Everything Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    no one saying shit cause rudy gotten the job done when it counted...hopfully we see his % get better but i cant complain about the results since hes been here
    Except he's not. He's the face of the franchise so he's getting all the credit. He made some big plays in some games but others have stepped up to win the game majority of the games (AA, Lucas, Demar, Bargs and Amir).

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      Except he's not. He's the face of the franchise so he's getting all the credit. He made some big plays in some games but others have stepped up to win the game majority of the games (AA, Lucas, Demar, Bargs and Amir).
      others have stepped it up yes but rudy has hit 2 game winners since being here & his pressence has helped give confidence to his team mates. if we go on a losing streak im sure plenty of people will point the finger at rudy then..it comes with the title of Franchise Guy...not sure he is that guy but we'll see soon im sure

Comment

• STAT-LINE: 19/43 = 44% (43 shots to get 48 points), 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 6 steals, 9 turnovers

When you're winning, that stat-line is applauded.

When you're losing, that stat-line is Bargnani-esque in its scoring inefficiency!

For the record, that is the combined starting wing stat-line from last night's game (Gay & DeRozan).

Perspective is a wonderful thing... and it just goes to show that winning cures all!

Comment

• NBA.com/Stats ‏@nbastats

Since acquiring R. Gay & his athleticism, @Raptors (6-2) are averaging 19.1 PPG off TOs & 16.1 second-chance PPG. Both would rank 2nd in NBA
          Retweeted by Toronto Raptors
          Rudy Gay brings much more to the table than his scoring. Big difference to the key Raptor players over the last 3 seasons.

Comment

• Rudy taking those shots keeps the defense honest. Just because they don't go in doesn't mean they still don't offer some value. Those missed shots are KEY to our wins, if you ask me.

And as Matt pointed out, his presense offers so much more than a bad shooting percentage.

Comment

• lack of estrogen

Comment

• http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...sing-disguise/

Q.: Firstly, there are a couple of comments you made that were perceived to be critical of your former Griz teammates and Memphis. What did you mean Feb. 12 when you were quoted saying “It's amazing what you can do when your teammates are behind you” after scoring a game-winning basket to beat Denver?

A.: I was talking about that game. I was in foul trouble. It’s crazy how people are hanging on every word when I’m not even there. I was talking about a basketball game. I almost fouled out and they wanted me to take the last shot. My teammates were behind me. You know what I mean? I was still learning the offense and that wasn’t my best shooting game, and they still had the faith in me to say go win the game.

Q.: What did you mean when asked ‘What do you miss about Memphis?” and you said “nothing.”

A.: Yeah. I said ‘nothing’ because I was mad. Think about it. If you’re somebody who has done so much in that community and in that city and then out of nowhere just get thrown away, you’d be mad too. Shoot. That’s where I lived. Obviously, there’s stuff I miss about it. I miss my house. I miss the people. I was mad. But I’m thankful for everybody who helped me there and I love the people there. To the organization … this year, I can’t have any pity for the organization because of how they handled the trade. The city? Yeah, I miss it. Hopefully I still have fans there. There are people there who were great to me. David Porter has been a mentor to me since I got there. There are people in Memphis I definitely miss.

Q.: What do you think about the trade now?

A.: When you get traded you’ve got to move on. What’s crazy is they never told me I was on the market. It could have been handled totally different. I felt like we could have made moves and took a run at a championship. That was on my mind. I was thinking damn we built this team from the ground up. They can say what they want about us – that we couldn’t play together and all of that. But at the end of the day we were a team and we did a lot for each other. The real people that know me know that I was with the team and I was trying to win.

Q.: What’s your opinion of the package the Griz got in return?

A.: I’ve watched two games since I’ve been gone. Tayshaun is a good player. I guess that’s what they wanted -- a guy who doesn’t need the ball. Tay is a good person and a good player. You can’t downplay what he’s done. He’s a champion. Austin has a lot of potential. People in Toronto love Ed Davis. If they think they can go all the way with it, more power to them.

Q.: What’s your reaction to Griz owner Robert Pera’s assertion that the Griz are a “far more dangerous playoff team” because of the trade?

A.: Well, good luck. Of course they want to make their stuff look good. They’ve got rookie GMs and owners trying to justify what they’re doing and I’ve moved on. That’s the only thing that’s surprised me is even after a trade my name is still being brought up with ownership. It’s crazy. That’s what’s really crazy. Y’all forced me to move on so why don’t y’all move on. Live with your decision. I’ve already moved on. I’m thinking about the Toronto Raptors. That’s what I am now. Those guys (in Memphis) are my boys. I talked to Zach (Randolph on Monday) and I’ve talked to Mike (Conley). That relationship isn’t something that just ends. But I’m not thinking about the Grizzlies on a professional level right now.

Q.: Did you ask for a trade?

A.: No. I never forced their hand. I know it’s a business. Everybody in the whole league knew they were going to have to make a move. We at least thought it was going to be over the summer.

