility to add via trade.

It should be noted that unless the Ws rescind rights to Bogut they won't have any significant cap space for free agency in 2014-15 when they have about $35M on the books as of now. Bogut's cap hold takes them to $51M so they might have in the area of $10M assuming cap goes up with 9 guys under contract (including Boguts cap hold) and they would also have the top up exception of $2.5M. I know a lot of people are talking about the cap space they are going to have but a bit chunk of that is tied up in Bogut's hold taking them out of free agency but still keeping trades an option.

Comment

• I appreciate the apology. Definitely my bad for any misinterpretation (certainly unintended; as unproductive as attacking strawmen is, I'd never do it on purpose). I'd also like to apologize specifically for using "dismantling". Admittedly, I took it a little personal; I normally try to read everybody's opinions as unbiasedly as possible and form responses afterwards. But, uh, back to the stuff that matters.

... lol, I've thought about it more and as I was trying to write a whole post about why it still doesn't make sense for the Warriors, I've begun to swing the other way a bit. Biedrins and Jefferson are both expiring this upcoming season anyway so it's not like they'd be deadweight for much longer. On the other hand, there aren't really any great free agents in the 2014 offseason to go after when they're both off the books, as far as I can tell. As overpaid as Rudy Gay is and still overrated in my opinion, I still think he's a good player that would work in a system where he isn't asked to be the first option and a go-to scorer in crunch time and a part time playmaker and exert a lot of energy chasing good players on defence. (And if he stops taking so many 16-23 footers, but yeah.) Much like Iguodala really blossomed when he wasn't asked to be a 20 PPG scorer night in and night out (albeit as a better defender than Gay), if Gay falls in line behind Curry and Lee offensively, he can focus on scoring some, creating some while being an above average rebounder and defender.

I guess it really depends how much you think Harrison Barnes will grow in the next two seasons. I think his trade stock is pretty damn high right now and if Golden State really wanted to make a deal for Gay, they wouldn't need to throw in a draft pick - and they could probably still ask for something back from the Raptors. Nothing major, but I'd think $20 million in expiring contracts and a rookie that just performed pretty well in his first season/postseason is worth more than a #2/2b option set to make $37 million over the next two seasons. I'm not quite sure what the Warriors could ask for without making it a lopsided trade though. I feel like if they really wanted to get fair value, a third team would have to be involved.

On a related note, I'm wondering what people think Rudy Gay should actually be making if he could be amnestied immediately.

Comment

On a related note, I'm wondering what people think Rudy Gay should actually be making if he could be amnestied immediately.
                  8-10. somewhere in the middling star category seems fair.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                    8-10. somewhere in the middling star category seems fair.
                    This especially cause hes still young and an incredible specimen of a player.

Comment

• Rudy Gay was on first take this morning
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Rudy Gay was on first take this morning
                        just saw from his instagram who is RudyGayfan? lol he/she has so much pics Im guessing its a close friend or something.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          just saw from his instagram who is RudyGayfan? lol he/she has so much pics Im guessing its a close friend or something.
                          Rudy has instagram?

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                            Rudy has instagram?
                            ya its husky4lyfe22

Comment

• So I saw rudy Gay on First take and im just like ? why? lol but cool awesome nice to see the kid on the news beside Stephen and Skip he looked really nervous and fidgety. Relax Rudy you're a STAR! lol

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                                So I saw rudy Gay on First take and im just like ? why? lol but cool awesome nice to see the kid on the news beside Stephen and Skip he looked really nervous and fidgety. Relax Rudy you're a STAR! lol
                                Well, at least he looks good in a suit
                                Last edited by rocwell; Wed May 29, 2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X