No announcement yet.

Everything Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Ed Davis' ceiling is lower than Ross', however I will say that if they had traded Ross, at the very least there would be a higher chance Colangelo takes *anything* for Bargnani.

With us thin at PF (starting material), it means Colangelo might be a lot pickier when trading Bargs, with potential of him not trading him at all.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

• I voted no. The NBA is a small man's game now, versatility is what counts. Ross can shoot threes, athletic enough to be a good defender, decent rebounder and penetrate the lane. He can score on the perimeter or take his man off the dribble. With Ed, the most you can get is a perimeter shot, post up, rebounding and interior D. But it still entirely depends on what the team needs, and having Amir made Ed a bit more dispensible than Ross.

Comment

• Keep as is. IMO, Davis's ceiling is Amir Johnson (who Amir himself is a backup player).

We have to remember that Davis was literally worth nothing at the start of the season. We traded while his value was high (one of Colangelo's rare smart decisions).

I'll take the high potential in Ross, over the limited ceiling in Davis.

Comment

• I believe Amir Johnson is similar and better than Ed Davis and thus losing Ed was not a big loss to me. Ed Davis is a very good rebounder and shot blocker but he is also no more than a 4th offensive option and a defender who has difficulty defending bigger players.

I am not sold on Terrence Ross but he has a chance to develop into a good 3 point shooter, something the Raptors sorely needs.

I think the Raptors made the right choice by trading Ed and not Terrence.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Keep as is. IMO, Davis's ceiling is Amir Johnson (who Amir himself is a backup player).

We have to remember that Davis was literally worth nothing at the start of the season. We traded while his value was high (one of Colangelo's rare smart decisions).

Have to disagree with this. Davis is about 10 - 15 pounds away from being a beast. Davis already has more tools than Amir, though Amir has the toughness and experience Ed lacks. At this point Ed is already a better rebounder, but in a few off seasons of hitting the gym and working on his game he will have surpassed Amir.

I like Ross' potential as well, but from the beginning I was in the opinion that drafting him made no sense with DD on the roster. When they gave DeMar his extension off the top of the season, drafting Ross made even less sense. Now with Gay here, Ross is just going to get buried on the bench. Good player, but dumb pick. He needs to put a tonne of work into his game to be the first wing off the bench, but jeez louise you're then paying Fields all that coin to do what? And like it or not Anderson is the best wing off our bench right now. Hindsight is a bitch, but imagine if we had traded our pick to Houston for say Scola or drafted Drummond.

Comment

• colef5 wrote: View Post
              If it was possible, would you go back in time and trade Terrence Ross with Calderon in the place of Ed Davis?
              I absolutely would. Davis is further along in his develpment, fills a position that we are weak at (back up PF), was playing very good ball, and still has a lot of upside. Ross has potential, but he plays a position that we are pretty deep at (DD, Gay, Fields and Anderson are all we need) and he has a lot more bust potential then Davis, who has already proven he can succeed in a back up role. Now, if Bargs was playing well it's a different story becsaue then we don't have minutes for Ed, but in the current situation, I keep Ed over Ross all day.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• I finally voted, and I put Yes for the following reasons:

(a) Keeping Davis would mean Bargnani would have been even less useful to us. Trade away!
                (b) Ross' role on the team may never grow because the 3 guys ahead of him in depth chart have huge contracts.
                (c) Big men take longer to develop, but Davis was nearly there already.
                (d) It's always easier to find retreads at the SG position than big men (see Anderson)

I still think Ross may end up having a better career than Davis, but in our situation we may have been better off trading Ross.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                  I finally voted, and I put Yes for the following reasons:

(a) Keeping Davis would mean Bargnani would have been even less useful to us. Trade away!
                  (b) Ross' role on the team may never grow because the 3 guys ahead of him in depth chart have huge contracts.
                  (d) It's always easier to find retreads at the SG position than big men (see Anderson)

I still think Ross may end up having a better career than Davis, but in our situation we may have been better off trading Ross.
                  I agree it would have been better to give up our log jam at 3, but the Grizzly's know how to pull off a trade -- get rid of a whiny,high-paid, mediocre shooter for a solid backup PF, who could become a starter. And then get an expiring contract that you turn around and trade to fill the whole you just created at the 3. Grizzly's a better, more affordable team. Raptors, not so much.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                    I finally voted, and I put Yes for the following reasons:

I put no:

here are the counter points:

a) We need no other reasons to trade bargnani and neither did management.
                    b) Ross' role will expand as he becomes a more consistent shooter (#letrosstake1000shotsaday) and he'll be extremely important to this team when that happens
                    c) Even though big men take longer to develop, that doesn't change the fact that ED's ceiling was never that high
                    d) good point, but PF's that get you 8-10 rbds a game per 48 minutes, shoot 75% from the FT line and can only score in the flow of the offense are also pretty easy to find (see Tristan Thompson, Jason Maxiel, tyler hansborough, Aaron Gray or any player one step above reggie evans.)

At the end of the day, if Ross can develop to play at both ends of the floor, he will be extremely valuable to this team going forward

Comment

• Point I like to focus on ... beyond Gay being on the roster: Jonas is the future.

Our window as contenders can only happen when he is in his prime - and with the league going the way it is with 1-big lineups so often, it would seem wise to keep the dynamic young wing with a high ceiling ... rather than a blue collar big with payday coming a few years sooner (unlike Ross, who also has 4 years of rookie scale).

The Gay trade makes us a solid middle-tier East playoff team. The 'Jonas era' will incorporate whichever pieces fit the best.
                      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Keep as is. IMO, Davis's ceiling is Amir Johnson (who Amir himself is a backup player).

My friend, what makes you think Ross has more potential and a higher ceiling than Davis?

I respect your opinion but I tihnk Ed has more potential and upside remaining than Terrence does.

What does Ross do well?

Comment

• Absolutely not.

Trading Davis means Colangelo can't extend him for 10-15 mil more than he's worth next year.
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• It is MUCH easier to find a player built like Ed Davis with his (limited) skill set, than to find what potentially could be found in Ross. Ross was way more valuable than Ed, and still is.
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• PFs and PGs are pebbles on a beach you can find them everywhere.

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
                                My friend, what makes you think Ross has more potential and a higher ceiling than Davis?

I respect your opinion but I tihnk Ed has more potential and upside remaining than Terrence does.

What does Ross do well?
                                It's just my opinion based on watching both play. Ross, at this early stage of his game, doesn't do anything particularly well. But aside from rebounding, I could say the same about Davis.

Right now, my excitement for Ross is based primarily on his raw athleticism. If he can harness that ability, and fine tune his 3 point shooting and defense, I think he's a great fit next to Gay in the starting lineup.

If we didn't already have Amir, I might think twice about giving up Davis. But I don't see a scenario where Davis leapfrogs Amir if both are on the roster.

Comment

Working...
                                X