Q.: Coach Lionel Hollins wanted to keep the team together, too. What was your relationship with Hollins?

A.: With him, we had a relationship where sometimes we went through good and bad times. He’d say some things that would make me think and I’d say something to make him think. That’s a good player/coach relationship. There were times during the middle of every season when he’d call me in a say I was playing (poorly), and he’d try to motivate me. We were out in the open with everything. He’s been there to help me since I got there.

Q.: What did Raptors coach Dwane Casey initially say to you that stuck?

A.: He said, ‘We need you to be great in order for us to be good.’ Obviously, now I’m in a situation where I feel like the floor is open. I’m still being me. I’m just allowed to be me more because the floor is open. I can go out there and use all of my talents. I could have done it in Memphis maybe. But when you have so many good players you sacrifice.

Q.: How have you been received by fans in Toronto?

A.: It’s been great. The fans really come out. As of right now this has been a blessing in disguise for me. I want to build something here. With DeMar (DeRozan) and Kyle and Andrea (Bargnani) the sky is the limit.

Q.: What will your mindset be when the game tips off against the Memphis Grizzlies? Will you try to score a lot to prove a point?

A.: Nah. I think you’ve just got to let the game come to you and play for your teammates. Honestly, I’ll be ready to get it over with. It’ll be weird but not as weird as when I finally play in Memphis.

Comment

• Nice find!
                  Found this one interesting:
                  With DeMar (DeRozan) and Kyle and Andrea (Bargnani) the sky is the limit.
                  Guess he's a fan of Andrea?

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Nice find!
                    Found this one interesting:

Guess he's a fan of Andrea?
                    I think he meant Jonas?.....

Comment

• Ugh, it was a poor game by our two best players. Gay was really, really poor tonight. Got caught up in trying to do it himself. I understand he's the leader, and we're going to rely on him for a lot, BUT, it's still a team game.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                        Ugh, it was a poor game by our two best players. Gay was really, really poor tonight. Got caught up in trying to do it himself. I understand he's the leader, and we're going to rely on him for a lot, BUT, it's still a team game.
                        Nailed it.

If this were any other team or not his 1st time going against his former team I would be concerned. If it happens again vs. Memphis I'll be pissed. I'm not condoning it now but I do understand it.

I am pleased with Raps performance overall considering the situation. Grizz are a great team and you know they were just as fired up to play the Raps as Gay was to play former team.

I'm a broken record but Boozer would have looked good tonight.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Nailed it.

If this were any other team or not his 1st time going against his former team I would be concerned. If it happens again vs. Memphis I'll be pissed. I'm not condoning it now but I do understand it.

I am pleased with Raps performance overall considering the situation. Grizz are a great team and you know they were just as fired up to play the Raps as Gay was to play former team.

I'm a broken record but Boozer would have looked good tonight.
                          The overall team play was really solid, I thought Lowry was trying to do his best all night when his two options aren't doing so great. Amir and Gray really did solid jobs, but, we have to remember they were trying to guard two all-star big men. Anderson was awesome on both ends, and like Rautins had mentioned (I know, I'm quoting Rautins), "Anderson thrives in physical games."

Memphis was a bar fight, and Anderson was that one guy who split it up, but his friends weren't strong enough.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Unlike Bargs, Rudy actually plays defense. He also drives to the hoop to initiate contact, its too bad the Refs never look when he does get fouled.
                            @RavNation

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                              Ugh, it was a poor game by our two best players. Gay was really, really poor tonight. Got caught up in trying to do it himself. I understand he's the leader, and we're going to rely on him for a lot, BUT, it's still a team game.
                              Gay has been poor since he got here but everyone has been ignoring it because we were winning. If it wasn't for others in those games Gay wouldn't even have been in a position to hit that game winner. With the way he's been playing he's utter crap on offense. He is doing the other things but offense has been off since he got here, hell all season.

Rudy Gay 20.2 PT .379 of 20.2 FG .846 of 4.3 FT .275 of 4.4 3P 6.8/1.9 RB 2.6 AS 0.7 BL 2.6 ST 2.4 TO 3.2 PF 38.1 MN 9/8 GS (last 9 games)

38% FG 28% 3pt. It's a joke that anyone is defending his offense. His TS % is in the dumpster too. I really hope he steps it up but so far he is showing why Memphis thought he wasn't worth the salary and got rid of him.
                              Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:50 AM.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                                Gay has been poor since he got here but everyone has been ignoring it because we were winning. If it wasn't for others in those games Gay wouldn't even have been in a position to hit that game winner. With the way he's been playing he's utter crap on offense. He is doing the other things but offense has been off since he got here, hell all season.

I do agree with your sentiment, but I also figure raps play to the oppositions level anyways, so they would've needed to make a big bucket in the final minute anyways. Rudy has answered the call twice near the buzzer, more than any Raptor has done in years sadly.

Comment

Working...
                                X